FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Poor little dude scratching himself up :( You just wish you could explain to them somehow that you're moving them for their own good, and that they will be okay, don't you?

I don't have any helpful advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say that I admire your dedication to your fish and how hard you're working to treat him. I haven't dealt with fin rot, but have gone through battling camallanus worms and a fungal infection, with all the worrying, salt treatment, water changes, and meds. It's a tough process, and you are doing everything you can for him. I hope you see positive results soon! Please keep us updated. Even with the fins, you can see he's a beautiful fish. Hope you stick around the forum and join in with the community, more people in the hobby who are as dedicated to their fish and willing to work hard to save them is always a good thing.

Awwe! Thank you :) This means so much, and it definitely makes me feel a lot better. I am actually heading into medicine so the inner doctor in me is very deeply involved when it comes to treating and helping lives. I am very emotionally invested in that little guy. Researching and learning from experts is all part of the process. I will definitely keep you guys updated! Thank you again so much for the positive vibes <3

Awwe! Thank you :) This means so much, and it definitely makes me feel a lot better. I am actually heading into medicine so the inner doctor in me is very deeply involved when it comes to treating and helping lives. I am very emotionally invested in that little guy. Researching and learning from experts is all part of the process. I will definitely keep you guys updated! Thank you again so much for the positive vibes <3
You're so welcome! I'm still pretty new to the hobby myself, but you sound a bit like me - very invested in wanting to make it better, feeling guilty that it happened, and confused by conflicting advice from different places. It's a tough hobby to get into at first, because the learning curve is so steep, and when things go wrong, it can be hard to get them on track again.

I notice you said that others were telling you to stop the salt, so I knew you were getting conflicting advice from somewhere. In my limited experience, while I haven't seen it happen here so far, on other places like reddit, have seen beginners get torn apart for making mistakes and "not doing their research" (even if they were following advice from a pet store employee. Logically, most people would think that a fish store employee would have the best advice, but it's frequently very bad, especially from the big box stores). People try their best and follow bad advice, then lose their fish and leave the hobby.

If you go to any website where people sell second hand fishtanks, you'll see plenty of adverts for "complete starter kit aquarium, only been used for three months." Look at the photos and you'll often see a tiny tank or fishbowl, no filter or heater, and some betta or goldfish food. They didn't do their research, or were given bad advice and didn't cycle their tank properly, fish died, tank gets sold and they leave the hobby. Makes me very sad.

I would rather encourage people to stay in the hobby, especially people who are passionate and dedicated. Again, haven't seen this happen here yet, but I spent some time on reddit, and while there were a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people there, and it's a great place to see some stunning tanks - there are also people who love to tear apart a beginner or someone who has been misinformed. Almost as dangerous are the people who think they know what they're talking about, and act as if they're experts, but are just repeating something they read somewhere without checking the source, and give out misinformation and myths. I still find that overwhelming at times.

I get upset when things go wrong with my tanks, and need some encouragement, so I know how good it feels to get that reassurance. I had a sub adult guppy that had most of her tail torn off right down to the body when she got caught up in the sponge filter I was removing to clean, and she fell to the floor. I felt so bad. Had to do salt treatment, and she had fungus the next day. But she recovered, her tail grew back (just a minor scar) and she's now a large, very robust and healthy mother guppy. And I truly mean it when I say that you're doing everything you can for him, so don't beat yourself up, it looks as though you inherited this problem, and you're being proactive in fixing it. He has a very good chance of recovery.

And make sure you don't use Stress Coat as it contains aloe vera which hurts fish gills. Use rest of the bottle you have and change it to API Tap Water Conditioner.

You're so welcome! I'm still pretty new to the hobby myself, but you sound a bit like me - very invested in wanting to make it better, feeling guilty that it happened, and confused by conflicting advice from different places. It's a tough hobby to get into at first, because the learning curve is so steep, and when things go wrong, it can be hard to get them on track again.

I notice you said that others were telling you to stop the salt, so I knew you were getting conflicting advice from somewhere. In my limited experience, while I haven't seen it happen here so far, on other places like reddit, have seen beginners get torn apart for making mistakes and "not doing their research" (even if they were following advice from a pet store employee. Logically, most people would think that a fish store employee would have the best advice, but it's frequently very bad, especially from the big box stores). People try their best and follow bad advice, then lose their fish and leave the hobby.

If you go to any website where people sell second hand fishtanks, you'll see plenty of adverts for "complete starter kit aquarium, only been used for three months." Look at the photos and you'll often see a tiny tank or fishbowl, no filter or heater, and some betta or goldfish food. They didn't do their research, or were given bad advice and didn't cycle their tank properly, fish died, tank gets sold and they leave the hobby. Makes me very sad.

I would rather encourage people to stay in the hobby, especially people who are passionate and dedicated. Again, haven't seen this happen here yet, but I spent some time on reddit, and while there were a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people there, and it's a great place to see some stunning tanks - there are also people who love to tear apart a beginner or someone who has been misinformed. Almost as dangerous are the people who think they know what they're talking about, and act as if they're experts, but are just repeating something they read somewhere without checking the source, and give out misinformation and myths. I still find that overwhelming at times.

I get upset when things go wrong with my tanks, and need some encouragement, so I know how good it feels to get that reassurance. I had a sub adult guppy that had most of her tail torn off right down to the body when she got caught up in the sponge filter I was removing to clean, and she fell to the floor. I felt so bad. Had to do salt treatment, and she had fungus the next day. But she recovered, her tail grew back (just a minor scar) and she's now a large, very robust and healthy mother guppy. And I truly mean it when I say that you're doing everything you can for him, so don't beat yourself up, it looks as though you inherited this problem, and you're being proactive in fixing it. He has a very good chance of recovery.

It is so relieving to hear that! I am glad you had success! Yes it has definitely been a journey in catering to illnesses I don't have the most experience in but I do enjoy the learning processes and staying positive is key :) Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement, it definitely helps tremendously!

So the scars on his face look better now, I do not see any signs of major improvement yes, but he does not look any different from the earlier pictures so not sure. He is kind of being lazy and not as active because he probably hates being in there lol. Am I supposed to see improvement in his fins while he is in the bath, like regrowth or anything? Or would that normally only be noticed after the treatment is complete? I am not entirely sure what to be looking for yet

So the scars on his face look better now, I do not see any signs of major improvement yes, but he does not look any different from the earlier pictures so not sure. He is kind of being lazy and not as active because he probably hates being in there lol. Am I supposed to see improvement in his fins while he is in the bath, like regrowth or anything? Or would that normally only be noticed after the treatment is complete? I am not entirely sure what to be looking for yet
No baths, keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.

Hi everyone! I am updating as tomorrow marks one week of Itachi being in methylene blue. I am feeling really confused right now because everywhere I look I see that I am supposed to be seeing improvement. But idk what that entails, like improvement while he is in the treatment or does it come after? So far I still see no improvement. Here are the pictures as of today that I took mid water change as requested (@Colin_T ). He is a little more blue than what I am used to but no signs of "improvement" or anything on his fins.

What do you suggest should be the next step? prolong the treatment? Or any suggestions?

Attachments

• itachi in blue 1.jpg
    itachi in blue 1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Itachi in blue 2.jpg
    Itachi in blue 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 95
@Colin_T seems really popular around here, so sorry to bother you more Colin! It has been a week now so I am still unsure of what my next steps should be. If you or anyone else has any advice for me I would love to hear :) Sorry for constantly bothering ya'll!
Best to wait for @Colin_T, you are definitely not bothering anyone, that’s what this site is for ;)

Hey guys! I am keeping my fishy in the hospital tank with methylene blue for another week since I still do not know what I should be doing at this very moment. I do hope that something miraculous happens this week haha but so far no changes! :/

@Colin_T Pls help me lol I am such a noob
Colin doesn't really seem to be around much at the moment. Follow his instructions for a further week, I don't know if he's said to be performing water changes or what not or just leaving him in "hospital", but keep up what you're doing and report back. Hopefully Colin may have found abit of time to check in within that time and give you further instructions. Sorry that it only seems to be Colin that can advise you through this, I know it must be really stressful. Although your fish hasn't improved, would you say he's got any worse? Is he still active and looking happy?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back