the biffster

Moved On
Reaction score
cat litter
can it be used as a tank substrate
or is it just a planting
medium if it can what type
do i get and were can i get it from

I replied to this in the other topic for you.

I think the other responses will be the same as mine.

yes it can if it is 100% natural clay cat litter and capped with a thick layer of sand or gravel . however i would advise against it . i used it and it had no effect on plant growth at all and made a horrendous mess . if you want to give root feeding plants such as swords some nutrients imo youre better off with normal sand/gravel and root tabs .

pros its cheap
cons forms a big sticky mess , makes gravel vaccing a nightmare as it always seems to manage to come up through the gravel ,

also be very careful when planting in it . you have to be impossibly gentle or you end up with water that looks like gravy .

Isn't it scented?
In which case there are chemicals in it.
I would be reluctant to use as a substrate.

Isn't it scented?

err no. that's why so many people use it.

Some cat litters are scented. :)

yeah. the problem here is, we mean Fullers earth, the product most commonly know as "cat litter". it you buy a bag of "Fullers earth", that's all you get. its taken as, read, you buy "cat litter" with no additives, i guess.

did it not occur to you, when people answered "yes", they knew what they were saying?

It may not have occurred to the OP so I thought i'd confirm that some are scented and therefor to stay away as may have chemicals, some here only have scented in small print so you probably wouldn't realise.

i know the difference between
fullers earth and cat litter
fuller earth is the common name
of cat litter in it basic form
beside that i used to use fuller
earth in the brake drums on a 1920s
lagonda :lol: to get them to work :blink:

It may not have occurred to the OP so I thought i'd confirm that some are scented and therefor to stay away as may have chemicals, some here only have scented in small print so you probably wouldn't realise.

actually NO,you didn't post to help the OP. you posted your view that the advice given, was wrong. all your comments were in the first person.

Isn't it scented?

again, what makes you think people would advise the use of "scented", "chemical" laced products?

actually NO,you didn't post to help the OP. you posted your view that the advice given, was wrong. all your comments were in the first person.

Isn't it scented?

again, what makes you think people would advise the use of "scented", "chemical" laced products?

Sorry but I think I know what I was posting for, no need to be rude.

And your advice was neither wrong or right, as SOME litters are scented, some are not.

Lets calm things a bit :look: :good:

What about some Caribsea Eco-Complete Substrate instead of cat litter? (Im just being logical :hey: )

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back