about cat litter now
it just causes arguments
why is it when you post
something about cat litter
that they think your thick
or something all i asked was
can it be used as a plant medium
or a substrate

dont worry biffo, alls good. any natural clay cat litter (fullers earth) will be fine. not sure there is any difference between brands. but, yes, i think you could get it from a garden centre. though some brands may have higher acidity. this is through incorrect cleaning by the maker. and should not be found too often. perhaps another reason to by the Tesco brand. it should, at least, be consistent.

once again for posterity. Fuller earth is never scented. nor does it have chemicals added. and a quick read on the back, will confirm this.

i wish i never posted
about cat litter now
it just causes arguments
why is it when you post
or a substrate

dont worry biffo, alls good. any natural clay cat litter (fullers earth) will be fine. not sure there is any difference between brands. but, yes, i think you could get it from a garden centre. though some brands may have higher acidity. this is through incorrect cleaning by the maker. and should not be found too often. perhaps another reason to by the Tesco brand. it should, at least, be consistent.

once again for posterity. Fuller earth is never scented. nor does it have chemicals added. and a quick read on the back, will confirm this.

cheers raptorrex why is it some
people think its only use is as cat litter
we used to use in the garage to soak dropped
oil up as well

i wish i never posted
about cat litter now
it just causes arguments
why is it when you post
or a substrate

cheers raptorrex why is it some
people think its only use is as cat litter
we used to use in the garage to soak dropped
oil up as well

well i have never heard of fullers earth being used for that. it gets very slippery, and soggy. though the none fullers earth (as far as i know) litter is/can be, used.

i think its down to people no having the experience, of other uses. after all, we do call it "cat litter". if MUM buys cat litter for the cat. what would you think it was for? lol. if you see my point. :hyper:

though those with, obviously, no experience. who make unfounded comments, in criticism, of those who have. are not much help. i think growing up tends to fix that. mind you, it didn't with me. lol :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

there are a vast number of day to day products that have many, and varied uses.

some clays WILL change your pH over time others will not - the brand I suggested will not and the odour control in not a risk or problem as it rinses off entirely.

I can't be bothered to go and find all the links to research and experimentation as I did a hell of a lot of reading before settling on the litter I have used. But feel free to trawl UKAPS and various Bonsai forums for yourselves.

I stand by my recommendation as it doesn't go soggy and messy like some can and it looks great uncapped and it 100% won't mess with your pH.

@biffster - if you are unsure I'd suggest you do more of your own research and remember that not all advice you get offered on forums will be good advice.

@raptorrex - you come across as confrontational and arrogant, this may not be your intention but you do. I'd also suggest you go off and do some more reading about the effects of various clays used in things like cat litter on the pH of soils and water before making statments that are just untrue.

@raptorrex - I'd also suggest you go off and do some more reading about the effects of various clays used in things like cat litter on the pH of soils and water before making statments that are just untrue.

i an aware of the effect of most things in a tank. however, there needs to be significant exchange, using fullers earth as a sub stater, makes "significant exchange" less likely. and thats ignoring the tanks natural buffering. as fullers earth has a PH of3-3.5 it may make the water more acidic, not alkaline. therefore lowering the PH not raising it. making a true statement! well, in this case.

the biffster. Have you heard or read about the Walstad method? Very cheap option using normal potting soil. Bit of info here: http://theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

not been a new comer to keeping
fish i have tried all way of keeping
fish and tanks i think it was some time in the eighties
that i heard about tanks been kept
with high levels of planting and
low stocking levels and no filters
i did try this with a 5x2x2 some time
ago i managed 6 months before calling it
a day due to the water changes that were
needed to keep the water in the parameters needed
i was going down the cat litter route to
see if it works i have heard a lot about