The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Colin doesn't really seem to be around much at the moment. Follow his instructions for a further week, I don't know if he's said to be performing water changes or what not or just leaving him in "hospital", but keep up what you're doing and report back. Hopefully Colin may have found abit of time to check in within that time and give you further instructions. Sorry that it only seems to be Colin that can advise you through this, I know it must be really stressful. Although your fish hasn't improved, would you say he's got any worse? Is he still active and looking happy?

No no I totally understand! Obviously everyone is busy and have a lot going on in their lives at this time so I wouldn't want to impose at all. Thank you so much though :) I wouldn't say he has gotten worse, just the same. He can't really do a whole lot in that tiny thing haha. But everything seems normal, eating fine, etc. He is a strong dude

No no I totally understand! Obviously everyone is busy and have a lot going on in their lives at this time so I wouldn't want to impose at all. Thank you so much though :) I wouldn't say he has gotten worse, just the same. He can't really do a whole lot in that tiny thing haha. But everything seems normal, eating fine, etc. He is a strong dude
Colin hasnt been on for two days, so hopefully he'll be on to help you soon :)

Am I right in thinking that the MB is to kill the fungus that's infecting him? It may well have done that and that now it's a case of him slowly growing his fins back. My lack of experience with MB means i can't tell you to take him out because I could be wrong, but I am sure that there probably has been some progress, especially if he hasn't deteriorated

Am I right in thinking that the MB is to kill the fungus that's infecting him? It may well have done that and that now it's a case of him slowly growing his fins back. My lack of experience with MB means i can't tell you to take him out because I could be wrong, but I am sure that there probably has been some progress, especially if he hasn't deteriorated

Exactly, that is my confusion as well. Because I see in some places that I should be seeing regrowth and improvement in the fins while in the MB and some saying that'll come after. Who knows! I do know that MB will kill the fungal infection and the fuzzy stuff went away the day before I put him in the MB. His fin rot is very very slow so it is hard so it has been looking like this the past 2 months, no changes.

I work in the ER which is already crazy and stressful during this pandemic, who knew a little betta's fin rot would be this stressful and have me stumped? ????

Exactly, that is my confusion as well. Because I see in some places that I should be seeing regrowth and improvement in the fins while in the MB and some saying that'll come after. Who knows! I do know that MB will kill the fungal infection and the fuzzy stuff went away the day before I put him in the MB. His fin rot is very very slow so it is hard so it has been looking like this the past 2 months, no changes.

I work in the ER which is already crazy and stressful during this pandemic, who knew a little betta's fin rot would be this stressful and have me stumped? ????
Thank you for the work you're doing during this crazy time.
I've been following the thread and wishing I could help, but I don't have the knowledge or experience with in rot, sadly. I hope you find some answers soon though, it's clear how much you care and will do for the little guy.

I am considering taking him out of the MB tomorrow, do we think that would be appropriate to do now?

Hello everyone! I just cleaned Itachi's original tank thoroughly and gave his decor a little rinse. I added an almond leaf and some aquarium salt into his tank to hopefully help his healing and maybe start promoting regrowth. Not sure if his fin rot is entirely gone yet but I will monitor him once I put him back in tomorrow. I will probably start diluting the MB tomorrow to rinse it off him and then acclimate him into his tank.

I guess at this point with the lack of knowledge or expertise I have on this topic this is my best guess as to what could be the right step. If any one else has ideas or knowledge please feel free to provide your input. I will still continue to update you all!

P.S here are current pictures of him two weeks into his MB baths

Attachments

• MB week 2.jpg
    MB week 2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 145
  • Week 2 MB.jpg
    Week 2 MB.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Hello everyone! I just cleaned Itachi's original tank thoroughly and gave his decor a little rinse. I added an almond leaf and some aquarium salt into his tank to hopefully help his healing and maybe start promoting regrowth. Not sure if his fin rot is entirely gone yet but I will monitor him once I put him back in tomorrow. I will probably start diluting the MB tomorrow to rinse it off him and then acclimate him into his tank.

I guess at this point with the lack of knowledge or expertise I have on this topic this is my best guess as to what could be the right step. If any one else has ideas or knowledge please feel free to provide your input. I will still continue to update you all!
I've watched this thread and really wished I could help you! It's so clear how much you care about your fish, and I know how frustrating it is when there's something wrong, and you're not sure how to treat it. I'd stop the MB too, he's been in it for a while, surely it would have done what it's meant to do by now.

Can you get eSHa-2000 where you are? I'm treating my tanks now for what I suspect is worms, and eSHa products are highly recommended in the UK at least, since we can't get a lot of the same meds that people in the states can. One product I'm using right now alongside eSHa gdex (treats tapeworms, skin and gill flukes) is the eSHa 2000 since it can be used at the same time as the gdex, and it works against bacterial infections. So I'm using it alongside the gdex to try to minimise secondary bacteria infections that can be caused by the damage worms leave to the digestive tract. Looking at box of eSHa 2000 now, and it says it works against fungus, finrot and bacteria. It's a veterinary medicine.

If you can get it, I think it would be worth a shot, and you can treat him in his main tank and reduce stress, as long as you don't have snails you want to keep in there. If there's some low grade bacterial or fungal infection in his fins, it could help perhaps. I hope you do find something that helps! Cyber hugs if wanted, I know how rough it is to find diagnoses and treatment when it comes to fish.

I've watched this thread and really wished I could help you! It's so clear how much you care about your fish, and I know how frustrating it is when there's something wrong, and you're not sure how to treat it. I'd stop the MB too, he's been in it for a while, surely it would have done what it's meant to do by now.

Can you get eSHa-2000 where you are? I'm treating my tanks now for what I suspect is worms, and eSHa products are highly recommended in the UK at least, since we can't get a lot of the same meds that people in the states can. One product I'm using right now alongside eSHa gdex (treats tapeworms, skin and gill flukes) is the eSHa 2000 since it can be used at the same time as the gdex, and it works against bacterial infections. So I'm using it alongside the gdex to try to minimise secondary bacteria infections that can be caused by the damage worms leave to the digestive tract. Looking at box of eSHa 2000 now, and it says it works against fungus, finrot and bacteria. It's a veterinary medicine.

If you can get it, I think it would be worth a shot, and you can treat him in his main tank and reduce stress, as long as you don't have snails you want to keep in there. If there's some low grade bacterial or fungal infection in his fins, it could help perhaps. I hope you do find something that helps! Cyber hugs if wanted, I know how rough it is to find diagnoses and treatment when it comes to fish.

Thank you! I will always appreciate the extra support :) I do not believe I have heard of that product before, but I do have kanaplex/kanamyacin on hand which is supposed to be good for fin rot and bacterial type stuff. I don't think I will be using that at this time, but if I see anything go downhill after I move him then I think that might be something I could consider. It was more of an emergency back-up plan. I guess we'll see how he does first!

Thank you! I will always appreciate the extra support :) I do not believe I have heard of that product before, but I do have kanaplex/kanamyacin on hand which is supposed to be good for fin rot and bacterial type stuff. I don't think I will be using that at this time, but if I see anything go downhill after I move him then I think that might be something I could consider. It was more of an emergency back-up plan. I guess we'll see how he does first!
Crossing fingers for him, and would like to hear updates if possible please! Would be nice to see him swimming happily, all beautiful fins and grouchy face, like most betta! lol

How often do you guys suggest I should change the water for his tank? I'm thinking definitely upping it for his healing but idk how much/how often since he has been having daily water changes in his bath.

I have some fancy guppies with the same problem, their tail has become really damaged recently. I've had a family of fancy guppies for ~4 years, so these have been with me since they were born. I had one guppy that when I got it had moderate fin rot, but I'd thought it was normal, just something fish could have :X
Now I have 3 guppies and all of them have tail damage.
And then there's one with what I assume is a broken top fin. It's trying to swim around but it's not moving too much... and not eating as well. It also has a fungal/bacteria infection in its gill and I don't think it'll make it :(

Anyways, probably change maybe 30% of the water daily???
Not sure, you should probably ask someone more experienced

I have some fancy guppies with the same problem, their tail has become really damaged recently. I've had a family of fancy guppies for ~4 years, so these have been with me since they were born. I had one guppy that when I got it had moderate fin rot, but I'd thought it was normal, just something fish could have :X
Now I have 3 guppies and all of them have tail damage.
And then there's one with what I assume is a broken top fin. It's trying to swim around but it's not moving too much... and not eating as well. It also has a fungal/bacteria infection in its gill and I don't think it'll make it :(

Anyways, probably change maybe 30% of the water daily???
Not sure, you should probably ask someone more experienced
Please please make a thread, I'm sure someone can help you! If you go to the fish emergencies section and look at the pinned post, there's a list of questions for you to copy/paste to give the info people need in order to help.

Please please make a thread, I'm sure someone can help you! If you go to the fish emergencies section and look at the pinned post, there's a list of questions for you to copy/paste to give the info people need in order to help.
I have though,
87 views and no one's responded :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back