Bacterial Bloom ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tamfrnz

Reaction score
Hi all, 

I am having an absolute nightmare of a time with my 28ltr aquastart !! im a beginner having the tank for only 1 year. Up until last month the tank has just went totally cloudy and is very unsightly as you can imagine
sad.png
. The tank only holds 4 neon tetras, 1 male dawrf gourami and 1 otocinclus. The cloudiness is a white cloudiness which leads me to believe its a bacterial bloom however over the past 2 days this has slowly turned green ? the white cloudiness has been apparent for over 1 month.

I tested the water this afternoon and found : ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5ppm, PH 7.5

I was advised to leave the tank to clear on its only but it hasnt budged at all and at my wits end
sad.png
was so happy with how things where before i just want it back to that way. Any suggestions welcomed thanks
smile.png

Tam

:hi: to the forum.
Firstly, it probably is a bacterial bloom and a algae bloom combined. Some decent water changes should clear it up, just make sure to use temperature matched dechlorinated water.
Secondly, the neon tetra's shouldn't be in that size of a tank as they need one 60 litres +, they also need to be in schools of 6+. The Dwarf Gourami shouldn't really be in there either. The Otocinclus needs to be in a group of 3+.
If possible, you should try to rehome or upgrade these fish to a tank 60 litres +. If you can rehome/upgrade then check out this thread here on what you could then shave in your 28 litre: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/

I have had bacterial blooms. I happen to me in very established tanks After I do an extrem clean.  If I let my 100 Gal tank too a little too long for a water change then go and clean the filters and do a 90% WC I got a bloom.  One was so bad that it depleted my tank of O2 and the fish was gasping for air.  I added a power head got the surface water moving good and the fish were all better. The bloom was gone in 2 days. 

The water will be a white cloud thats a bacterial bloom. This bacteria needs O2 to grow and live. So add more water agitation and that will help get the bloom under control.  DO NOT DO A WATER CHANGE till the bloom has been gone for a few days.  If you do a WC to a tank with a bloom you will never get rid of it.  It is best to just let it work its self out just make sure your tank has enough O2. 

Now for the algae Feed less.  Keep like light on LESS I would keep the lights off till the bacterial bloom is gone.  Take care of one thing at a time. 

how deep in the tank?
what kind of light is on it?
Is it near a window?
Do you have live plants?
Do you feed your plants? 

Accu-clear.
£8 from Pets at home.
Used it on mine the other day and works fantastic.

Most reactions

trending

Back