Breeding guppies as a hobby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Maddie2409

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Hope everyone is well!! I have a question. I have kept guppies for years and recently have thought about selling some of my fry on as part of my hobby! Does anyone else do this? Do you find you have to many fry and you can't sell them all? What platforms do you use to sell your fish? I will only have small batches at a time as I am definitely not a professional breeder it's just for my hobby. Any help will be amazing!!

I used to breed fish and sold them to pet shops. I could sell everything I produced. The main thing the shops want is good quality fish (no deformities or missing bits), and fish that are the same size as what they sell in the shop.

The best temperature for rearing baby tropical fish is 28C.
Feed the adults 3-5 times a day for at least 2 weeks before breeding them and while the females are carrying the young.
Feed the babies 3-5 times a day too. Make sure the babies have fat stomachs and look like pregnant guppies.
Do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate to dilute nutrients and to encourage growth.

Baby fish can be fed on newly hatched brineshrimp, microworms and powdered fry food. As they get bigger you can add finely cut marine mix (prawn, fish, squid) and other types of frozen foods.

Within 3 months the fry should be big enough to sell.

Try to separate male and female fry as soon as you can identify the different sexes.

I used to breed fish and sold them to pet shops. I could sell everything I produced. The main thing the shops want is good quality fish (no deformities or missing bits), and fish that are the same size as what they sell in the shop.

The best temperature for rearing baby tropical fish is 28C.
Feed the adults 3-5 times a day for at least 2 weeks before breeding them and while the females are carrying the young.
Feed the babies 3-5 times a day too. Make sure the babies have fat stomachs and look like pregnant guppies.
Do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate to dilute nutrients and to encourage growth.

Baby fish can be fed on newly hatched brineshrimp, microworms and powdered fry food. As they get bigger you can add finely cut marine mix (prawn, fish, squid) and other types of frozen foods.

Within 3 months the fry should be big enough to sell.

Try to separate male and female fry as soon as you can identify the different sexes.

Lovely thank you so much for your help how did you sell to the shops, where did you go what did you ask?! Thank you for all the help really appreciate it

I just went into my local pet shops and asked them if they wanted to buy any fish. They asked how many I had, I said x amount. They said yes they would take them or no they weren't interested.

You can also ring them and ask them over the phone. Just say I have 20 male guppies for sale and was wondering if you want some. If they say yes, ask them what they pay. Most shops here in Australia will pay 1/2 retail price in store credit, and 1/3 store price in cash. If I sold large numbers to wholesalers, they usually paid 1/4 price in cash but they also took hundreds of fish at a time.

When I knew what the shops wanted, I went home, caught the fish out and put them in bags with tank water, sealed the bags up and put them in an esky, and took them to the shops.

Sometimes the shops said yes but bring them in on a particular day. So I would bag them up and take them in on the day they wanted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back