Zebra Snail help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cmhassinger

Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I was so excited to finally find a nerite snail at my local Fish store I didn’t even notice the shell was broken! Will this harm him in anyway? And what type of calcium could I give them to help repair it?
a petco employee told me once I can give regular tums. If that right? And will that harm fish and shrimp?
Thanks

Attachments

• 051A9BAE-7E87-49BF-930C-EE086253867E.jpeg
    051A9BAE-7E87-49BF-930C-EE086253867E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
@essjay can shed some light on this, I know her snails have this. I’m pretty sure it’s because of the fact that your snail might be old. Or, it could be because you have low/high calcium.

Tums should be fine but let's wait for a few more people to confirm

My nerite's shell developed a crack several years after I got it, but seeing how it doesn't seem to have bothered the snail yours should be OK.
Where is the break - do you mean the tip being broken off? All my nerites are like that, though mine are more eroded while yours looks like it's been sliced off with a knife!

How hard is your water? If it's middling to hard there should be enough calcium in the water without adding extra. If it's very soft you could try putting a small piece of coral or limestone in the tank - not much as you don't want to change the hardness or pH by very much.
My tap water GH is 5 dH, and I don't add anything. And I've had my zebra nerite for 9 years.

I have heard about people using tums but I'd rather not risk any other additives which is why I suggest a small piece of coral or limestone. The snail can graze on it without it dissolving in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back