FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Looks like kanaplex would be the perfect treatment to try next, sorry, just realised you said a medication. I'd try that now to be honest, you've done a lot of water changing and MB treatment, time to try a med I think. Hope it works and we get a happy update soon!

Also don't be alarmed if you see black edges on his fins as time goes on, that means healing, believe it or not. And the re-growth will be transluscent at first too, then colour up later. :)

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate the advice and expertise on the situation after so long :) do you suggest I wait a few weeks before I try the kanaplex and Furan-2? Or just as soon as I can? I looked up and found some directions on how to use the two as a combo treatment, I just need to order the Furan-2!

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate the advice and expertise on the situation after so long :) do you suggest I wait a few weeks before I try the kanaplex and Furan-2? Or just as soon as I can? I looked up and found some directions on how to use the two as a combo treatment, I just need to order the Furan-2!
I'd start straight away. You've already been treating him for more than a month, it's time to bring out the big guns. I think you'd have seen a lot of improvement by now if it were water quality alone, or able to be beaten with salt or MB. Since those haven't worked, time to try the meds.

Oh, do some water changes over the next few days while you wait for furan 2 to arrive, to remove the salt in the tank. 20% per day, then a big change before adding the meds.

Don't forget to remove any carbon from your filter before adding the meds, since the carbon would remove the medication from the water. :)

Okay! Then I’ll order right now, the directions do advise me to do regular water changes esp before the medication, and that way I can get the salt out. Should I do a big water change at the end of the treatment? Because I couldn’t find what to do after.

I'd start straight away. You've already been treating him for more than a month, it's time to bring out the big guns. I think you'd have seen a lot of improvement by now if it were water quality alone, or able to be beaten with salt or MB. Since those haven't worked, time to try the meds.
I agree. Get this poor baby back in shape. Let it rest in good clean water while you wait for meds. Please keep us posted! :)

Okay! Then I’ll order right now, the directions do advise me to do regular water changes esp before the medication, and that way I can get the salt out. Should I do a big water change at the end of the treatment? Because I couldn’t find what to do after.
Yes, do 25% water change when finished. I actually do a 50%. :)

Yes, do water changes after treatment, and you can add activated carbon to the filter to remove any remaining medication if you like. Otherwise, it'll just get gradually removed through water changes. Please do let us know how he's doing! It would be great to hear that he's recovering, you've worked so hard. :)

Hi guys! Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions! Luckily the Furan-2 arrived the next day and I started him on that and kanaplex immediately yesterday. I’m just following the directions I found online to combine the medication. I am gonna post pictures of his fins throughout the week so we can look for progress or in case my eyes miss something. (The bubbles on the tank
Here is Day 1:
1601240218340.jpeg

1601240254710.jpeg

here is day 2:
1601240302929.jpeg

1601240332090.jpeg

Hi again! Here is day 3 and day 4 updates of the kanaplex furan 2 treatment. I’m really sad because I don’t see any improvement in fact it looks like the fin rot is still possibly there, and there is a tear in The middle of his bottom big fin that wasn’t there yesterday. :/
I read in the kanaplex instructions that it is possible to do back to back rounds if the fish doesn’t show signs of stress. Would that be something to consider? Since tomorrow is the last dose of this antibiotic treatment round.
Day 3:
1601444813279.jpeg

1601444828358.jpeg

day 4:
1601444858305.jpeg

1601444900091.jpeg

other than that, no changes in behavior or appetite. Still active

Does anyone think he might benefit from a round 2? He seems to be taking medication pretty well, almost like it as no effect on him at all lol.

Does anyone think he might benefit from a round 2? He seems to be taking medication pretty well, almost like it as no effect on him at all lol.
Yes, I would extend the treatment since the instructions say it's okay to do that, he's not reacting badly, and his fin rot had become pretty entrenched too.

I'm sorry you didn't immediately see much improvement though :( Hopefully the second round will do the trick. If it helps, I had to use an antibacterial on some cories recently, one had developed some white patches, like a sheen, and the standard three days of eSHa 2000 saw a very slight improvement, but not much. It does say you can use it for a few more days for serious treatment though, so I treated for five days then went back to daily water changes and there's not a mark on her now. Sometimes it takes a little time.

Really hope he improves soon!

Yes, I would extend the treatment since the instructions say it's okay to do that, he's not reacting badly, and his fin rot had become pretty entrenched too.

I'm sorry you didn't immediately see much improvement though :( Hopefully the second round will do the trick. If it helps, I had to use an antibacterial on some cories recently, one had developed some white patches, like a sheen, and the standard three days of eSHa 2000 saw a very slight improvement, but not much. It does say you can use it for a few more days for serious treatment though, so I treated for five days then went back to daily water changes and there's not a mark on her now. Sometimes it takes a little time.

Really hope he improves soon!

youre literally my rock in this entire situation. I can’t thank you enough for continuing to respond for so long and give me so much encouragement and positivity. Cheers to you :)
I will continue the treatment I suppose. Also weird note overnight that tear On his lower fin took a photograph of completely disappeared and is now grown back and blue in that area. So that’s interesting, his wounds heal fast but not his fin rot! Thought I was tripping. But anyways If I see changes during this round I’ll let you all know
1601625435764.jpeg

youre literally my rock in this entire situation. I can’t thank you enough for continuing to respond for so long and give me so much encouragement and positivity. Cheers to you :)
I will continue the treatment I suppose. Also weird note overnight that tear On his lower fin took a photograph of completely disappeared and is now grown back and blue in that area. So that’s interesting, his wounds heal fast but not his fin rot! Thought I was tripping. But anyways If I see changes during this round I’ll let you all know
View attachment 118445
You're so welcome, I just wish I had more useful advice for you! You've been so dedicated to helping him, we want people in the hobby who care as much and work as hard as you do.

If he doesn't start to improve after a few more days of the two meds you're using now, I'd give him a couple of days break and do water changes, perhaps run some carbon to remove the last of the meds, then try a different med. I've never dealt with fin rot personally and different meds are available in the US vs the UK, but Aquarium Co op recommends the API erythromycin for fin rot, and that's a broad spectrum antibiotic. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/... broad,is an appropriate antifungal treatment.

So if this doesn't appear to help, I would try that one after giving him a short break, perhaps this is a different bacteria, or one that is more resistant to meds than most, you know?

I'm happy you keep us updated though! This has to be beaten soon, poor little dude, and you've worked so hard.

Most reactions

trending

Back