Are My Mollies And Platys Pregnant?

pokegirl1332

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
i'm not a beginner but i'm definitely not advanced yet, but i'm really excited cuz i'm pretty sure these 2 fish are both pregnant =D, i have 2 pics of my molly (sold to me as a golden panda lyre tail molly, can anyone tell me if that's right based on the pictures cuz she's ALOT more black than my other 2 but she's a real beauty), and my mickey mouse platy has recently gotten VERY fat! can anyone please help me and confirm that they are pregnant and i need help with what to do!!! this is my first time having fish be pregnant and i really have no clue what to do other than what i've read of the internet and i want as many of them to survive as possible (i've made a separate 5 gallon tank for them with lots of plants) and there's a million things i need to know like, should i use a breeding net? how do i care for the babies? how to feed them/how much? are they really pregnant? how much longer? how to tell how much longer? how to tell when it's time? when should i separate my fish? any advice? i read that small fry can suffocate in in large gravel, should i get sand? and questions i didn't ask that might be important for me to know? PLEASE!!! I NEED YOU FISHY BIRTH EXPERTISE AND KNOWLEDGE!!!

Attachments

• molly.jpg
    molly.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 126
  • platy.jpg
    platy.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 126
  • platy2.jpg
    platy2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 133
  • platy3.jpg
    platy3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 130

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Why do you want all of them to survive? If you do your chances of being overrun are massive.
Try not to use a breeding net, they stress the fish. I would put the female into the 5 gallon and take her out when she is done, or just leave her in the original tank.
I fed my livebearer fry flake, like a normal grown fish.
They look to be pregs, not sure how much longer.
I like sand for the fry.
But....
My advice is to just leave the females be. Survival of the fittest.

Mamashack

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
They look pregnant to me and not wanting to put a dampener on this first experience, but what are you going to do the next time and the time after that when they drop fry every 4-5 weeks?
When they "square off" they're not far from dropping the fry and they can carry sperm packets for up to 6 months so they don't even need a male to keep on having babies for that long - if there's a male present they'll keep on producing fry until they drop from exhaustion.
Unless you want to buy a new tank every month the best thing to do is leave the females in the tank and provide plenty places for a few fry to survive from each drop so that your tanks don't get overcrowded with fry. 
How big a tank have you got them in at the moment?

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i dont think the black one is, the yellow one looks like it still has a while to go.

you should have the babies in a small tank with sand and a few plants

a air driven filter is better as it cant really harm the babies.

you should also use a net that the babies can fall through but not the mother.

you can feed them fry food or finely crushed flakes 2-3 times a day in small portions they will also appreciate live food

OP
P

pokegirl1332

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
yeah i read all about them being able to have many many babies but out of the ones that survive i want to keep a few cuz i have 3 tanks x1 20 gallon which is where the molly is and x2 10 gallons where my platy is and i have quite a bit of room and my mom has a 10 gallon as well plus i just really want to see as many as possible grow big and strong =) and i also know alot of people with large community tanks that might want a few mollies or platys =) thanks for the advice though =)

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Well the mollies and platy both need larger tanks. An adult female molly can produce anywhere from 6-60 fry in a single drop. You'll really want to be careful about the number of fry you keep. 

OP
P

pokegirl1332

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
thanks and yeah i really only want to keep 2 fry for myself and the rest will go to other good homes =) not some kids 2 gallon bowl =P