The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Just ran across this info too while I was searching something else;

"Fin Rot is often caused by several bacterial diseases such as Flavobacterium Columnare, Aeromonas, and Pseudomonas. [...]
If you catch Fin Rot early enough, you shouldnā€™t need to use antibiotics. But, if you do, youā€™ll want one thatā€™s effective against gram-negative organisms."

Source: https://modestfish.com/fish-disease-guide/

Just a note, that article suggests Melafix, but I think Melafix is one on of the medicines not recommended for bettas, since it can coat their labyrinth organ and cause more harm than good. But this might help you select another antibiotic to try if he doesn't respond to the current treatment :)

You're so welcome, I just wish I had more useful advice for you! You've been so dedicated to helping him, we want people in the hobby who care as much and work as hard as you do.

If he doesn't start to improve after a few more days of the two meds you're using now, I'd give him a couple of days break and do water changes, perhaps run some carbon to remove the last of the meds, then try a different med. I've never dealt with fin rot personally and different meds are available in the US vs the UK, but Aquarium Co op recommends the API erythromycin for fin rot, and that's a broad spectrum antibiotic. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/fin-rot#:~:text=We recommend using a broad,is an appropriate antifungal treatment.

So if this doesn't appear to help, I would try that one after giving him a short break, perhaps this is a different bacteria, or one that is more resistant to meds than most, you know?

I'm happy you keep us updated though! This has to be beaten soon, poor little dude, and you've worked so hard.

Thank you for the articles! I took a look at them and I do believe that if this treatment combo works a break and erythromycin would be beneficial, the article mentioned that they prefer the mardel brand over the API these days so I might look more into that. And of course if that fails I can look for gram negative antibiotics. Sounds like a reasonable treatment plan, but I really do hope it doesn't need all those different products to fix this issue.

I really really appreciate it! I will update later this week :)

Hi everyone! So tomorrow is the final dose of round 2. Still no improvements or any changes. Iā€™m so frustrated with this fin rot because I really canā€™t understand how itā€™s so unchanged and persistent at this point. I feel like a lot of money has been spent but with no worth so far. :( i know fritz Maracyn is a good erythromycin recommendation, but itā€™s for positive gram bacteria. Im wondering if I should also pair it with the Maracyn 2 which I heard is good for negative gram bacteria. Just so I can not have to deal with several separate attempts Of meds again. On the website for Fitz it said that it is safe to use both medications together. Obviously I would give him a break before trying this out.
Does anyone have any opinions of this combination or plan in treating betta fin rot that is severe and persistent?

Hi everyone! So tomorrow is the final dose of round 2. Still no improvements or any changes. Iā€™m so frustrated with this fin rot because I really canā€™t understand how itā€™s so unchanged and persistent at this point. I feel like a lot of money has been spent but with no worth so far. :( i know fritz Maracyn is a good erythromycin recommendation, but itā€™s for positive gram bacteria. Im wondering if I should also pair it with the Maracyn 2 which I heard is good for negative gram bacteria. Just so I can not have to deal with several separate attempts Of meds again. On the website for Fitz it said that it is safe to use both medications together. Obviously I would give him a break before trying this out.
Does anyone have any opinions of this combination or plan in treating betta fin rot that is severe and persistent?
I'm so sorry :(
@Colin_T @Deanasue @Ch4rlie @essjay please please help here! @bettabeginner has been doing everything right to treat fin rot in their first betta for months now, and it's still not improving. They've done daily water changes, MB for more than a month, this latest round of meds in a combo... they've really worked so hard, and I would love it if we could help them solve this persistent fin rot.

If desperate, try Kanaplex and Furan-2.

I do not know an awful lot about fin rot to be honest but apparently a lot of bettas do get fin rot usually simply due to either poor water quality or to stress.

Stress manifests itself in many ways, and for bettas to have larger than natural fins itā€™s is a stress in itself to carry heavy fins as well as the fact larger fins may have compromised blood supply.

Fins are a cartilage in itself and can be affected by fungi or infections, usually when there has been an injury.

Also as bettas have a natural protective slimecoat and once this slimecoat has been compromised then the betta can easily get infections hence the near endless cycle of fin rot, not that common but it does happen in certain bettas especially when stressed.

Is the betta still in a 2.5 gallon tank, sorry, Iā€™ve not read the whole thread, just the first few posts on first page of the thread until you started on salt treatments so am not wholly up to date with what you have done so far.

I do not know an awful lot about fin rot to be honest but apparently a lot of bettas do get fin rot usually simply due to either poor water quality or to stress.

Stress manifests itself in many ways, and for bettas to have larger than natural fins itā€™s is a stress in itself to carry heavy fins as well as the fact larger fins may have compromised blood supply.

Fins are a cartilage in itself and can be affected by fungi or infections, usually when there has been an injury.

Also as bettas have a natural protective slimecoat and once this slimecoat has been compromised then the betta can easily get infections hence the near endless cycle of fin rot, not that common but it does happen in certain bettas especially when stressed.

Is the betta still in a 2.5 gallon tank, sorry, Iā€™ve not read the whole thread, just the first few posts on first page of the thread until you started on salt treatments so am not wholly up to date with what you have done so far.
No, they upgraded to a five gallon tank :)

@bettabeginner I'm sorry, I know it's a big ask, but if you could summarise the conditions your betta is in (tank size, water parameters) and the different treatments you've tried for what duration, it'll help the people I've tagged catch up and try to help. Reading a long seven page thread is a big ask, so a summary here would really help.

@bettabeginner I'm sorry, I know it's a big ask, but if you could summarise the conditions your betta is in (tank size, water parameters) and the different treatments you've tried for what duration, it'll help the people I've tagged catch up and try to help. Reading a long seven page thread is a big ask, so a summary here would really help.

Hi everyone. @Ch4rlie @Deanasue. So I have had this fish for a year now, and learned from this thread that my fish has been dealing with fin rot ever since I got him and I had never really realized when I bought him. Nevertheless I still love him lots and once I started learning more and observing him more I wanted to help him get better. He has been upgraded to a 5 gallon for a few months now, with a solid heater, and carbon and sponge filter, low water movement. I changed his decor to softer smoother decor, even sanded down before putting it in the tank. I tried daily water changes, I tried salt treatments and methylene blue treatments @Colin_T previously recommended. Did each treatment for about a month. Before going to these treatments and before joining this thread I tested my water and everything was within the correct parameters, I do not remember the numbers but I had them checked a few times. I tried API fin and body cure before upgrading his tank with no success. Once I got his new tank is when I started trying alternative methods, salt, methylene blue, almond leaves.

I did try kanaplex and furan-2 as @Deanasue recommended last week. It didn't work, I am on round two and finishing it up right now. I am familiar with what fin rot is now and why he has it but I am not sure why nothing is working. I change the water frequently and he eats well, there is no change in his behavior he is a very active fish. I am now contemplating moving on to Maracyn and/or Maracyn 2, maybe combining the two. So yeah that is where I am right now, I hope that is helpful.

Indeed thatā€™s a pretty good narrative of whatā€™s been happening.

Thank you for that, itā€™s is actually most helpful.

I want to ask for a new recent photo of your betta, obviously, if possible, some close ups of his fins.

And I know lots of us have already asked for water parameters but this is quite an important factor for us to know for certain itā€™s not your water, a process for elimination if you like, as we already know youā€™ve been doing lots of water changes for a while but be good to know definitely with numbers for each element of water parameters if thatā€™s ok.

Indeed thatā€™s a pretty good narrative of whatā€™s been happening.

Thank you for that, itā€™s is actually most helpful.

I want to ask for a new recent photo of your betta, obviously, if possible, some close ups of his fins.

And I know lots of us have already asked for water parameters but this is quite an important factor for us to know for certain itā€™s not your water, a process for elimination if you like, as we already know youā€™ve been doing lots of water changes for a while but be good to know definitely with numbers for each element of water parameters if thatā€™s ok.
No problem! Iā€™m looking based on two months ago what I have in my notes.
temperature: 78
Ammonia and nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH: 7.0

Iā€™ll probably check again soon while he takes a break from meds
I have a ton of recent pictures posted on the previous page of this thread!

based on this information, would maracyn and maracyn 2 be okay to use after a break? (Also I ordered some more testing strips)

(Also I ordered some more testing strips)

Testing strips?

Is that the testing kit youā€™ve been using.

Have to mention that this type of test kit is not the best out there, nor the cheapest either.
These usually come as 5 in one tests but does not include ammonia.
Also not all that reliable as itā€™s easily contaminated and not always accurate either.
As a very basic rough guide to water parameters, ok, but when it comes to more accurate numbers especially for illnesses and fin rot, then you need a better kit imho.

My recommendation is to get a liquid based testing kit rather than the strip dip stick kind.

Would say that API Freswater Master test kit is better value and more importantly reliable and more accurate as long as instructions are followed properly.

This is a screenshot taken from Amazon website, Iā€™m in the UK but they are available in the US as well so you can easily purchase one of these online if you wish to do so.
8489FB8C-58CE-4E86-A539-08790100F6DF.jpeg

based on this information, would maracyn and maracyn 2 be okay to use after a break? (Also I ordered some more testing strips)
If Kanaplex didnā€™t work, Maracyn wonā€™t. Itā€™s a weaker antibiotic.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back