Betta is in trouble UPDATE

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I have a betta right now that is looking horrible. He had a small lump above His tail. Sadly, he got sucked up in the Python and I had to run and turn the water off to get him out. After that, the bump got bigger. He swims funny now, kind of sideways. Iā€™ve been treating him but donā€™t know if a tumor is just growing more or he broke something. Right now, he is still eating and swimming some but I know heā€™s getting close to time. I looked at him today and he swam to me. I didnā€™t see it in his eyes yet. Heā€™ll tell me when itā€™s time. Until then, Iā€™m keeping him in clean, warm water and placed his hammock where he can look out. Maybe tomorrow? Weā€™ll see what he tells me. :(

The fish is still lively and eating. My last dog had lymphoma (probably what these would look like if they hadn't been covered in fur, As long as she wasn't in more pain than the painkillers could handle, and as long as she was "herself" we didn't euthanize. Then one day she just crashed, you could tell pain was out of control, she could no longer walk, or eat and was not very responsive - we took her to the vet and had her euthanized. Broke my heart forever. But we let her decide when it was time.
Good for you for allowing her be part of the decision. You gave her a special gift. Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. Time goes by but we never stop loving them.

I was also thinking lymphocytis since OP said it was cauliflower looking. Fish can live quite some time with this. Often, the bumps will burst. If so, clean it with methylene blue and let it heal. You can also get a Q-tip and dab the areas now with methylene blue. I had one live for well over a year with the disease. He was happy as a bug in a rug until the very end. After I dabbed the areas with MB, one did fall off but eventually grew back.

Yes, Methylene Blue and Potassium Permanganate are good anti-septic, anti-fungal, anti-parasites that can be used to swab on the wound.
You can even dip the fish in Methylene Blue or Potassium Permanganate without harming the fish.
Potassium Permanganate is more powerful than Methylene Blue as disinfectant.

For Discus keepers/breeders, they will dip the fish in Potassium Permanganate for up to a maximum of 4 hrs.
Add the Potassium Permanganate until the water turned pinkish but you have to stop your filters temporarily if you dip the fish inside your tank.
You have to change the water to clear all Potassium Permanganate after the dip.
For Discus keepers, they usually do the dip in the main tank(bare tank) to kill off any bacteria and parasites inside the tank.
But the filters must be turned off as the Potassium Permanganate will kill most bacteria.

Here is a video

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back