The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The black tips are part of his natural color! His fins used to be double the size and a rich black on the edges! But yes, so far no regrowth or sign of infection decreasing. I am debating whether or not to continue for a little longer or just try the medicine I have on hand
Are the pictures you posted earlier on the most recent ones of him? Do you have pictures of him before the infection?

I'm baffled that you've been dosing him with salt for two weeks and are not seeing positive results yet.

Have you been doing daily 75% water changes with vacuuming included? Cleaning his filter in the bucket of tank water and wiping the inside of the glass in the tank? Also, replacing the salt you've taken out with fresh salt?

I had a fin rot problem on one of my bettas recently, for a week and a half I added 2 TBSP on salt (he's in a 5G) and did daily water changes, removing 75% of the water and gravel vacuuming. Cleaning the filter and glass in the process. I temperature matched the fresh water and added the replacement measurement of salt to the bucket, after mixing it up in a cup of water with a spoon. I cut his feeding down to 3 pellets a day and kept his tank at 80F. He had no signs of active rot on his fins by this point (@JuiceBox52 clarified it for me) and I noticed tiny, transparent growth at the end of his fins. Now I'm doing 20% water changes and gravel vacuuming to remove the salt from his aquarium. Still wiping down the inside of the glass and rinsing his filter and normalised his eating routine, varying foods etc. He's doing really well. Fins are showing healthy growth and i don't feel so guilty when looking at him.

I'd stick to salt personally, unless someone more experienced with this issue says otherwise and advises you to use an antibiotic. Just persist with those water changes, correct cleaning routine and salt measurements.

Could really do with the more experienced members on this forum to give their opinion for you going forward.

Hang on in there!

The picture (Itachi1) looks like the fish has a small amount of fungus on the fins. If it is fungus, it won't respond to anti-biotics like Kanaplex (kanamycin).

Salt should treat Saprolegnia fungus (white fluffy fungus).

Stop doing daily water changes and just do a 75% water change once a week.
Add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water. If the fungus doesn't improve after 48 hours, then you might need to try a chemical based fungal treatment. Methylene Blue should do the job but will wipe out beneficial filter bacteria and stain everything blue.

The picture (Itachi1) looks like the fish has a small amount of fungus on the fins. If it is fungus, it won't respond to anti-biotics like Kanaplex (kanamycin).

Salt should treat Saprolegnia fungus (white fluffy fungus).

Stop doing daily water changes and just do a 75% water change once a week.
Add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water. If the fungus doesn't improve after 48 hours, then you might need to try a chemical based fungal treatment. Methylene Blue should do the job but will wipe out beneficial filter bacteria and stain everything blue.

Do you have any recommendations for methylene blue? I have heard of ParaGaurd but not sure what that is. I will do what you said first and stop doing the daily water changes and do once a week instead. But what do you mean by the 48 hours? Since I already have 2 heaped tablespoons of salt as you suggested previously in the tank right now, and that has not been working yet. Do you mean just monitor for the next two days and then look for methylene blue? Also would it be okay to move him to a smaller tank since I don't want to stain his current brand new tank during treatment? I have a 1/5 gallon that I used when I needed to move him a long time ago.

Are the pictures you posted earlier on the most recent ones of him? Do you have pictures of him before the infection?

I'm baffled that you've been dosing him with salt for two weeks and are not seeing positive results yet.

Have you been doing daily 75% water changes with vacuuming included? Cleaning his filter in the bucket of tank water and wiping the inside of the glass in the tank? Also, replacing the salt you've taken out with fresh salt?

I had a fin rot problem on one of my bettas recently, for a week and a half I added 2 TBSP on salt (he's in a 5G) and did daily water changes, removing 75% of the water and gravel vacuuming. Cleaning the filter and glass in the process. I temperature matched the fresh water and added the replacement measurement of salt to the bucket, after mixing it up in a cup of water with a spoon. I cut his feeding down to 3 pellets a day and kept his tank at 80F. He had no signs of active rot on his fins by this point (@JuiceBox52 clarified it for me) and I noticed tiny, transparent growth at the end of his fins. Now I'm doing 20% water changes and gravel vacuuming to remove the salt from his aquarium. Still wiping down the inside of the glass and rinsing his filter and normalised his eating routine, varying foods etc. He's doing really well. Fins are showing healthy growth and i don't feel so guilty when looking at him.

I'd stick to salt personally, unless someone more experienced with this issue says otherwise and advises you to use an antibiotic. Just persist with those water changes, correct cleaning routine and salt measurements.

Could really do with the more experienced members on this forum to give their opinion for you going forward.

Hang on in there!

Hang on in there!

Aww I am so glad your fishy got better! Unfortunately for me I have been doing exactly as you did, same gallon tank, same temperature, same salt, redosed after 75% water changes, wiping the sides and gravel vacuuming but this seems very persistent :( I feel horrible sitting at my desk everyday and seeing his fins look like that.

The pics you saw recently are the most recent ones of him :( I attached a picture of him when I first first got him before all this happened. Unfortunately his infection started almost immediately after I got him (Early October 2019)

Attachments

• Itachi's first day.JPG
    Itachi's first day.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 83
Aww I am so glad your fishy got better! Unfortunately for me I have been doing exactly as you did, same gallon tank, same temperature, same salt, redosed after 75% water changes, wiping the sides and gravel vacuuming but this seems very persistent :( I feel horrible sitting at my desk everyday and seeing his fins look like that.

The pics you saw recently are the most recent ones of him :( I attached a picture of him when I first first got him before all this happened. Unfortunately his infection started almost immediately after I got him (Early October 2019)
Looks as if he was already infected. The tips of his fins look like they are rotting which is why you'd think they're supposed to be that colour as it's all you've ever known

Looks as if he was already infected. The tips of his fins look like they are rotting which is why you'd think they're supposed to be that colour as it's all you've ever known

Omg! That makes me even more sad!! :( Poor baby I definitely want to help him get better if that is really the case. His energy or eating as never changed but I do want to make him super healthy again. If anyone knows any methylene blue treatments out there or methods that have worked please let me know!

I ordered a methylene blue bottle from amazon, the brand was called Kordon I believe. When it does arrive shall I do methylene blue dips or some other method?

You don't give fish dips/ baths because every time you catch them, you can damage them and create more entry points into their body for bacteria and fungus to infect them.

------------
If you have an established tank with a healthy biological filter, move the fish into a clean plastic container with an airstone, and leave it in there for a week with Methylene Blue.

Wipe the inside of the container down and change the water each day before re-treating the fish with Methylene Blue.

To change the water, carefully pour out most of the water, then refill the container and pour it out again. Have a little bit of water in the bottom with the fish so it isn't out of water. Then fill it back up and treat it.

Do this once a day for a week. Then drain most of the water out and refill the container. Drain most of it out again and then pour the fish back into its normal tank.

Use a container that you don't mind if it turns blue because Methylene Blue stains everything blue.

Methylene Blue is quite safe so don't worry if you get a bit on your skin, just wash it off with soapy water after working on the tank.

You don't give fish dips/ baths because every time you catch them, you can damage them and create more entry points into their body for bacteria and fungus to infect them.

------------
If you have an established tank with a healthy biological filter, move the fish into a clean plastic container with an airstone, and leave it in there for a week with Methylene Blue.

Wipe the inside of the container down and change the water each day before re-treating the fish with Methylene Blue.

To change the water, carefully pour out most of the water, then refill the container and pour it out again. Have a little bit of water in the bottom with the fish so it isn't out of water. Then fill it back up and treat it.

Do this once a day for a week. Then drain most of the water out and refill the container. Drain most of it out again and then pour the fish back into its normal tank.

Use a container that you don't mind if it turns blue because Methylene Blue stains everything blue.

Methylene Blue is quite safe so don't worry if you get a bit on your skin, just wash it off with soapy water after working on the tank.

Thank you sooo much @Colin_T !! You guys are the best :) Really means a lot that you took time out of your day to help me save my fish! I will start this as soon as I get the treatment in his 1/2 QT tank next week.

Do you think I will see improvement by the end of the week? I will definitely update the thread in a week! Fingers crossed :)

Thanks again so much, I super appreciate it!

Ok so Itachi started his methylene blue treatment today in his 1/2 gallon tank with an air pump in there. I moved the air pump to the middle now because in the past 2 hours of him being in this solution he has wedged himself in the corner and has gotten stuck. In the process of jumping out to be unstuck he has scratches on his face and slightly injured himself. I think he is just stressed out with the change in environment. It is hard to take a picture of those because he is in methylene blue and he is blue lol so it is hard to see. I really hope he doesn't try to jump and injure himself anymore. Other than those two times he is casually swimming and chilling in there.

Just before I put him in the solution his fuzziness seemed to have gone down, I actually did not see any. But anyways I will leave him in here for a week I suppose with daily water changes and redosing.

Attachments

• day 1 methylene blue.jpg
    day 1 methylene blue.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 83
Ok so Itachi started his methylene blue treatment today in his 1/2 gallon tank with an air pump in there. I moved the air pump to the middle now because in the past 2 hours of him being in this solution he has wedged himself in the corner and has gotten stuck. In the process of jumping out to be unstuck he has scratches on his face and slightly injured himself. I think he is just stressed out with the change in environment. It is hard to take a picture of those because he is in methylene blue and he is blue lol so it is hard to see. I really hope he doesn't try to jump and injure himself anymore. Other than those two times he is casually swimming and chilling in there.

Just before I put him in the solution his fuzziness seemed to have gone down, I actually did not see any. But anyways I will leave him in here for a week I suppose with daily water changes and redosing.
Poor little dude scratching himself up :( You just wish you could explain to them somehow that you're moving them for their own good, and that they will be okay, don't you?

I don't have any helpful advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say that I admire your dedication to your fish and how hard you're working to treat him. I haven't dealt with fin rot, but have gone through battling camallanus worms and a fungal infection, with all the worrying, salt treatment, water changes, and meds. It's a tough process, and you are doing everything you can for him. I hope you see positive results soon! Please keep us updated. Even with the fins, you can see he's a beautiful fish. Hope you stick around the forum and join in with the community, more people in the hobby who are as dedicated to their fish and willing to work hard to save them is always a good thing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back