White Growth on Betta - EMERGENCY - unsure of what it is

Bettagills

Reaction score
Azora is a Halfmoon female betta fish of about a year old. She is energetic, happy, colorful, eats frequently and with no issue. About a month ago I noticed a small white dot (bump) growing above her right eye. I research and began treating her for a fungal issue using pimafix. After a week of treatment with no results I gave her a week and then began treating for a bacterial infection with Melafix. The bump seemed to fade a little but again, melafix did not make it go away. I have been adding AQ salt to her water during weekly water changes but the lump is only growing. It is white and almost looks like a raised island on her head. I am quite worried it could be a tumor of some kind but I am not sure. I thought it may be ich to but the white spot is only on her head and looks like more of a patch than an ich dot. I want to be able to treat her but I donā€™t know what Iā€™m dealing with and was hoping you all could give me a second Opinion.

here is her water information...
Tank size: Housed in a 2.5, filtered tank but is currently residing in a hospital tank of a half gallon so I can watch her closely

pH: 7.3 - 7.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 2
kH: Moderate
gH: Moderate
tank temp: 75 -80

Fish Symptoms: Azora is a Halfmoon female betta fish of about a year old. She is energetic, happy, colorful, eats frequently and with no issue. Only symptom is a growing white lump/patch on her head (that is not effecting her in anyway as of right now)

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 40-70% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: filter media, AQ salt, Prime, dechlorinator

Tank inhabitants: live plants

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): I moved from fake to live plants as of a month ago.

Exposure to chemicals: none other than my water primer

Digital photos below
1DC06FDC-CC65-4BE9-815D-8AC44A570348.jpeg
3A733E27-B2EA-4C1F-8DAA-C370B9B9F8F2.jpeg
1DC06FDC-CC65-4BE9-815D-8AC44A570348.jpeg
3A733E27-B2EA-4C1F-8DAA-C370B9B9F8F2.jpeg
561F1F83-8A3E-4FD5-B131-5DE722482287.jpeg
BAD7AA07-65B6-4313-BE40-63E1BBE75CAA.jpeg

Last edited:
First, did you get your nitrite and nitrate readings switched? Your nitrite reading is too high. Never use Melafix, betta fix, or Pima fix on bettas. It can suffocate them due to their labyrinth organ. It appears fungal to me. I would try a good fungal med. @Colin_T what do you think?

Yes I am sorry I mixed them. Nitrite is 0 nitrate is 1. I used pimafix for a week and ruled out fungal but if you are saying that med is no good.... should I treat it as fungal with something else?

Letā€™s see if @Colin_T responds first. Until he does, do daily 50% water changes and add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for each 5 gallons of water. After first day, only add 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt with each 50% water change daily. Be sure salt is dissolved in a little tank water first or it can sting the fish. Fungus likes heat so you may want to turn heat down a couple of degrees during treatment. If no improvement in 5 days, I would go with something like Jungle Fungus Clear.

Letā€™s see if @Colin_T responds first. Until he does, do daily 50% water changes and add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for each 5 gallons of water. After first day, only add 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt with each 50% water change daily. Be sure salt is dissolved in a little tank water first or it can sting the fish. Fungus likes heat so you may want to turn heat down a couple of degrees during treatment. If no improvement in 5 days, I would go with something like Jungle Fungus Clear.
So you think is is fungal rather than a tumor???

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s fungal instead of a tumor. Iā€™m not an aquatic vet though. Sadly, thereā€™s nothing you can do for a tumor anyway.

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s fungal instead of a tumor. Iā€™m not an aquatic vet though. Sadly, thereā€™s nothing you can do for a tumor anyway.
Any update on what you think it may be? It is only getting larger which is leading me to believe it is a tumor.... what kind of fungal med would you recommend if it is that?

Actually, Jungle Lifeguard is good on fungus. Walmart usually carries it toi.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back