Blackwater 55g Build

Hey that's what happened to my 55 the centerbar seems to develop hairline cracks and will eventually break due to the water volume I used a 27 inch gripper to keep the front and back glass from bowing out then then use some Acrylic rods and glue to reinforce the center bar. But I still don't quite trust the repair so I converted the tank to an 18 gal aquarium and terrarium tank. Good luck with your repair.

Hey NC Aquatics...my bad at the risk of being a day late and several dollars short here are 2 picks from my repair. The first is a gripper bar that I used to squeeze the front and back glass together the second shows the acrylic rods I used to shore up the center bas.. Using an acrylic cement is a lot like welding. I don't believe silicon seal will provide enough strength over time. I hope this helps and if it's too late please keep an eye out on your repairs since water is heavy and can exert quite a force. btw with the squeeze bar I was able to keep the center bar together long enough to use the acrylic cement for the break and add the extra support bars. But be care to not over squeeze the glass.
20201212_084646_Film1.jpg
20201212_084545_Film1.jpg

Fill attempt #3, so far is holding without problems.
20201213_152620.jpg
20201213_151159.jpg

Have to clean the glass and wall still from the glass casualty to my hand. But its holding.

Looks good so far! Glad you figured something out for the support bar, so the whole tank wasn’t ruined.

Probably gonna grab a few more plants, maybe some vals or perhaps a sword or two more.

Looks good so far! Glad you figured something out for the support bar, so the whole tank wasn’t ruined.
Its at least temporary until I can find a replacement :) but im super happy it's holding. This has been a mess of a headache haha

Probably gonna grab a few more plants, maybe some vals or perhaps a sword or two more.

Its at least temporary until I can find a replacement :) but im super happy it's holding. This has been a mess of a headache haha
What’s your avatar? Absolutely stunning fish. :wub:

Got some vals for the tank, ill see how they do
20201213_195332.jpg

And video.

Plan is to add 3 more sterbai corydoras to my existing ones.

No clue on a "centerpiece" but probably won't go with one, my twigs will be the centerpiece fish for this scape (seen early in hopping around the plants

Most reactions

Back