Why Does This Happen?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I woke up this morning and my betta's fins were transparent (like when I first got it) and it's body looked a little pale. I freaked out and did a water change. With help from Ch4rile I calmed down and tested my water and everything was where it needed to be. I also gave my betta a little bit of food to see if it would eat and it did. It's acting completely normal so I guess I freaked for nothing but why does this happen??? Is it because it's still a baby and colors are changing? It's colors were getting so pretty I just don't understand why it'd go bland again. The only thing I did different is yesterday I fed pellets instead of frozen to switch it up for it. Could it also be due to fasting it to long or something? It had some bloating issues a few days ago (which I fixed with a bit of a pea and fasting for about 2 days) but then I was away and didn't feed him again for a day because I know your suppose to give them a break and I didn't know if fixing the bloated problem counted.

Side note: when I'm away I open up a curtain so light can get into the room. Can that make is color different?

Young bettas will do this quite often as they are small it's best that they don't stand out so much at times as they are more likely to get picked off by predators in the wild so they will go through phases of looking bland if they feel the need ( they are spooked quite easily and with good reason being so small :) ) so don't worry you should find when he is relaxed the colours will come right back, adult females will do this quite readily in response to stress at times hence the term stress stripes but adult males rarely do unless there is something very wrong.

*shew* okay, thanks. I wonder what could have spooked it to make it go pale. I dont feel like the snail is intimidating lol.

Agreed. usually when at rest in the dark they do not need to show colors ( mainly used for attracting a mate, even though we breed for more color, the instinct is still there) so they go bland. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back