FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

casdeswinchester

Reaction score
So yesterday some of my female bettas had been resting on the gravel and not moving or eating and fading color. Today my angel fish is also doing the same as well as breathing rapidly, my other angels and mollies are fine but are pooping long stringy white poop, this has been going on for about a week, I've been feeding small amounts of flake food and the angels seem to eat it all quickly. My gouramis have not been affected yet.

Water parameters are fine and i did a 40l water change yesterday from my 200l tank (40 gal). Any ideas, I think it's internal parasites but I'm not sure, thanks.

Attachments

• 20190414_133745.jpg
    20190414_133745.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 2,342
  • 20190414_134415.jpg
    20190414_134415.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 488
  • 20190414_133809.jpg
    20190414_133809.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 825
  • 20190414_134555.jpg
    20190414_134555.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,470
  • 20190414_134608.jpg
    20190414_134608.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,751
Fish do a stringy white poop for several reasons.
1) internal bacterial infection causes the fish to stop eating, swell up like a balloon, breath heavily at surface or near a filter outlet, do stringy white poop, and die within 24-48 hours of showing these symptoms. This cannot normally be cured because massive internal organ failure has already occurred.

2) internal protozoan infection cause the fish to lose weight rapidly (over a week or two), fish continues to eat and swim around but not as much as normal, does stringy white poop. If not treated the fish dies a week or so after these symptoms appear. Metronidazole normally works well for this.

There is a medication (API General Cure) that contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole and might be worth trying.
It's interesting that API and the Californian government have listed Metronidazole as a carcinogen. That's a concern considering it was widely used to treat intestinal infections in people.
Anyway, handle with care, don't inhale the medication, and wash hands with soapy water after treating the fish or working in the tank.

3) intestinal worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.
Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

-------------------------------
Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Try doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.
If there's no improvement after a couple of water changes then treat them.

Fish do a stringy white poop for several reasons.
1) internal bacterial infection causes the fish to stop eating, swell up like a balloon, breath heavily at surface or near a filter outlet, do stringy white poop, and die within 24-48 hours of showing these symptoms. This cannot normally be cured because massive internal organ failure has already occurred.

2) internal protozoan infection cause the fish to lose weight rapidly (over a week or two), fish continues to eat and swim around but not as much as normal, does stringy white poop. If not treated the fish dies a week or so after these symptoms appear. Metronidazole normally works well for this.

There is a medication (API General Cure) that contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole and might be worth trying.
It's interesting that API and the Californian government have listed Metronidazole as a carcinogen. That's a concern considering it was widely used to treat intestinal infections in people.
Anyway, handle with care, don't inhale the medication, and wash hands with soapy water after treating the fish or working in the tank.

3) intestinal worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.
Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

-------------------------------
Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Try doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.
If there's no improvement after a couple of water changes then treat them.

Thanks for replying, I live in the UK, so they do not sell api general cure and metro here, is there any alternatives?

Also would I be able to use waterlife sterazin, thanks

waterlife sterazin doesn't do anything to help fish and they should stop making it.

I have no idea what is available in the UK but others on here are from the UK and they will be on in a few hours. They should be able to give you ideas.

Meds in the UK containing things Colin mentioned:

Praziquantel - eSHa gdex
Levamisole - eSHa-ndx

Metronidazole - vet's prescription
Antibiotics - vet's prescription.

Waterlife Sterazin contains dimetridazole - I emailed them after someone told me it contains metronidazole. They told me it doesn't contain metronidazole but it does contain dimetridazole.

Meds in the UK containing things Colin mentioned:

Praziquantel - eSHa gdex
Levamisole - eSHa-ndx

Metronidazole - vet's prescription
Antibiotics - vet's prescription.

Waterlife Sterazin contains dimetridazole - I emailed them after someone told me it contains metronidazole. They told me it doesn't contain metronidazole but it does contain dimetridazole.

Ok, I know now that it's an internal protozoan and not intestinal worms as my fish have severe sunken in stomach, so Prazi and lava won't work against it? I was wondering if I could use seachem paraguard as it says that it stops parasites, does it contains metronidazole? thanks

Ok, I know now that it's an internal protozoan and not intestinal worms as my fish have severe sunken in stomach, so Prazi and lava won't work against it? I was wondering if I could use seachem paraguard as it says that it stops parasites, does it contains metronidazole? thanks

Update: I just brought some api general cure from Amazon, it will take about a 2 weeks to get here, hopefully this works, meanwhile should I use garlic to boost the fishes immune system?

SeaChem Paraguard doesn't do anything for internal problems.

Garlic doesn't do anything to help fish.

Can you try to get the API General Cure express delivery?
The sooner you treat, the more chance of success.

Try to feed them more often if they are eating.
Do daily water changes and gravel cleaning.

SeaChem Paraguard doesn't do anything for internal problems.

Garlic doesn't do anything to help fish.

Can you try to get the API General Cure express delivery?
The sooner you treat, the more chance of success.

Try to feed them more often if they are eating.
Do daily water changes and gravel cleaning.

The api will be here by Monday or Tuesday, one of my bettas have developed drospy, is that a sign of internal parasites or internal worms like tapeworm, If it is will the api be able to cure both?

Dropsy is caused by an internal bacterial infection or organ failure. The api general cure might help but it depends on what species of bacteria is causing the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back