The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

G

Guest132675

I dirted and reworked my tank about 3 weeks ago, and I've got some heavy clouded water on my hands. It's been there for over 2 weeks now, and I'm unsure what to do. I've done a lot of water changes, but it's not helping. I also have a UV filter, but the bulb seems to be out. Ammonia and nitrite tests are perfect and the fishes seems to be doing fine. The filter has been going constantly for the last years, so I assumed the new setup would cycle quickly. How much longer can I expect the bloom to last? Should I stop dosing ferts? Advice is greatly appreciated!

This is being caused by the organics in the dirt. Soil substrate tanks can have serious issues for up to six months, which is why many recommend a dry start with no fish. The bacterial bloom is less of an issue for fish than other possible issues, such as high ammonia which may kill the fish.

Filters and water changes do not really help here, because the soil/dirt is continually releasing organics, and the bacteria that feed on these (different species from the nitrifying bacteria) can multiply very rapidly, within 20-30 minutes, so they will continue to do so as long as the organics are present from the soil until the point when these (the organics) are less, having been exhausted.

I could have a heavy bloom for six months?? Omg =( What do I do? I'm consistently getting no ammonia on the tests. Would replacing the UV bulb make a difference? Would getting more plants to consume nutrients help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have a heavy bloom for six months?? Omg =( What do I do? I'm consistently getting no ammonia on the tests. Would replacing the UV bulb make a difference?

I don't know how long the bloom may continue; as I said, it will likely do so until the organics in the soil are depleted or are significantly less than they are now. Organics occur in all aquaria with fish present, but they can be kept under control with not overcrowding, not overfeeding, cleaning filter, and water changes. Here you have soil which has introduced a massive level of organics (that is the "benefit" of soil, depending how one views benefit!).

The more serious issue is the likely rise in ammonia. This is not directly related to the bacterial bloom, though it is also due to the organics in the soil. However, ammonia can trigger a bacterial bloom too.

UV can be effective with the bacterial bloom, but not with ammonia.

I currently have no ammonia problems though. I guess the bacteria consumes it as soon as it arrives. I'll look into replacing the UV bulb. Would more plants help? Anything else I can do?

I currently have no ammonia problems though. I guess the bacteria consumes it as soon as it arrives. I'll look into replacing the UV bulb. Would more plants help? Anything else I can do?

The ammonia may take time to suddenly increase, it comes from the breakdown of the organics in the soil, as well as from other organics like fish excrement that get broken down, and of course fish respiration.

I have never messed with a soil substrate because to be honest I see no real benefit but only possible problems; but in coming to this decision I did research the subject and the consensus of opinion on plant forums seemed to be that a dry start with no fish for six months was the best and safest method.

Plants would help with ammonia as they take up ammonia/ammonium as their preferred source of nitrogen. But they will have little or no impact on a bacterial bloom as they cannot take up organics as such.

As for anything else...well, removing the soil would help. :fish:

I don't think removing the soil is an option =/ I'll keep an eye out for ammonia and do water changes if it happens. Should I stop dosing ferts? When the soil stop releasing organics, will it still be nutritious to the plants? =(

I don't think removing the soil is an option =/ I'll keep an eye out for ammonia and do water changes if it happens. Should I stop dosing ferts? When the soil stop releasing organics, will it still be nutritious to the plants? =(

To the last question, no. The only benefit to soil is the initial release of CO2 by the decomposition of the organics. There are no mineral nutrients in soil, or minimal if any, and not to the extent that plants will benefit. An inert substrate of sand or fine gravel, with plant additives (maybe, this depends upon the plant species/number, fish load, GH) works just as well aside from the initial CO2. But after one year the organic/CO2 issue is no longer present, so the soil is then no better/worse than sand or fine gravel. Even Diana Walstad admits this.

As for dosing ferts, this depends upon the factors mentioned above. Minerals in the source water (the GH), the number of fish and how much they are fed, the species of plant and how many--these factor in. Some plants are slow growing which means less nutrients are needed. Light is also crucial as this drive photosynthesis and the nutrients must be in balance with the light or the plants may not thrive and algae becomes a nuisance. The organics in the soil can feed algae obviously, unless there are sufficient fast-growing plants to grab them first.

I don't know what to do honestly. I tore down my entire tank to rebuild it with soils so I could have a lush planted tank. My water has around 3GH/KH and a PH of about 6.5. I hope I don't have to tear down the entire tank again =(

I don't know what to do honestly. I tore down my entire tank to rebuild it with soils so I could have a lush planted tank. My water has around 3GH/KH and a PH of about 6.5. I hope I don't have to tear down the entire tank again =(

You can wait it out. The bacterial bloom as I said is not dangerous so it is unsightly but not going to kill fish. Just watch the ammonia issue, that I gather can creep up very suddenly. The nature of the soil (what level of organics may be in it) we do not know.

Other members here have mentioned soil substrate planted tanks so they (if still around) may have comments. Certainly it is possible to have lush planted tanks with soil under a layer of sand, but soil is not the end-all that some might think it is.

Ok, I'll wait it out for now. Thanks for the help, Byron!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back