Winter Warmers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
Well the colder months are drawing in so its time to put away the barbeque's and ditch the salads for something warm and satisfying for dinner so i thought it would be nice if we could share some of our winter recipes.

Personally i don't think you can beat a good old fashioned beef stew and dumplings so here's how i make mine.

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2lbs of stewing steak cut into cubes and trimmed of any stringy bits of fat
2 large onions roughly chopped
2 large carrots sliced thickly
1/2 a swede cut into 1" cubes
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
2 dried bay leaves
1 tablespoon of plain flour
1/2 a pint of dark beer or ale (Wychwoods tangle foot ale is good)
1 pint of beef stock
4 small turnips halved
3 medium potatoes quartered
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
pepper to season

Start by seasoning the cubes of beef with pepper and then after heating the oil brown the cubes in batches of 6 in a large flame proof casserole dish over a medium heat, when all the beef is browned set it aside in a bowl somewhere warm. Next take the onions carrots swede thyme and bay leaves and cook in the casserole over a medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes until softened and the onions start to brown at the edges (add a little more oil if you need it), then return the meat and any juices to the casserole and stir in the tablespoon of flour until it is all absorbed. Next add the beer and stock and give it all a really good stir. Preheat the oven to 140c (gas mark 3) while you bring the stew up to simmering point and then place a lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 1 hour and 40 minutes.

While that's cooking you can make the dumplings, take 2 ounces of shredded beef suet and 4 ounces of self raising flour, add a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of dried thyme, 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped chives and 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped parsley and mix the lot together in a large bowl with 8 tablespoons of water (you may need more or less water depending on how much the flour absorbs, you want enough that the mixture can be formed into balls without breaking up). Form the dumplings into 6-8 small balls.

Then sit back and have a couple of beers or a glass of wine or two while the stew bubbles away.

When the time is up on the stew remove the casserole from the oven and place it back on the hob, stir in the potatoes and turnips and bring it back to simmering point, then place the dumplings on top of the stew, cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes. When the 20 minutes is up remove the lid, stir in the tablespoon of parsley and serve immediately in bowls with some boiled savoy cabbage and crusty buttered bread to mop the bowls clean with.

The wife & I were just talking about it getting cooler, and it being time to make a vat of stew! :good: We were at our favorite ethnic store yesterday http://www.bobak.com/ since we are both on vacation this week. I love food shopping, hate clothes shopping.

My stew recipe is a version of one I found in a 1950's edition of a Betty Crocker cookbook. Ol' Betty loved her salt, I guess everyone did back then, you have to use half of what is suggested in any non-baking recipe in that book. It's similar to yours CFC, I know some parsnips are added as well.

I'll have to dig out that book, I have a killer mushroom soup recipe it took me a while to fine tune, I watched my uncle make it every year for Christmas, and took mental notes. I have yet to perfect my grandmother's Polish hamburger recipe, but I don't feel so bad, as my uncle has yet to figure it out yet either.

You can add any variation of root vegetables to the stew, parsnips work well as an alternative to the swede or turnip if thats what you have/want. The reason i dont use parsnip in my recipe is because we already eat parsnips quite regularly either roasted or as a puree instead of mashed potato so its nice to have a change, plus the mrs and boy wont eat turnips unless i hide them in the stew :lol:

I cook, I cook and I cook 'till I drop. I'd like to share one of my best recipies with everyone:

Spicy Crispy Beef
"I have never found a recipe for crispy ginger beef like the ones in the restaurants. I have experimented, and have found something pretty close. Serve with rice and some steamed veggies."

Prepare Sauce:
Light Soy Sauce – 4 tbsp, Rice / White Vinegar – 1 tbsp, Rice Wine (or Rum!) – ½ tbsp, 1 ½ tbsp – Honey, Granulated Sugar – 6 tbsp, Crushed Chilli Sprinkles – ½ tsp, Water - 4 tbsp, Ground Ginger - 3 tbsp
Mix all ingredients together.

Prepare Meat:
Flank Steak (Thinly Sliced, OK if pre-cooked, just moisten) – 12 oz
Vegetable oil for frying
Cornstarch or Corn Flour – 4 tbsp, Salt – 1 tsp, Ground Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
Mix all ingredients together, then add the meat and coat thoroughly.

Final Cooking:
Garlic (chopped) - 2 cloves, Onion (large, quartered) – 1, Red pepper (chunky diced) – 1
Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp

1) Deep fry the coated meat on high heat for about 5 mins until crispy. Remove from pan & set aside.
2) Now add Vegetable Oil (1 tbsp), and quickly sauté the onion & garlic for about 3 mins.
3) Add the sauce and cook for 2 mins until sugar dissolved.
4) Add meat and toss back in to coat - cook for about 1 min.
5) Finally add peppers and cook for 1 min.

Enjoy!

Andy

plus the mrs and boy wont eat turnips unless i hide them in the stew :lol:

Check the bin after your next stew my love, we aren't that easy to catch out. :hey: they are really nasty things though, those turnips

Consistency. Soup is basically liquid with bits floating in it, stew is basically bits with some liquid around it.

I have to ask, because I can't make this recipe without knowing, but what do – and  mean? ????

The best winter warmer we have here in Canada is Chili. Mmm :drool:

i just had beef stew now :D three plates of it actually. and then two plates of apple crumble. :hyper:

and then a candy cane, a packet of polos, a chocolate bar, a pack of softmints..... :crazy:

I have to ask, because I can't make this recipe without knowing, but what do – and  mean? ????

The best winter warmer we have here in Canada is Chili. Mmm :drool:

Its a forum software error, those arent what the symbols should be but i'll be damned if i know what they were :lol:

At first I thought they might be half symbols but then I saw one.

This one "sauté" is a French "e" with an accent.

Could they just be marks like - ?

Does it make sense like this?

Light Soy Sauce - 4 tbsp,
Rice / White Vinegar - 1 tbsp,
Rice Wine (or Rum!) - ½ tbsp,
1½ tbsp - Honey,
Granulated Sugar - 6 tbsp,
Crushed Chilli Sprinkles - ½ tsp,
Water - 4 tbsp,
Ground Ginger - 3 tbsp

?

Mix all ingredients together.