Betta and microfauna

ember04

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 14, 2020
Messages
304
Reaction score
116
Points
43
Location
UK
So, I'm in the process of setting up a 28 litre planted tank for a betta (probably a female based on the ones my local shop has), and one thing I want to do is set up a population of microfauna like copepods, daphnia and skuds (finding these hard to find in the UK).

Do you think this is possible with a predatory fish like a betta, I'm thinking of adding some leaf litter and other botanicals for hiding places

let me know if you've had experience and what works

Thanks
Ember
 
Hey, not really. All my Betta tanks were snail, shrimp and worm free after a while.
But they all like Bug Bites Flakes from Fluval. Tropical Fish Formula. That and brine shrimp nauplii is all they need.
 
Live foods are wonderful enrichment for fish, particularly Betta who need activity and stimulation. If you leave the leaves to break down you may find microfauna appear naturally. You might want to research hatching out brine shrimp eggs for a reliable sustainable food source.
 
If you want to keep microfauna with a Betta splendens, you'll need a large, heavily planted tank. They are surface predators, and aren't efficient midwater predators, but in a small tank it becomes very easy as the prey is trapped.

The degree of handicap matters too. A very long finned domestic Betta is going to have more trouble hunting. A wild Betta, or a domestic plakat will be many more times as effective at hunting.

I'm not in Europe, but I just read an article by a French hobbyist detailing how many fishless ponds are around his rural home. There has to be a collecting opportunity to get started, if you can find ponds either close to you or a short distance away. Here in Canada, when I lived in a major city I had to travel a bit for my 'fishing' trips, but friends with garden ponds can be friends indeed.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top