Anyone else like to cook?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I’m a filet mignon guy. Less fat yet vey tender. On the grill is best

I love to cook. Don't so much love cleaning up. That was one thing I loved about cooking professionally, back in my college days: We had people we paid to wash up. Sure wish we could hire one of them at our house.

Man, a good venison stroganoff is unbeatable. I do it a lot like you, Jay, but add a little bit of tomato to mine. I also tend to braise the less tender cuts for strog; I like to save the tender cuts for broiling or grilling. Takes longer but turns out just as good.

I share your opinion of ribeye steaks.
I've never tried venison in a stroganoff but would imagine it to be good. Since venison tends to be VERY lean do you add anything for fat content?

I’m a filet mignon guy. Less fat yet vey tender. On the grill is best
My problem with a filet is that it is too lean. Given a choice I'll take the ribeye. A filet just has no fat which is a problem for me. Fat marbling in a steak is what gives flavor and that is what makes a good cut of ribeye so great. Think about it. Do you like prime rib? A ribeye steak is really just the big part of a prime rib. Each of us has different tastes and preferences but, to me, a filet is pretty much tasteless due to the lack of fat marbling. I mean really... a chunk of beef that has to be wrapped in bacon to have taste???

one thing about the filet is that it is healthier

one thing about the filet is that it is healthier
Funny thing about cooking is what is healthy. Take the filet and wrapping in bacon. Is bacon all that much healthy?

One of my gripes is that so many think deep fryer foods are so bad when they really are not if you know what you are doing. I have a Fabreware deep fryer that has a bit over a gallon as to capacity. What makes fried food bad is the fact that the oil gets sucked up in the food. This does not have to happen. Say that you want to fry something at 350 degrees. You can't heat the oil to 350. You have to heat the oil to 375-390 as, when you add the food, it will lower the oil temperature. Take a situation when you want to do chicken strips coated in a beer batter at 350. You need to heat the oil to in the area of 180-190. When the strips are added the oil the temperature will drastically lower. The thing is that if done properly the breading or batter sears so fast that the oil cannot penetrate.

Flank steak is honestly one of the best cuts. It’s relatively cheap, and delicious! I marinate it in equal parts olive oil and soy sauce with some tablespoons of brown sugar, ginger, and garlic. It’s delicious! I also made garlic bread and asparagus on the grill, as well as baked potato wedges.
C67560C9-16EC-443D-8CF9-5D362F56FE54.jpeg

Flank steak is honestly one of the best cuts. It’s relatively cheap, and delicious! I marinate it in equal parts olive oil and soy sauce with some tablespoons of brown sugar, ginger, and garlic. It’s delicious! I also made garlic bread and asparagus on the grill, as well as baked potato wedges.View attachment 167933
That looks delicious

I've never tried venison in a stroganoff but would imagine it to be good. Since venison tends to be VERY lean do you add anything for fat content?
I seldom add fat to venison; for elk tenderloin (wrapped in bacon and charcoal broiled, baby!) I make an exception. :)

For strog, I brown it in a little oil, then braise it for an hour or two in a little bit of beef broth with some onions, until the onions almost dissolve and the meat is fork-tender.

The big challenge of any venison and almost any wild meat (except bear and wild pork) is keeping it from drying out, since there's no fat to render out and keep it moist. I tend to do the tender cuts (backstrap, tenderloin, sirloin) broiled or grilled rare; the medium cuts fried or roasted and basted frequently, and the tougher cuts (shanks, shoulder roasts, neck) heavily browned in bacon grease or olive oil then pot-roasted all...day...long. Throw in some carrots, taters, and celery the last hour or so. mmmmm Deer shanks, elk neck? The parts most people throw out? There is no better eating on the animal, once you figure out what to do with them. All that gristle turns into gravy, right there inside the meat. Serve it up with some cheese hashbrowns and a good dark adult beverage or a big pot of tea. Nothing better.

Fun fact about deer, elk, and antelope: People say their fat doesn't taste good, but that isn't the real problem--it tastes fine. But their fat has a very high melting point, higher than beef, pork, or bear, all of which literally melt in your mouth. Deer fat solidifies at human body temperature, which means that if you leave much fat on a cut of venison, you're going to get a waxy feeling inside your mouth, which kind of ruins the mood.

Man, this is getting me hungry. Sure hope I can find an elk this weekend.

Flank steak is honestly one of the best cuts. It’s relatively cheap, and delicious! I marinate it in equal parts olive oil and soy sauce with some tablespoons of brown sugar, ginger, and garlic. It’s delicious! I also made garlic bread and asparagus on the grill, as well as baked potato wedges.View attachment 167933
I marinate a lot. My go to is half and half red wine (preferably Burgundy) and soy sauce with thin sliced red onion and pressed garlic. Sometimes I add basil but not always.

I am an asparagus junkie! I usually have it at least twice a week.

I'm also a broccoli junkie. Not anything much better than fettuccine Alfredo with grilled chicken and steamed broccoli. The way I plate it is to toss the pasta in some Alfredo and the broccoli. Then I slice the chicken to sit on top and add more Alfredo on top.

In my opinion one should always toss pasta in some of the sauce (regardless of what the sauce is) then add more sauce on top. This makes sure that all the pasta is coated in the sauce.

I also often spice the pasta water and simmer for quite a while. There are two times you can add flavor to pasta; when made if you do your own and when cooking. By simmering spices in the pasta water for a while the water becomes infused with the spices. Then, when cooking the pasta, it absorbs the spice flavors.

I seldom add fat to venison; for elk tenderloin (wrapped in bacon and charcoal broiled, baby!) I make an exception. :)

For strog, I brown it in a little oil, then braise it for an hour or two in a little bit of beef broth with some onions, until the onions almost dissolve and the meat is fork-tender.

The big challenge of any venison and almost any wild meat (except bear and wild pork) is keeping it from drying out, since there's no fat to render out and keep it moist. I tend to do the tender cuts (backstrap, tenderloin, sirloin) broiled or grilled rare; the medium cuts fried or roasted and basted frequently, and the tougher cuts (shanks, shoulder roasts, neck) heavily browned in bacon grease or olive oil then pot-roasted all...day...long. Throw in some carrots, taters, and celery the last hour or so. mmmmm Deer shanks, elk neck? The parts most people throw out? There is no better eating on the animal, once you figure out what to do with them. All that gristle turns into gravy, right there inside the meat. Serve it up with some cheese hashbrowns and a good dark adult beverage or a big pot of tea. Nothing better.

Fun fact about deer, elk, and antelope: People say their fat doesn't taste good, but that isn't the real problem--it tastes fine. But their fat has a very high melting point, higher than beef, pork, or bear, all of which literally melt in your mouth. Deer fat solidifies at human body temperature, which means that if you leave much fat on a cut of venison, you're going to get a waxy feeling inside your mouth, which kind of ruins the mood.

Man, this is getting me hungry. Sure hope I can find an elk this weekend.
Sigh, you mention bear! I've only had it once and it was done skinned, gutted and over open wood flame/coals on a rotisserie. I found it delicious! It was a bit stringy and greasy but the greasy was a sweet greasy. It was also VERY tender. It was a black bear in northern Ontario Canada.

Sigh, you mention bear! I've only had it once and it was done skinned, gutted and over open wood flame/coals on a rotisserie. I found it delicious! It was a bit stringy and greasy but the greasy was a sweet greasy. It was also VERY tender. It was a black bear in northern Ontario Canada.
I have a couple friends that hunt bears. Once in a while I am gifted with some meat or (even better) fat. I tend to use it for wood and leather finishing, but it's the best shortening in the world, too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back