Betta is in trouble UPDATE

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Surviving isnā€™t thriving though, and I canā€™t imagine this is easy for you to hear but if several people have suggested euthanasia, keeping him alive is torment for him :( He doesnā€™t look great and youā€™ve tried everything.

Surviving isnā€™t thriving though, and I canā€™t imagine this is easy for you to hear but if several people have suggested euthanasia, keeping him alive is torment for him :( He doesnā€™t look great and youā€™ve tried everything.
Torment?
Lymphocystis affects the appearance, fish can have it for months with no effect on their ability to eat, swim and breath. See post #7 and allow the OP to decide if and when the time is right to euthanise their own fish.

OP - a weekly bacteria treatment can prevent secondary infections.

Fish disease is complicated unless you can bring it to a vet to diagnose it.

I think it's either a lump caused by bacteria or virus.

First, do a large water change (70% or more) and rinse your filter.
Cleaner water will reduce infections.

If it's caused by bacteria, probably you can do a swab or apply some anti-septic on its body with a cotton bud.
Or you can try Furan-2.
Or you can do a dip with higher dosage medications.

Check here for more info about anti-biotics:

For virus, probably there is no cure.
You can feed it with high quality food and hope for the fish to build its own immune system in fighting against it..

Torment?
Lymphocystis affects the appearance, fish can have it for months with no effect on their ability to eat, swim and breath. See post #7 and allow the OP to decide if and when the time is right to euthanise their own fish.

OP - a weekly bacteria treatment can prevent secondary infections.

Happily corrected :D

I would still euthinize... that fish is suffering... :(

This is a betta I had some years ago

1.JPG

2.JPG

At the time I thought it was lymphocystis as it fit the descriptions on-line apart from being grey rather than white. But I've been told since that it was tumours. I had to euthanise this betta shortly after this photo was taken. You can see in the photo that the biggest lump was affecting his gill and he started just lying on the bottom of the tank - that's when I decided the time had come.

The decision is yours and yours alone. But it is a difficult decision to make.

Lymphocystis? It's viral, spread by injuries. If this is what he has I'm sorry, there is no treatment. Just keep him comfortable.
I was also thinking lymphocytis since OP said it was cauliflower looking. Fish can live quite some time with this. Often, the bumps will burst. If so, clean it with methylene blue and let it heal. You can also get a Q-tip and dab the areas now with methylene blue. I had one live for well over a year with the disease. He was happy as a bug in a rug until the very end. After I dabbed the areas with MB, one did fall off but eventually grew back.

Last edited:
I concur... even if you may want to keep the betta alive, it is torture for it.

If it starts to go down to the bottom, or tilt sideways, that is the time for euthanasia. Sorry again... :(

I concur... even if you may want to keep the betta alive, it is torture for it.

If it starts to go down to the bottom, or tilt sideways, that is the time for euthanasia. Sorry again... :(
@PheonixKingZ I mean no disrespect but how do you know he is in ā€œtortureā€. OP says he is still eating and active. That doesnā€™t sound like he is suffering to me. I firmly believe in euthanasia when a fish is suffering but not just because it may no longer be pretty. You have recommended euthanasia several times when I have disagreed and suggested treatments instead. Some of those fish survived. This fish may indeed end up needing it but not just yet. Did you read my post? Mine lived happily for another year. Letā€™s give him a chance. When he declines and stops eating and being active, it will be time to let him go. He is alone and not going to infect another fish. My fish looked ugly with big lumps on him. Looks arenā€™t everything. Itā€™s not just you either, PK. This is to all of you recommending euthanasia. If he has quality of life and the OP wants to try, then give him a chance. Fish arenā€™t just flushable objects. I apologize if I offended anyone. Just speaking my own beliefs.

You have made some good points, but we are not 100% sure what this is. (We each have out best guesses, but no one knows for sure)

And I did sort of take back what I said earlier, saying:
If it starts to go down to the bottom, or tilt sideways, that is the time for euthanasia.

My betta, the one in the photos, lived with this for months. He was active and had a healthy appetite. But eventually he wouldn't eat and just lay on his side on the bottom of the tank. I knew at that point that his time had come.
Yes, that is when itā€™s time to say goodbye. :)

@PheonixKingZ I mean no disrespect but how do you know he is in ā€œtortureā€. OP says he is still eating and active. That doesnā€™t sound like he is suffering to me. I firmly believe in euthanasia when a fish is suffering but not just because it may no longer be pretty. You have recommended euthanasia several times when I have disagreed and suggested treatments instead. Some of those fish survived. This fish may indeed end up needing it but not just yet. Did you read my post? Mine lived happily for another year. Letā€™s give him a chance. When he declines and stops eating and being active, it will be time to let him go. He is alone and not going to infect another fish. My fish looked ugly with big lumps on him. Looks arenā€™t everything. Itā€™s not just you either, PK. This is to all of you recommending euthanasia. If he has quality of life and the OP wants to try, then give him a chance. Fish arenā€™t just flushable objects. I apologize if I offended anyone. Just speaking my own beliefs.
Extremely well put! Especially the parts reference disfigurements not justifying euthanasia and the feelings of the owner being listened to.
I wholeheartedly agree with all but one point. If an experienced and well read member has investigated the situation fully, (preferably viewing video of the fish to better judge it's condition) suggests euthanasia by prefixing with "I would.." or "You may want to think about.." and follow up with valid reasons to justify their stance, I respect that. The OP can accept or reject that opinion.
What I get annoyed with is when members either suggest euthanasia from reading two lines of text, or give hypercritical judgements which imply the owner is being cruel by not euthanizing. It is an extremely difficult choice and we should be supported, not judged.

Extremely well put! Especially the parts reference disfigurements not justifying euthanasia and the feelings of the owner being listened to.
I wholeheartedly agree with all but one point. If an experienced and well read member has investigated the situation fully, (preferably viewing video of the fish to better judge it's condition) suggests euthanasia by prefixing with "I would.." or "You may want to think about.." and follow up with valid reasons to justify their stance, I respect that. The OP can accept or reject that opinion.
What I get annoyed with is when members either suggest euthanasia from reading two lines of text, or give hypercritical judgements which imply the owner is being cruel by not euthanizing. It is an extremely difficult choice and we should be supported, not judged.
I 100% agree with you. When someone flat out says the fish needs to be euthanized simply by looking at a pic it is wrong. You need to get all the info and wait to see if another member may have been through the same thing and know what to do. A video is great! Sadly, I have seen several posts where members recommend euthanasia for a treatable condition. This is heart breaking. I believe my fish tell me we they want help crossing over. I can see it in their eyes. There are times, such as dropsy, where it is obvious what needs to be done.

Last edited:
The fish is still lively and eating. My last dog had lymphoma (probably what these would look like if they hadn't been covered in fur, As long as she wasn't in more pain than the painkillers could handle, and as long as she was "herself" we didn't euthanize. Then one day she just crashed, you could tell pain was out of control, she could no longer walk, or eat and was not very responsive - we took her to the vet and had her euthanized. Broke my heart forever. But we let her decide when it was time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back