Zola's Fish In Cycle Log

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Got some mature media which filled my filter entirely for the new tank, many thanks to Micko for that :)

I added the fish tonight and they took to it straight away after a few minutes. I think they knew the surroundings etc. I know I need loads of more hiding spots, plants etc.

I got a new blue backdrop, I think theres water inbetween the glass and the sheet?

Been there for a few hours and doesnt seem to be going away. There's no obvious signs of water on the bench behind it. Maybe I splashed water when lifting the lid off?

new_tank_with_fish.jpg

Tested ammonia : 0.25

Did a 50% water change.

Went out for a few hours. Just did a test before bed and it's still around the same, if not more towards 0.5!! Whats that about?!

Nitrite was 0

Nitrate looked slightly orange, definitely not yellow.

Any ideas?

Something to do with the new filter media?

Any help / insight appreciated

You just have to keep testing and always being ready to treat it as a fish-in cycle for a short period if necessary. Having mature media is no guarantee that the bacteria will actually like and perform in their new situation, it is just usually that way the majority of the time. Bacteria can stop performing when their water chemistry situation changes or when they are physically moved or disturbed. Often it is just a short-term thing of a few days, but sometimes they will really need some time to adjust and during that time you must become the tester and water changer!

~~waterdrop~~

I have a log going for my 90L tank, its seeded with mature media, but i still expect it to cycle for 2 weeks, maybe more. Like me, you need to keep testing, its not an instant fix :)

The water between the backdrop is condensation, it happens to most tanks and unless you paint the back, you cant really escape it, which is why backgrounds with a pattern/picture on sometimes look better as you dont spot it so easily.

tested last night and ammonia was 0 and nitrate seemed to be slightly more than 0.

very odd!

Added new greenery to brighten the tank up a bit, its getting better I think :) Any other ideas to make it better are welcome!

tank_greenery.jpg

Did a few water changes up until the last two days.

For the past two days the ammonia has stayed at 0.25ppm and hasnt budged.

The nitrite is still 0

The Nirtrate looks to be between 0 and 5, slightly orange, i'd say 2.5.

Could this be the main start of the cycling?

From what I understand, I would say not cycled at all yet.

You need to see a reading for nitrite (which will prove your ammonia eating bacteria are active), and then a few days after, hopefully the nitrite will go to 0 and register as nitrate (as your nitrite eating bacteria establish).

I could be wrong tho. :sly:

I dont think she knows the difference between nitrite and nitrate so dont hold your breath ;)

Its looking positive though, keep up the water changes.

I do know the difference, and i'm a dude, not a she ;) :p

I know Nitrate effectively lives off nitrite, I thought since the nitrite reading was 0 and the nitrate reading is somewhere under 5 that its starting to grow.

You will probably have nitrates in your tap water anyway. Have you tested this?

I have 30ppm nitrate in my tap water.

Havent been on here for a while, but all fish doing well and we're keeping up with the regular water changes.

I bought a huge bucket which takes out 1/3 water in one fill, so I would take 1-2 buckets out every other day or so. Full gravel clean last night...

The Nitrate level is still somewhere between 2-5 ppm. Not quite the orange as indicated at 5ppm. Whats the ideal nitrate level??

The ammonia appears to be slowing a lot now, rarely over 0.25.
Nitrite level is constantly 0.

I also added new plants, 2 red platys and 4 small neon tetras a few days ago.

If you can maintain your ammonia and nitrites below 0.25 ppm each, don't worry so much about nitrates. At any value less than 20 ppm nitrates will be just fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back