FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! I got a new 10 gal. Fish tank form my LFS for only 15! (It came with a filter and a heater to)

It has some weird white flaky stuff on the sides, and I am wondering if I could just scrape it off with a razor blade.?

It is a “real” glass aquarium. And I know you can’t use a razor on acrylic tanks, but can you use it on glass tanks? Thank you for your time! :thanks: :)

It can scratch but shouldn't if you use it correctly. I have an actual aquarium scraper that has one of the old-type razor blades in it. I'm not sure I can intelligently describe this...but always use it directly across the cutting edge of the blade. Same as you shave, if that is relevant.

Ohhh no! Sorry, I meant like a razor blade from a utility knife! Not a shaving razor! :lol: :)

Yes you can use the blade from a box cutter/ utility knife. Just have the blade on a 30-45 degree angle to the glass and gently push it across the glass.

You can buy single sided razorblades that have a smooth round edge on one side and a sharp edge on the opposite side. We used these in the shop tanks and at home.

If you get dirty or gravel stuck under the blade, that will scratch the glass but the blade doesn't normally.

It's a good idea to fill the tank and let it soak for a day to soften everything up, then use the blade to scrape the algae and calcium off.

Thanks guys!!! And this might sound like a noob question, but would it be better to fill it up in my bathtub? Or outside? :)

Is the weird flaky stuff possibly from a sticker that was on the tank at one point? If that is the case , you could cover the top of the tank tightly and use something like wd 40 to soak the left over sticker and then you might be able to use a nylon scrubbie pad to remove it....just don't get any wd 40 inside the tank...then soap up and remove any residue but don't get soap inside of the tank.

Then you could do a final cleanup with vinegar mixed with water and clean the entire tank inside and out. Afterwards, a thorough water rinse will get it squeaky clean.

Last edited:
Don't fill it in the tub. Always fill on a flat level surface. The tub bottom is rounded and you might stress it to the point of cracking it since you should fill it clear full.
Thanks guys!!! And this might sound like a noob question, but would it be better to fill it up in my bathtub? Or outside? :)

Thank you @Back in the fold !

I figured out, that it was just a major calcium build up!

So I used some vinegar, and let it sit on each side for about 15 min.

It is currently chalk-full of tap water now, and is sitting on my bathroom floor.

I really didn’t think of that @Back in the fold, and I appreciate you telling me that! :)

If that was a brand new tank, I wonder why there was calcium buildup on the glass?

Noooo sorry, that was a misunderstanding.

I got the tank used, from my LFS, there used to be fish in it, but they didn’t sell, so they emptyed the tank, and sold it.

Sorry about that! :) :lol:

yeh now that makes more sense for seeing calcium buildup on the interior walls

Sorry for the misunderstanding! :)

Do any of you guys know a very easy-to-grow carpeting plant? :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back