Do These Cycle Boosters Actually Work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LoachLover

Snails Beware
Reaction score
In the past I've always just gone with the fishless cycle when starting a new tank. However, three months ago I began working at Petco (Yes I know, I've practically joined the enemy haha) and a very very common problem I run into is, people wanting to buy a fish tank, and bring home new fish the same day. Usually when you try to explain the fishless cycle to them, they get a glazed over look and then just start getting confused and upset. So I've been looking closer at some of the products we sell on the shelf to try and find a solution to this annoying problem. I came up with three different possibilities with Biozyme, API Stress Zyme+, and Nutrafin Cycle. After looking online I also heard of a product called BioSpira, which had to be refrigerated. However I've discovered that they apparently no longer make the BioSpira for freshwater, and that it no longer needs to be refrigerated, and that the new equivalent is called Tetra Safestart.

So now what I want to know is if anybody here has any experience (Good or bad) with these products. Please try not to just spew things you've heard along the chinese telephone, if you don't have any personal experience with it, or at least have a friend who has experience with it. I don't want to be just chasing rumor or just going off of what the bottle says.

Regards,
Josh

Very short and sweet answer--- NO they dont work... a few years ago when I knew nothing about fish keeping I went out a bought a tank AND fish in the same day... read a little about cycling, went back to PetSupermarket to complain why they didnt explain ANYTHING to me... they talked me into buying Cycle,... I used it and saw no results of it doing anything whatsoever... so was stuck in a fish in cycle, gladly with multiple daily water changes i lost no fish ....

ok, maybe not so short :crazy: .. but I hope it was sweet enough to meet your expectations..... SNAKE OIL

I have heard negative results in regards to Cycle, which means I should probably check it off the list ;). Too bad most people aren't willing to listen.

I have heard negative results in regards to Cycle, which means I should probably check it off the list ;). Too bad most people aren't willing to listen.

I used it successfully when I initially set up my Malawi tank.
Day 1: A bottle of Tetra Safe Start
Day 2: 6 Fish
A week later: Another 15 fish
A month later: Another 15 fish

I never had an ammonia or nitrite spike.

And a good friend of mine has used it successfully too.

I have said this before on this forum. I believe the success of the product is how it is stored. It's live bacteria, so needs to be kept within certain temp parameters. Off hand, I think the max temp it should be stored at is 30*C. If this is exceeded, then it's going to damage the bacteria in a bottle.

Tetra (and the other manufacturers) are known for the quality of their products. I don't think they would be selling Safe Start just as a money making con.

My 2p anyway.

Thanks
Squidward

In the past I've always just gone with the fishless cycle when starting a new tank. However, three months ago I began working at Petco (Yes I know, I've practically joined the enemy haha) and a very very common problem I run into is, people wanting to buy a fish tank, and bring home new fish the same day. Usually when you try to explain the fishless cycle to them, they get a glazed over look and then just start getting confused and upset. So I've been looking closer at some of the products we sell on the shelf to try and find a solution to this annoying problem. I came up with three different possibilities with Biozyme, API Stress Zyme+, and Nutrafin Cycle. After looking online I also heard of a product called BioSpira, which had to be refrigerated. However I've discovered that they apparently no longer make the BioSpira for freshwater, and that it no longer needs to be refrigerated, and that the new equivalent is called Tetra Safestart.

So now what I want to know is if anybody here has any experience (Good or bad) with these products. Please try not to just spew things you've heard along the chinese telephone, if you don't have any personal experience with it, or at least have a friend who has experience with it. I don't want to be just chasing rumor or just going off of what the bottle says.

Regards,
Josh

they simply dont work, though there are some which show promise. but they need kept chilled, and have a short shelf life. but ANYTHING, that is not chilled, cannot and will not work. even then, they show less success as a % of those who use it, than you would expect, from chance.

ATM, these things are still in the same category as Aquarium Sale, utterly useless, used only to fill the coffers of the LFS.

So the question is, did the old BioSpira (Other than being a bit inconsistent it sounds) work better than the new products out there? I've heard more positive about it than I have about the others.

Oh goodie another controversial subject in the same day :lol:

Ill be honest I have followed a few posts on this subject over the years with amusement and also interest.

To be honest and with out using the telephone thing :lol: :blink:

Getting serious for a moment the only thing missing is irrefutable proof that these additives do work.

The get out clause.

By the above statement I am not accusing anyone that thinks they work is a liar or anything. if you got it I would love to see it.

Listening to the intelligent people here it just seems impossible to put beneficial bacteria in a bottle and keep them alive without sell by dates on the side. There shelf life would be VERY short!

I take my hat of to you Loachlover for what you are trying to do well I would if I had a hat (out of serious mode if you had not noticed)

No seriously your intent is honourable but what you seek is probably the Holy grail of tropical fish keeping.
Good luck and if you figure it out count me in as a partner because I would love 50% of the takings :good:

Regards onebto.

I know this is against the rules of the post as i don’t have 1st hand experience - but i would like to add that bacteria could happily live (or at least be in some suspended state) in a sealed bottle. I am no chemist / biologist but im sure it is doable.

An example (all be it a bad one) is 'Pro biotic yoghurt' that has 'good bacteria' for your stomach (i say this is a bad example, because most don't contain any such thing and is a marketing ploy. sounds familiar?!)
Another example would be vaccinations - these little glass vials don’t have to be refrigerated all the time (to my limited knowledge) but they contain bacteria that isn't DOA

In short - this has little relevance because i don't have experience, but you can’t rule them out just because they are not in a fridge!

I know this is against the rules of the post as i don't have 1st hand experience - but i would like to add that bacteria could happily live (or at least be in some suspended state) in a sealed bottle. I am no chemist / biologist but im sure it is doable.

An example (all be it a bad one) is 'Pro biotic yoghurt' that has 'good bacteria' for your stomach (i say this is a bad example, because most don't contain any such thing and is a marketing ploy. sounds familiar?!)
Another example would be vaccinations - these little glass vials don't have to be refrigerated all the time (to my limited knowledge) but they contain bacteria that isn't DOA

In short - this has little relevance because i don't have experience, but you can't rule them out just because they are not in a fridge!

Like you I have no clue about bacteria however I am not going to wildly speculate about something on sale for humans to consume and a bacteria that consumes Ammonia and another that consumes Nitrites.

Most have reported them as not working because they have tried them themselves or have helped people that have tried them out of a small disaster in there tank because someone told them they could rely on it.

If someone came up with one that really did work they would be ridiculously wealthy.
but there you go.

Regards onebto.

I know this is against the rules of the post as i don’t have 1st hand experience - but i would like to add that bacteria could happily live (or at least be in some suspended state) in a sealed bottle. I am no chemist / biologist but im sure it is doable.

Another example would be vaccinations - these little glass vials don’t have to be refrigerated all the time (to my limited knowledge) but they contain bacteria that isn't DOA

In short - this has little relevance because i don't have experience, but you can’t rule them out just because they are not in a fridge!

Just to chuck in my 2p to do with the yoghurt thing. My girlfriend is a nurse and has filed me in with the facts.
Yoghurts do not per say contain good bacteria they hold a series of enzymes in them that are good for the body and the little bacteria that they do hold is kept alive per say yoghurt is a breeding ground for bacteria. So they are not to be compared to cycle boosters. She also said (she has kept fish for years) they can only work if kept refrigerated and for a few days maybe a week max as they will starve with lack of food in the "sealed bottle" so by the time you get you bottle home it is nothing more then a bottle of dead bacteria (no use nor orniment)

Hi All,

Various of you above are just highlighting the people who think the product is a waste of time and doesn't work.

What about those (myself included) who have used the product and have found that it does work?

Just because you don't know how the manufacturers produce the bacteria, or how they get it to remain dormant but alive, doesn't mean that your theories are correct.

The bottle of Tetra Safe Start does have an expiry date. (A few months), and it does have a temperature range at which it can safely be stored.

I have used this argument before. If the delivery man drives around with the Safe Start in the back of his van on a nice hot summers day, yes, the temps will exceed the reccommended. So if your LFS is last on his rounds, your bottle will probably be compromised. Perhaps it is up to the manufacturers to deal with this issue of delivery?
I also know that my LFS refuses to sell the Tetra Safe Start because Tetra refuse to provide them with a fridge to store it in. But they do have similar products by other manufacturers that have given them a fridge.

Thanks
Squidward

Hi All,

Various of you above are just highlighting the people who think the product is a waste of time and doesn't work.

What about those (myself included) who have used the product and have found that it does work?

Just because you don't know how the manufacturers produce the bacteria, or how they get it to remain dormant but alive, doesn't mean that your theories are correct.

The bottle of Tetra Safe Start does have an expiry date. (A few months), and it does have a temperature range at which it can safely be stored.

I have used this argument before. If the delivery man drives around with the Safe Start in the back of his van on a nice hot summers day, yes, the temps will exceed the reccommended. So if your LFS is last on his rounds, your bottle will probably be compromised. Perhaps it is up to the manufacturers to deal with this issue of delivery?
I also know that my LFS refuses to sell the Tetra Safe Start because Tetra refuse to provide them with a fridge to store it in. But they do have similar products by other manufacturers that have given them a fridge.

Thanks
Squidward

only problem here is, it works for too few to say its anything but just luck. you need to be well over 50% success, just to get by dumb luck. figures of 90% or more are needed to say "it works". and it gets nowhere near that sort of success rate.

I'm not decrying you, or your comments. but unless you have an none treated control, you have no idea if it was the additive that works. you may well be convinced, but that's meaningless, in terms of proof.

Its not "we don't know how they do it", its simply they cant. dead bacteria only breed resistance, not fresh bacteria. unless its alive, its useless.

try asking a scientist, not someone hoping to make some money. only one knows what they are talking about.

Hi All,

Thanks
Squidward

only problem here is, it works for too few to say its anything but just luck. you need to be well over 50% success, just to get by dumb luck. figures of 90% or more are needed to say "it works". and it gets nowhere near that sort of success rate.

I'm not decrying you, or your comments. but unless you have an none treated control, you have no idea if it was the additive that works. you may well be convinced, but that's meaningless, in terms of proof.

Its not "we don't know how they do it", its simply they cant. dead bacteria only breed resistance, not fresh bacteria. unless its alive, its useless.

try asking a scientist, not someone hoping to make some money. only one knows what they are talking about.

Well here's an idea.
Is there anywhere one could send an unmarked sample to and ask them to test the sample and give a thorough report on what it is?

But none-the-less it still does work for some people. So to say that it is useless is not correct.

Regards,
Josh
I have a couple of ideas, firstly you could print off a few sheets on the nitrogen cycle to give to potential customers
Secondly you could ask your boss if you could set up an experimental tank and test each product

If somebody had enough money, and reason to even try it. They could buy several bottles from several different vendors, and try them out and see what the success rate is. That being said, it seems like so many people here are already convinced they don't work, so why put forth the effort of the money.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back