Blackwater 55g Build

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Get a group of 10-20 Iriatherina werneri.
Theyre gorgeous fish and one of the very few rainbows I can keep (soft water, GH 89.5ppm) but im trying to stick to south American:D

Stock is currently:
12 black neon tetras
4 skirt tetras (we are retiring them)
3 Farlowella twig catfish (vittata, platorynchus, and mariaelenae)
17 corydoras
1 L240 vampire pleco (grow out, he will be moved eventually)

Tank will upgrade to a canister for some decent flow rate later on, so rules out any slow water fish as well

Lol you already have a centerpiece, the glofish :D

Very peaceful looking tank, I love it
Lol she stands out doesn't she haha

She's one of the 4 skirt tetras, once they're all gone thats it. Theyre retiring. Our local stock is terrible and I'm constantly having to replace them just to keep 6! So enough is enough lol. Just lost one of them yesterday, her tumors burst and she couldn't swim properly after so I had to euthanize her. I think though after They're totally gone ill be just adding more black neons.

That's so surprising, I have heard that black skirts are incredibly hardy, so it's unfortunate that your fish are not doing well. We decided that the black skirts would be the first fish we got because they are so reportedly hardly, so hopefully that plays out

That's so surprising, I have heard that black skirts are incredibly hardy, so it's unfortunate that your fish are not doing well. We decided that the black skirts would be the first fish we got because they are so reportedly hardly, so hopefully that plays out
I think it may be my local stock, theyre normally pretty sad looking in stores here and mine is not the only one I've seen with tumors either.

Many others are good with them though, so you may have no issues, and I'd recommend them as a nice large tetra for those looking for that still. If I could order mine online from a different source I would, as my local stores don't seem to get any in that are hardy here.

Ive been sitting on whether i wanted to post any updates. I'm still not sure, so maybe won't post often for updates anyways.

20201217_184630.jpg

Ive been sitting on whether i wanted to post any updates. I'm still not sure, so maybe won't post often for updates anyways.

View attachment 124962
Why not post if you have something to comment on or got a question? Like all hobby forums there will always be those with: bigger, badder, more gorgeous stuff....As I tell my photography group just enjoy what's presented and only deep dive if you have a particular question. Just enjoy, after all not everyone is on the same path on their hobby journey. I like to see your updates on the 55 and have learned that we have same 40 Bow and 55 tanks. Seeing people's updates/progress also gives me lots of ideas, like your use of driftwood. Speaking of drift wood how do hang upside down? take care and stay safe.

Why not post if you have something to comment on or got a question? Like all hobby forums there will always be those with: bigger, badder, more gorgeous stuff....As I tell my photography group just enjoy what's presented and only deep dive if you have a particular question. Just enjoy, after all not everyone is on the same path on their hobby journey. I like to see your updates on the 55 and have learned that we have same 40 Bow and 55 tanks. Seeing people's updates/progress also gives me lots of ideas, like your use of driftwood. Speaking of drift wood how do hang upside down? take care and stay safe.
The driftwood hanging is actually basswood tree branches! I've got them hooked onto the airline hose and such to keep them up

A certain someone has been constantly nitpicking and criticizing condescendingly about my routines and such, and frankly I've been really put off about sharing personal photos now.

Last edited:
The driftwood hanging is actually basswood tree branches! I've got them hooked onto the airline hose and such to keep them up

A certain someone has been constantly nitpicking and criticizing condescendingly about my routines and such, and frankly I've been really put off about sharing personal photos now.
Thanks for the hanging driftwood ...and that's the thing about forums we are all talking at the same time...so one needs to have a thick skin...it's not like have a 1 on 1 conversation were we can interpret nuances...still I like to post and just not read too much in responses..take care...

I ran out of rooibos tea this week and you know the state of getting things delivered recently... lol so not very much tannins this week.
Unfortunately I think the branches were irritating the fish, I noticed them starting to flash off objects, so I opted to remove the branches as a precaution.
Added a few more sterbai corydoras too to bring up my sterbais to 5.
20201221_201422.jpg

Last edited:
Your tank looks amazing, as ever. I love your updates and photos. Puts my tanks to shame.

As far as the other stuff goes, remember, 'user ignore' is your friend. I've been on forums for a long time and just tune out the mishegoss, but if someone is really getting under your skin, there's that magic button.

Shame on whoever is doing this to you! :(

Keep up the good work and photos. Tank looks amazing, and the GloFish really add a pop to that Blackwater!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back