Combining Tanks & Increasing Volume

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Peepss

Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
hey everyone!

I have a couple tanks currently that I, ideally, would like to combine into a single, large tank. I have a 10 gallon that has become way over stocked with guppy fry (thank u very much guppies) with an Opaline Gourami as the piĆØce de rĆ©sistance and a 10 gallon with a few Angels and some shrimp. Both are heavily planted and are extremely easy to maintain.

I am considering a 75+ gallon tall tank specifically to appease the angels and am planning on moving all of my plants, rocks, wood, etc. as well as obviously adding many many many more. I have various floating plants, those tiny little floating clover things, java ferns, crypts, etc. and would add plenty of ā€œsafe spacesā€ to give everyone a place to feel comfortable.

Has anyone had experience with Gouramis and Angels together? Specifically in a tank like this? My Gourami was once aggressive toward a new angel- who I ultimately moved to the other tank, but he obviously has territory issues and the tank is not large. He ate a few guppy fry (can ya blame him, theyā€™re everywhere) and he has claimed a heavily planted corner of the tank to spend most of his time. He is not directly aggressive toward any of the adult fish in the tank (julii Cory, neon, 2 adult male guppies) unless they get in the way of his food- but for the most part he is well tempered and does not nip or attack even when they approach ā€œhis domainā€. This gives me reason to believe this could work.

The angels, lovely as they are, are still cichlids in nature and are what worry me the most- I have a male and female adult pair that have lived in harmony for quite a while- and the small angel (who was moved from the Gourami tank) minds his business, because heā€™s learned if he gets in their way too much, he will get nipped. Especially if they havenā€™t eaten yet. Once again, small tank, theyā€™ve all grown, and itā€™s time to move on.

The same behavioral pattern applies in the angel tank- the couple like to be toward the bottom/back of the tank within the heaviest brush of the plants, or front and center waiting for their feeding.

Just looking for some input from you guys, I havenā€™t made any big moves on a new tank just yet, but something needs to happen within the next month.
And, yes, obviously I am going to go through the entire cycling and acclimation process because I know this will not be an easy task and I may lose one along the way. I just canā€™t sit in good conscience and see these babes in these little tanks knowing I could provide them something better. I have all the time and resources available to me to be able to monitor this process extremely carefully and make this a successful transition, so long as I can give each of the bigā€™ns their own space.

Tl;dr do you think a large enough (75-100gl) heavily planted tank will provide enough boundary to safely house a single Gourami and Angels, or would you advise against this based on the general assumed aggressiveness of their genus (species?)?

It is a basic premise that gourami and cichlids do not mix. And here, it is almost inevitable to be disastrous.

Opaline Gourami is the species Trichopodus trichopterus, which has several varieties such as the Opaline, Blue, Gold, Cosby, Marble, 3-spot. All are the same species, and it is one of the most aggressive of the medium-sized gourami species. Not only will one kill its own species depending upon circumstances, they have been known to frequently take a dislike to any other fish.

Obviously the 10g is not sufficient space for this gourami except on its own though that is less than desirable. Re-homing might be advisable.

The angels also need more space but you know that; left in a 10g for much longer will cause serious defects internally and these are not reversible. As a group in the 75g [assuming it is 4-feet (120 cm) in length] you may have serious issues particularly if a pair forms. Separation/re-homing may be your eventual option here too. If one is getting picked on now, as you indicate, this is not going to end well. We cannot change the inherent behaviours programmed into a species which is why it is always best to assume the norm and provide accordingly.

It is a basic premise that gourami and cichlids do not mix. And here, it is almost inevitable to be disastrous.

Opaline Gourami is the species Trichopodus trichopterus, which has several varieties such as the Opaline, Blue, Gold, Cosby, Marble, 3-spot. All are the same species, and it is one of the most aggressive of the medium-sized gourami species. Not only will one kill its own species depending upon circumstances, they have been known to frequently take a dislike to any other fish.

Obviously the 10g is not sufficient space for this gourami except on its own though that is less than desirable. Re-homing might be advisable.

The angels also need more space but you know that; left in a 10g for much longer will cause serious defects internally and these are not reversible. As a group in the 75g [assuming it is 4-feet (120 cm) in length] you may have serious issues particularly if a pair forms. Separation/re-homing may be your eventual option here too. If one is getting picked on now, as you indicate, this is not going to end well. We cannot change the inherent behaviours programmed into a species which is why it is always best to assume the norm and provide accordingly.

Thought so. Iā€™ll move the angels & the rest of the group to a bigger tank & re-evaluate the Gouramiā€™s space

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back