Cat Litter

i thinking more along the lines
of fullers earth a clay based
planting medium

plenty of people have used it in the past and had good results with plants. I have never used it, i prefer JBL aquabasis as a planted substrate, it's cheap and is the best plant substrate IMO.

Right, I've just done a lot of research on this subject and am now using litter.

You have to be careful which you use as some will raise pH in an undesireble way.

The one everyone has been using was Tesco Premium but I couldn't find any. I finally found out that Sophisticat Pink is also acceptable (P@H stock it make sure you use pink the others will raise pH). It is scented - but if you rinse it for about 10 mins in warm water you can remove all trace of it.

You can use it capped or uncapped.

Why would you want to use it?

Well; it is an absorbent - therefore it pulls nutrients into the substrate where rooted plants can use them. It also allows a good network of root hairs to form (which doesn't happen in many substrates)

I rinsed mine, capped, planted and added fish in the space of an hour (mature filter). All fish (and shrimp) were fine - I have been using it as a breeding tank and now have a dozen or so fry in there.

The plants are growing fast and strong - you can really see the dense root hairs where I've planted next to the glass.

Oh and the idea for using cat litter was taken from bonsai tree growers who usually (like us) have to resort to expensive soils and substrates. They did a lot of the early leg work for us but aquascapers have been using this stuff for a few years now and there seems to be no problems - just make sure you get the right type!

Theres a really good photo of an uncapped litter scape on UKAPS somewhere - the red clay of the cat litter looks really good!

Right, I've just done a lot of research on this subject and am now using litter.

You have to be careful which you use as some will raise pH in an undesireble way.

The one everyone has been using was Tesco Premium but I couldn't find any. I finally found out that Sophisticat Pink is also acceptable (P@H stock it make sure you use pink the others will raise pH). It is scented - but if you rinse it for about 10 mins in warm water you can remove all trace of it.

You can use it capped or uncapped.

Why would you want to use it?

Well; it is an absorbent - therefore it pulls nutrients into the substrate where rooted plants can use them. It also allows a good network of root hairs to form (which doesn't happen in many substrates)

I rinsed mine, capped, planted and added fish in the space of an hour (mature filter). All fish (and shrimp) were fine - I have been using it as a breeding tank and now have a dozen or so fry in there.

The plants are growing fast and strong - you can really see the dense root hairs where I've planted next to the glass.

Oh and the idea for using cat litter was taken from bonsai tree growers who usually (like us) have to resort to expensive soils and substrates. They did a lot of the early leg work for us but aquascapers have been using this stuff for a few years now and there seems to be no problems - just make sure you get the right type!

Theres a really good photo of an uncapped litter scape on UKAPS somewhere - the red clay of the cat litter looks really good!

thanks for the info Carl yes when
i get it going i will do a journal
on it
i have had two tanks that size
sitting there doing nothing for
six months

Fullers earth has been used successfully for many years in many aquariums. whilst there are "specific" items sold for the job. Fullers Earth does just as well. it is not scented and has no additives, and as such is, perfect for the job. it can also help you "shape" your tank floor. whilst it can be messy, when making alterations, with care, this causes no problems. its also extremely affordable, making it a win win, substrate.
that's why so many that answered, said it was fine.
there is a thing called the "forum search" if you use it, you can get fascinating results. perhaps looking back to the experiences of others, over time, will give a broader perspective.

one thing that is irrefutable, though, is. it is not any danger to your fish, that is quite clear.

as for being "rude". cant think of anything more rude than someone, who clearly does not have the full facts, stating those who do, are wrong.

@katch. Fullers earth has a ph of 3-3.5. its hard to see how it could raise ph? it is after all its clay. as Tesco Premium states " odour control". even the packing warns you not to use it. Tesco "natural cat litter" states its natural clay. and is a far better choice, and loads cheaper.

@katch. Fullers earth has a ph of 3-3.5. its hard to see how it could raise ph? it is after all its clay. as Tesco Premium states " odour control". even the packing warns you not to use it. Tesco "natural cat litter" states its natural clay. and is a far better choice, and loads cheaper.

cheers raptorrex if that's the
one you say that's the one i
will get is it possible to get
fullers earth at the garden center

as for being "rude". cant think of anything more rude than someone, who clearly does not have the full facts, stating those who do, are wrong.
rude is quoting 2 different ppl and making it out as if theyre the same person. it would be an easily understandable mistake if not for ur seemingly purposeful removal of the timestamp/poster id of the 2nd quote, presumably for deceit. this is evidenced below

It may not have occurred to the OP so I thought i'd confirm that some are scented and therefor to stay away as may have chemicals, some here only have scented in small print so you probably wouldn't realise.

actually NO,you didn't post to help the OP. you posted your view that the advice given, was wrong. all your comments were in the first person.

Isn't it scented?
In which case there are chemicals in it.
I would be reluctant to use as a substrate.

again, what makes you think people would advise the use of "scented", "chemical" laced products?

the 1st quote here (inside ur own quote) is posted by justjon as shown by the timestamp/id. the 2nd quote is from a post by squidward, an entirely different forum user to justjon afaik

also the opinions/statements "I would be reluctant to use as a substrate." and "Some cat litters are scented." cannot be fairly interpreted as claiming ur post/s to be "wrong"

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back