White Spot On Betta! Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Today as I went to do my water change (that I was was behind on, I know I'm a terrible fish owner for doing so but I only feed him about 3 times a week so I figured it was fine) I noticed a white spot on the side of my betta's head. It must be newish because I haven't seen it before. I can't figure out if it is a flesh would of some kind (though I don't know what he could have hurt himself on) or if its a fungus of sorts. Since I was late on the water change and the tank needed it I went ahead and proceeded with change after I took some readings. Here they are:  
Ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate                                                      Ph
IMG_1130.jpg                         IMG_1131.jpg

Here's the best pictures I could get of the spot. I only have my phone as a camera so it's hard to get good pictures when I have to zoom in but here's what I got.

IMG_1128.jpg                                       IMG_1117.jpg

Please help.                 

Hard to tell from the second photo as it is a bit blurry.  It looks like it might be standing away and be fuzzy, possibly fungus.

Your betta looks young and quite thin.  You might want to consider increasing his feeds.

I'll try increasing the feeds but he bloats easily. He's almost (or is) a year old (I got him from Petco). Wouldn't a fungus mess with my water stats? How would I treat it if it was a fungus? I'll try and get some better pictures but like I explained with my phone it's really difficult. I tried keeping guppies before him and for some reason they just wouldn't stay alive (I'm convinced the shop had a bad batch because I had my tank cycled and water stats were what they were suppose to be but still I just had a death tank). I've had this guy for almost a year and I'm really attached to him.

Also he's not acting sick and he's eating like normal.

Mostly frozen food and sometimes pellets for variety.

PrairieSunflower said:
Hard to tell from the second photo as it is a bit blurry.  It looks like it might be standing away and be fuzzy, possibly fungus.

Your betta looks young and quite thin.  You might want to consider increasing his feeds.
I agree, he should be plumper than that.

Then I'll definetly feed him more often. I was told bettas only needed to eat about three times a week and I'm terrified of over feeding him because that can led to some bad things. Any ideas about how to treat the white stuff?

You can treat him with Interpet Fungus and Fin Rot meds.  Fungus doesn't necessarily always happen due to bad water conditions.  When I used to keep guppies I had one that would get a touch of fungus on the side of its mouth which seemed to be down to stress.  (I love guppies, best personality but notoriously hard to keep healthwise, I gave up on keeping them).

I feed my betta 6 days a week on Hikari Bio Gold pellets, pre-soaking them helps them digest best.  I give him daphnia on the 7th day, helps keep his system clear.  He gets blood worms about every two weeks. 

I would recommend rather than potentially over feeding him if he bloats easily, I would start with worming him. He looks like a fish that could well have worms which will keep him emaciated and also will lower his immunity. What size is his tank, and filtration etc? I would up the water changes for awhile to assist with removing anything in the water potentially making him sick. Someone from the U.S. will need to advise you on best medication for him. Good luck.

I feed him a variety pack frozen food (it was the most carnivorous frozen food the pet store I frequent had because I wanted specificly bloodworms and daphnia but didn't have any luck) and I feed him four pellets when I use the pellets. I will definetly up his feeding.

RCA: I have only been feeding him about three times a week because I thought that's what you were suppose to do with bettas. There's so much information out there I must have misunderstood something. And he was also on a different food when the bloating happened so maybe that has something to do with it. He's in a filtered five gallon tank kept at 80 degrees.

Even though pet stores are usually idiots I'm going to see if they can help me identify what the white spot is and how to treat for it. I just don't want my little guy going belly up.

I have a diary for him and I feel really bad because no one mentioned him looking skinny on there so I kept feeding him like I had been. I want to to everything to keep my betta happy.

I've started treatment with pimafix.

New feeding regiment will be frozen food, pellets, blood worms, rest day, repeat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, peeps!

Anything ending with "fix" is dangerous to labyrinths. It damages their gills.

That's the only fungal meds they had DX. Why isn't that on the label? Should I do a water change? How can I treat him? The spot looks a little better but I don't want to continue treatment if it'll burt him more!

I'm doing a small water change.

Some sources I read said don't use it at all while some source say it's perfectly fine to use and others say to not use a full dose and it's fine. The spot looks a little better, does that count for nothing?

(11:05 pm)
Curse words! Curse words, curse words, curse words! While I was siphoning out water I sucked him out and he went in the bucket DX. I got him out and back in the tank and he swam away from the net to the bottom of the tank and laid on his side.... Oh thank god he's swimming around! Annnnddd he's resting in the bottom but at least in an upright position. Jezz that scared the mess out of me...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back