Blackwater 55g Build

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Warning: blood

Stabbed thumb removing the old support brace, needed to glue the wound.

This is quite the adventure :/ but getting progress done at least. I found what I did wrong with the first repair, so working to fix that again.

Attachments

• 20201211_164840.jpg
    20201211_164840.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 72
Am I correct in seeing that as the top center brace was what broke?
Yes top center brace

I stripped the old seal i put yesterday, reapplied new, and a new piece of glass for the main support, and patched under the brace with the glass from before.
Then used a butt ton of silicone. And added 2 more supports on the sides too.

Its crude but I dont care so long as it holds. Lack a saw to cut glass too
20201211_185126.jpg
20201211_191556.jpg

Gonna give it 2 days to set instead.

And that is a plastic brace attached to the trim? In Between the two pieces of glass?

As for cutting glass, if it’s not tempered, it’s easy to cut with a glass cutting tool, like a little pen with a rolling cutter on the tip. I can’t figure out how to link websites yet.

And that is a plastic brace attached to the trim? In Between the two pieces of glass?

As for cutting glass, if it’s not tempered, it’s easy to cut with a glass cutting tool, like a little pen with a rolling cutter on the tip. I can’t figure out how to link websites yet.
Its all good, someone offered a solution.

My bottom frame isn't cracked, so they suggested to switch them out instead as the bottom of the tank is stronger from all the seals and the stand.

Two bloody fingers later, a whole tube of silicone gone, and a lot of fuss, there's a workable solution instead of praying the DIY support holds.

Oh and yes the cracked piece is attached to the trim on both sides.

Sorry, just read further back in the thread and saw that plastic brace had broken.

I hope your fix works, definitely want to give that silicone as much curing time as possible.

All this moving, filling, draining, filling, draining... one of my cories died :/

Ya know this was supposed to be a nice improvement for them. Yet this is the way this is going.

Ahh. That’s terrible. Sorry for the loss.

unfortunately it seems to line up with exactly how 2020 is going.

take care of the finger as well, keep it clean. Hope your luck turns around on this build!

Ahh. That’s terrible. Sorry for the loss.

unfortunately it seems to line up with exactly how 2020 is going.

take care of the finger as well, keep it clean. Hope your luck turns around on this build!
I'm hoping so too. Just paranoid now I'm gonna wake up to more gone.

As for the finger, I glued it but it split open again while I worked and I nicked another finger.

For now I'm dropping the work for tonight, im done. Losing one of my sterbai was the final straw on the camels back for today.

That’s why I stopped using glue on cuts, cures too rigid.

For a while liquid bandaid worked for while I worked in the kitchen, but wore off to quickly.

as a contractor, I mostly use electrical tape. You can wrap it around the finger, open it up to check it, then use the same tape to wrap it again. I keep it in almost all of my tool boxes now just for that reason.

good thing you called it for the night. Aside from misfortunes, your brain needs a break sometimes when things aren’t going right, frustration is a treacherous path to walk sometimes.

i have even shut down jobs early in the day for that reason. At some point you start spinning wheels and then worse things happen. Amazing what good night sleep and fresh head can do for moral and productivity.

Cleaned it up again, just a little deep i think ?

My dad works construction, electrical tape is used for everything. Ive used it for bandages before too lol and as a support tape for plantars fasciatus in a pinch too.

I dont know if I'm going to flip the frames or not, at least not right now. I think the fish have had enough, so if the new brace holds, ill leave it at that for a little bit perhaps.

Attachments

• 20201211_224444.jpg
    20201211_224444.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 62
Ahh man, I'm sorry :( what a rough day. Was that kind of day over here too (hubby work stuff which then of course affected me because, two people working from home simultaneously gets old real fast). I hope for everyone's sake that tomorrow is better!!

Ahh man, I'm sorry :( what a rough day. Was that kind of day over here too (hubby work stuff which then of course affected me because, two people working from home simultaneously gets old real fast). I hope for everyone's sake that tomorrow is better!!
I’ll drink to that ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back