Betta and ADF issue!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RIA.1005

Reaction score
I have had a female betta in a 5.5 gal tank for a few months now. Shes was a sorority fish so I wanted to get her a new tank mate, but 2 betas in a 5.5 gal seemed mean. So I got an African drawf frog. They were doing great, both very friendly and active. However, after a week in the tank, I woke up today to realize my ADF did not make it. Water conditions are great, no aggression between them, so I'm worried he was I'll before I got him. I changed my water, cleaned the gravel and plants. So my questions are:
1. What more is there to do to ensure the tank is safe, after finding my ADF dead?
2. Should I worry about my betta being sick? She now has vertical blue stress stripes.
3. Should I try again with another ADF? My first was from pet smart. If I get another ADF I'll get it from a tropical fish store where I got my betta, at the time they had no ADFs in their inventory.

I’m certainly not a expert here but from experience with bettas they do get aggressive when they are stressed. What might’ve happened is that the frog nipped at the betta a little to hard, ripping off long pieces of fin. The betta then got stressed and attacked the frog killing it. This would explain the stress lines as well. But this is just a theory. Sorry I couldn’t be of any more help.

Last edited:
I’m certainly not a expert here but from experience with bettas they do get aggressive when they are stressed. What might’ve happened is that the frog nipped at the betta a little to hard, ripping off long pieces of fin. The betta then got stressed and attacked the frog killing it. This would explain the stress lines as well. But this is just a theory. Sorry I couldn’t be of any more help.
She got the stress stripes after I removed the frog. Maybe separation anxiety? And possibly from cleaning the tank. I'm sure if feels different in there now it's just her:(

So that's why I assumed my ADF died of disease. So I guess a better question to ask is if it's possible she could have contracted something from my ADF and how should I deal with her stress. Most of her stripes went away but she still has discoloration on her belly and close to the tail.

The stress marking on the Betta are probably from the cleaning.

The frog might have been sick before you got it.

Don't keep frogs in tanks with fish. If the fish get sick, the medications used to treat them usually kill the frogs. Frogs will also eat small fish, shrimp and snails. Some fish will pick on the frog.

-------------------
What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

Pictures of the fish?

Don't keep frogs in tanks with fish. If the fish get sick, the medications used to treat them usually kill the frogs. Frogs will also eat small fish, shrimp and snails. Some fish will pick on the frog.

-------------------

Pictures of the fish?
The filter I have came with the tank, it's an aqeuon filter. It's a little too strong for my beta so I have moss balls and plants that disperse the current a bit. I change the water weekly at roughly 30% and I've done full water changes twice. I use a dechlorinator (API) and often check the pH, Gh, Kh and nitrate/nitrite levels with the strips I have. I have cleaned the gravel twice by sifting it and running it through clean tank water before placing it back. I'm pretty good at catching food she doesnt eat with a long medicine dropper. I checked the water conditions before I removed the frog and after I cleaned the tank, all of the stats were good. I'm currently at work I'll be home in 2 hours so I'll post a pic when I get back!!!

Ohhh, and I clean the filter roughly every 3 weeks.not sure if that's excessive but I'm adamant of keeping a clean tank for her. I'm not sure what is in the filter but I know it has carbon rocks? It's the filter cartridge that goes with the filter system.

Beta fish prefer to be alone or maybe with a snail. Less stressful for him.

-------------------

Pictures of the fish?
20210221_000121.jpg

This is my female betta, she used to have a very off white/pale pink body color and now she has a blue flush. It has calmed down since I've been gone. The stripes were very prominent and vertical

Nice Beta. Does she go into that little shack? Mine sleeps in a tiki head ornament.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back