• sterbai cory (Corydoras sterbai)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Gold laser cory (Corydoras sp. CW010)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banded cory (scleromystax barbatus)

• corydoras sp. 187

• Emerald catfish ( Corydoras splendens)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • tailspot cory (Corydoras caudimaculatus)

• Other Cory (please state what this is)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Only recently have I learned that Corydoras are so scrutinized by those who like them. The back and forth over correct names caught me by surprise. I thought they were just little South American catfish. Silly me.
Years ago I had a couple Corydoras jullii (?) , they were silvery white with speckle spots like leopards. I loved those little cats. They were so comical and playful.
Edit: see post # 45. That's what I had.

My favourites at this moment are my C.sterbai (normal and albinos) and C.trilineatus. C.napoensis is next. Had 12 but now 3 (after divorcing and moving house).C.paleatus albino is third.
But there are so many I don't keep but are doooo awesome

Attachments

• 20220826_130636.jpg
    20220826_130636.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 36
Only recently have I learned that Corydoras are so scrutinized by those who like them. The back and forth over correct names caught me by surprise. I thought they were just little South American catfish. Silly me.
Years ago I had a couple Corydoras jullii (?) , they were silvery white with speckle spots like leopards. I loved those little cats. They were so comical and playful.
C.trilineatus that are sold all over the world as C.julii for what reason so ever.

Looking at the picture in post # 45 , do you tell them by the three horizontal broken stripes ? Is that where the trilineatus comes from ?
Yes, but there are also trilineatus with hardly visible lines and a different patterning. C.julii isn't available in the commercial trade (and has a different (head)shape) though so anyone telling (s)he bought C.julii in am LFS actually are the C.trilineatus which are currently tankbred in most cases.

It gets confusing even when you're really into them!
Like even your basic beginner (sorry to my bronze babies, I still love you!) Bronze cory, C. aeneus, has a lot of little sub-types? So your C. aeneus might not be a typical bronze. I get confused!
See this from the Seriously Fish profile about Bronze cories (C. aeneus)

"The chances that a single Corydoras species occurs across such a vast geographical area is unlikely for a number of reasons, and there already exist the following nominal taxa, all of which are currently considered synonyms of C. aeneus:

• Corydoras microps Eigenmann & Kennedy, 1903. Type locality: from a small lagoon, half dry, near the Rio Branco (Mato Grosso, Brazil).
  • Corydoras venezuelanus Ihering, 1911: Type locality: Río Cabriales, Valencia, Est. Carabobo, Venezuela.
  • Corydoras macrosteus Regan, 1912a: Type locality: Rio Piracicaba, San Paulo, Brazil.
  • Corydoras schultzei Holly, 1940: Type locality: aquarium specimen (said to be from very small water-courses of the Amazon).
Of these, C. schultzei has been routinely misapplied to a melanistic strain of aquarium C. aeneus which exhibits a blackish colour pattern, is often traded as ‘C. schultzei black’ and said to be exported from Venezuela."

It gets confusing even when you're really into them!
Like even your basic beginner (sorry to my bronze babies, I still love you!) Bronze cory, C. aeneus, has a lot of little sub-types? So your C. aeneus might not be a typical bronze. I get confused!
See this from the Seriously Fish profile about Bronze cories (C. aeneus)

"The chances that a single Corydoras species occurs across such a vast geographical area is unlikely for a number of reasons, and there already exist the following nominal taxa, all of which are currently considered synonyms of C. aeneus:

• Corydoras microps Eigenmann & Kennedy, 1903. Type locality: from a small lagoon, half dry, near the Rio Branco (Mato Grosso, Brazil).
  • Corydoras venezuelanus Ihering, 1911: Type locality: Río Cabriales, Valencia, Est. Carabobo, Venezuela.
  • Corydoras macrosteus Regan, 1912a: Type locality: Rio Piracicaba, San Paulo, Brazil.
  • Corydoras schultzei Holly, 1940: Type locality: aquarium specimen (said to be from very small water-courses of the Amazon).
Of these, C. schultzei has been routinely misapplied to a melanistic strain of aquarium C. aeneus which exhibits a blackish colour pattern, is often traded as ‘C. schultzei black’ and said to be exported from Venezuela."
As far as I know C.venezuelanus is not longer seen as a type of C.aeneus. Most sold green aeneus originate from the time that is was seen as such and are actually crossbreds in the current time.

I have owned C.aeneus that definitely were seen as c.macrosteus earlier and now are C.aeneus again. See the pic. 1,5 times as big as normal C.aeneus

Schultzei is another ungoing story.
Read the Planet Catfish info also about the black one. It isn't a melanistic variaty btw.

Attachments

• 20180315_205148_wm.jpg
    20180315_205148_wm.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 30
As far as I know C.venezuelanus is not longer seen as a type of C.aeneus. Most sold green aeneus originate from the time that is was seen as such and are actually crossbreds in the current time.

I have owned C.aeneus that definitely were seen as c.macrosteus earlier and now are C.aeneus again. See the pic. 1,5 times as big as normal C.aeneus

Read the Planet Catfish info also about the black one. It isn't a melanistic variaty btw.

This is what I mean about there being difficulties in the classification of different cories, even if you just think of what most people think of as a pretty standard and very common fish in the hobby. Seriously Fish is a resource most of us trust, and that's what they say. Planet Catfish is trusted too, but @Byron helpfully provided what Ian Fuller says about the black 'Venezuelan' cory - and I think we can all agree that Ian Fuller of Corydoras World is regarded as an authority on corydora - see quote from Ian Fuller below;

The truth about the Black Cory

Many people believe that the Black Cory is native to Venezuela and it is not. Even members of the trade make the mistake and perpetuate the information. The story of the "Black" cory started in the early 1990's with Hartmut Eberhardt in Weimar, Germany, where he lived. He was breeding the C. aeneus form we now know as C. schultzeei and was producing thousands. However amongst these many offspring small numbers of black fry were emerging, Hartmut kept and raised these to maturity, and then through controlled breeding the strain was successfully fixed. Some of these "Black" young were sold to a commercial breeder in the Czech Republic, where they were subsequently reproduced in their thousands, and it was in 1996 that they were first introduced into the UK and soon became very popular.

Now the point at which the confusion very may have started, was a discussion in the PlanetCatfish forums regarding the "Black Cory" and origin, it was mentioned that there was a dark form of another C. aeneus type we now know as C. venezuelanus that came from the Northern Guarico State of Venezuela and it is possible that this discussion triggered the confusion. The dark form of C. venezeulanus have never commercially entered the hobby.

If you are having trouble distinguishing one from the other, here is a simple guide. Young C. schultzii "Black" tend to have all reddish fins which darken with maturity. C. venezuelanus look very similar the young C. schultzei "Black". However both the normal C. venezuelanus we see in the hobby, and the dark form have reddish dorsal and adipose fins, but the caudal, anal and ventral fins are grey.

There is a short article by Shane Linder, who collected both forms of C. venezuelanus, in the Species groups section under Aeneus group - Corydoras cf venezuelanus "Northern Guarico State."

Ian Fuller

This is what I mean about there being difficulties in the classification of different cories, even if you just think of what most people think of as a pretty standard and very common fish in the hobby. Seriously Fish is a resource most of us trust, and that's what they say. Planet Catfish is trusted too, but @Byron helpfully provided what Ian Fuller says about the black 'Venezuelan' cory - and I think we can all agree that Ian Fuller of Corydoras World is regarded as an authority on corydora - see quote from Ian Fuller below;

The truth about the Black Cory

Many people believe that the Black Cory is native to Venezuela and it is not. Even members of the trade make the mistake and perpetuate the information. The story of the "Black" cory started in the early 1990's with Hartmut Eberhardt in Weimar, Germany, where he lived. He was breeding the C. aeneus form we now know as C. schultzeei and was producing thousands. However amongst these many offspring small numbers of black fry were emerging, Hartmut kept and raised these to maturity, and then through controlled breeding the strain was successfully fixed. Some of these "Black" young were sold to a commercial breeder in the Czech Republic, where they were subsequently reproduced in their thousands, and it was in 1996 that they were first introduced into the UK and soon became very popular.

Now the point at which the confusion very may have started, was a discussion in the PlanetCatfish forums regarding the "Black Cory" and origin, it was mentioned that there was a dark form of another C. aeneus type we now know as C. venezuelanus that came from the Northern Guarico State of Venezuela and it is possible that this discussion triggered the confusion. The dark form of C. venezeulanus have never commercially entered the hobby.

If you are having trouble distinguishing one from the other, here is a simple guide. Young C. schultzii "Black" tend to have all reddish fins which darken with maturity. C. venezuelanus look very similar the young C. schultzei "Black". However both the normal C. venezuelanus we see in the hobby, and the dark form have reddish dorsal and adipose fins, but the caudal, anal and ventral fins are grey.

There is a short article by Shane Linder, who collected both forms of C. venezuelanus, in the Species groups section under Aeneus group - Corydoras cf venezuelanus "Northern Guarico State."

Ian Fuller

What do you exactly mean? The info isn't that different than PC states I think.

BTW : It is quite weird but my C.venezuelanus get quite dark now and then not resembling the one inthe pic anymore hahahaha

Attachments

• 1_wm.jpg
    1_wm.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 31
What do you exactly mean? The info isn't that different than PC states I think.
Because you said:

It's a melanistic form of Corydoras schultzei , right? Which some consider to the be the same as C. aeneus, some don't?

Because you said:

It's a melanistic form of Corydoras schultzei , right? Which some consider to the be the same as C. aeneus, some don't?
The "ungoing story" is about it still to be considered a C.aeneus by some. . I have kept them (sold as C.aeneus hahaha) and they defintely had a different shape and coloring.

To me it isn't a melanistic but a quite dark linebred fish. Often offspring (if parents aren't well selected) turns into dark brown fish.

Last edited:
Taxonomically, the "species" Corydoras macrosteus, C. microps, C. schultzi and C. venezuelanus are not distinct species but "varieties" (for lack of a better word) of C. aeneus. The four afore-mentioned species names are deemed synonyms of C. aeneus.

This has been accepted by every ichthyologist since it was stated by Nijssen & Isbrücker 1980. The paper is here:

The authors did not have phylogenetic data at that time, but dozens of subsequent phylogenetic analysis studies have supported their findings for the most part, and certainly with these four species. They are currently all accepted as C. aeneus, regardless of external differences.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back