Controlling Nitrite/Nitrate Levels (Water Parameters)

I have both types of siphons/vacuums. The one with the hand pump has a wider hose so drains my tanks faster but is more expensive then the simple siphon. Like @Colin_T stated the bump only gets the siphon started.

Still experiencing algae / murky water after 3 water changes. Added Algone and 2 Wonder-Shells to help clear the water. Please help ID this shrimp? What would I need to purchase to re-mineralize distilled water for this shrimp? Iā€™m finding that my tap water is really murky. See photos.

Attachments

• 77D7CD20-3367-4338-B284-5EDB6EB90E9D.jpeg
    77D7CD20-3367-4338-B284-5EDB6EB90E9D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • E91FC99A-4F25-418E-B7D2-2D1080172A68.jpeg
    E91FC99A-4F25-418E-B7D2-2D1080172A68.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • 324B9EFB-B4CB-452A-A58D-D1D1D3DBA7A4.png
    324B9EFB-B4CB-452A-A58D-D1D1D3DBA7A4.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 89
Blue dream shrimp. Put a glass of tap water in a jar and see if its murky, I think it's more likely to be originating in the tank.

Blue dream shrimp. Put a glass of tap water in a jar and see if its murky, I think it's more likely to be originating in the tank.
Nope, the water is murky. Iā€™m also having problems in a 5G tank that I also did a water change in (without the Cholla wood).

Nope, the water is murky. Iā€™m also having problems in a 5G tank that I also did a water change in (without the Cholla wood).
That's interesting, has it always been that way?

That's interesting, has it always been that way?
Yeah. Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™ll need to use distilled water for that as well. Wish I could get an RO/DI system, but distilled water is the next best thing.

edit: did a 4th water change with half collected rain water and half distilled hoping it helps. everyone seems a lot happier including the Nerite.

84BAE4E8-C98C-4519-A7BE-560968AC7F84.jpeg

Attachments

• D7F75613-AF37-4633-84CD-634B0F51847B.jpeg
    D7F75613-AF37-4633-84CD-634B0F51847B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • E10C129E-6B88-4D1D-90A7-D1CEDB9DA639.jpeg
    E10C129E-6B88-4D1D-90A7-D1CEDB9DA639.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 645F902B-67BE-424B-854B-EC459C7D5116.jpeg
    645F902B-67BE-424B-854B-EC459C7D5116.jpeg
    826.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Added Algone and 2 Wonder-Shells to help clear the water.
As @Colin_T has already suggested please stop adding stuff to your water. It only confuses the issue and will do more harm than good. You don't say how long the tank has been setup for but new tanks can take a while to stabilise (even up to a few months).
The re-mineralising salts you posted are a good product, but should only be used with distilled or RO water. Please don't add it to your tap water.

As @Colin_T has already suggested please stop adding stuff to your water. It only confuses the issue and will do more harm than good. You don't say how long the tank has been setup for but new tanks can take a while to stabilise (even up to a few months).
The re-mineralising salts you posted are a good product, but should only be used with distilled or RO water. Please don't add it to your tap water.
Yes, Iā€™m aware the salts are for distilled water. I was just asking for possible future use. Iā€™m not planning on using tap water from now on due to the murky water. I was thinking a mix of rain water and distilled water. As far as the ā€œextra stuffā€, Iā€™m using the Algone(clear nitrates/algae) and wonder shells (magnesium/calcium). The algae in the water column is the main problem, but the nitrates are eliminated. Iā€™ve had the tank running for a week (since April 28th).

Last edited:
Something has been overlooked here, and that is the cholla wood, since you said the water went very cloudy when this was added. I looked cholla wood up and it seems to be from a cactus. I would not use this in an aquarium. It may well be dissolving substances into the water. Cacti do not live in water naturally.

Second issue repeats what seangee wisely said...never use chemicals in an aquarium to deal with problems like algae, cloudy water, snails, etc. These will most likely do more harm than good, even if they do work, or seem to. An aquarium functions according to the laws of biology and chemistry, and every chemical added is interfering with these and likely to make things much worse for the inhabitants.

Third, as for murky tap water, this may be harmless. Seasonal influx of rain and snow melt into some reservoirs may add more particulate matter to the water. This is generally harmless. But of course, it could be some other issue too, which may or may not be harmless. But if you are on public water and they are not saying it is dangerous to drink, it is probably OK with respect to the cloudiness.

Last edited:
Third, as for murky tap water, this may bee harmless. Seasonal influx of rain and snow melt into some reservoirs may add more particulate matter to thee water. This is generally harmless. But of course, it cold be some other issue too, which may or may not be harmless. But if you are on public water and they are not saying it is dangerous to drink, it is probably OK with respect to the cloudiness.
This is in all likelihood true. Shrimps are particularly sensitive and these are still alive by all accounts.

86 degrees is pretty warm for snail and shrimp. Higher temperature also leads to decreased oxygen and creates better breeding grounds for bad bacteria. Turn the temp down to around 76 instead of 86

The cholla wood is advertised as safe for Plecos and Shrimp for biofilm (since itā€™s slowly decaying). I did lower the temperatures yesterday after seeing that they thrive better under lower temps. My heater doesnā€™t disperse heat that well, so itā€™s not exactly 86 degrees. It takes a while to come up to temperature. Iā€™ve since lowered it to about 76. Iā€™m planning on adding a ton of plants to combat the algae. (Marimo Moss Balls, Water Sprites, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Dwarf Baby Tears, Java Fern). The 2 snails and 2 baby dream shrimp are still alive. Iā€™m hoping to get this problem fixed / ideal conditions before I add more to the colony. I am concerned about the murky water and I donā€™t mind getting a ton of distilled water for water changes.

Last edited:
I also have heard that cholla wood is good for tanks

The cholla wood is advertised as safe for Plecos and Shrimp for biofilm (since itā€™s slowly decaying). I did lower the temperatures yesterday after seeing that they thrive better under lower temps. My heater doesnā€™t disperse heat that well, so itā€™s not exactly 86 degrees. It takes a while to come up to temperature. Iā€™ve since lowered it to about 76. Iā€™m planning on adding a ton of plants to combat the algae. (Marimo Moss Balls, Water Sprites, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Dwarf Baby Tears, Java Fern). The 2 snails and 2 baby dream shrimp are still alive. Iā€™m hoping to get this problem fixed / ideal conditions before I add more to the colony. I am concerned about the murky water and I donā€™t mind getting a ton of distilled water for water changes.
RO water is better for your fish than distilled water. Java ferns are slow growing so they do not absorb nutrients at a higher rate, moss balls are actually a form of algae themselves but are also effective with dealing with nitrates.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back