• sterbai cory (Corydoras sterbai)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Gold laser cory (Corydoras sp. CW010)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banded cory (scleromystax barbatus)

• corydoras sp. 187

• Emerald catfish ( Corydoras splendens)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • tailspot cory (Corydoras caudimaculatus)

• Other Cory (please state what this is)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Numbers have a big impact on fish behaviour when it comes to shoaling species. I never found my C. sterbai "shy," but they did prefer each other's company more noticeably than some other species. I had a group of four initially, one of these died for some reason, but along the way a fry appeared, so in the end I still had four, and they did spend a lot of surfing time in pairs and trios. They were in with some 30 other cories of several species so that probably helped. Safety in numbers, and 10 or more is the "cut-off."
So I can keep 10 sterbai? Do you think that's good for a 40g breeder that will have some peacock gudgeons?

Numbers have a big impact on fish behaviour when it comes to shoaling species. I never found my C. sterbai "shy," but they did prefer each other's company more noticeably than some other species. I had a group of four initially, one of these died for some reason, but along the way a fry appeared, so in the end I still had four, and they did spend a lot of surfing time in pairs and trios. They were in with some 30 other cories of several species so that probably helped. Safety in numbers, and 10 or more is the "cut-off."
Hum. Interesting - i always kept the ones in my 29 in groups of 7-8; as that is the max i feel comfortable in a 29; but maybe i need more in a larger aquarium. Having said that i have between 10 and 15 orange laser in my 40B and they are worse than the sterbai so who knows.

Awesome! So I just need to be a bit more gentle with my approach to the tank.
But I do wish the sterbai corydora had a more out going personality... I want to have active and playful corydoras.
As Bryon said numbers do have an impact on fish behaviour. Other bottom dewelers can increase there activity by making them feel more comfortable.
So I can keep 10 sterbai? Do you think that's good for a 40g breeder that will have some peacock gudgeons?
You can definitely keep 10 in a 40g breeder if they are quite shy I would add another six to the tank. Just make sure you have plants and or cover for them.

You could easily keep 15 or more cories the size of Sterbai in a 40g, and they definitely seem much happier in larger groups - how many really depends on your other stocking, the total bioload of the tank - and I don't know a thing about peacock gudgeons so I can't help there.
I currently have 18 cories in a 36g, and they're doing absolutely fine, don't seem overly crowded, although I am upgrading the tank to have more footprint partly for their sake - but it's a heavily planted tank with weekly 50-60% W/Cs.

As Bryon said numbers do have an impact on fish behaviour. Other bottom dewelers can increase there activity by making them feel more comfortable.

You can definitely keep 10 in a 40g breeder if they are quite shy I would add another six to the tank. Just make sure you have plants and or cover for them.
So all together 16 in a 40g WITH the gudgeons? Seems a bit much... But maybe they would actually be really good?

In a standard 40g breeder tank (I had one, showed you photos in an earlier post) I would recommend at least 15 Corydoras, up to 20. I had 40, but they were moved from my 70g when I moved and had to downsize, and I did not intend giving up my cories. The 40 did very well for three years, until my terminal cancer issue forced me to give my tanks away this past Spring. There were some 20 upper fish as well.

As I mentioned in another of your threads a few months back, the Gudgeons are the big question. I've never kept them, but I would be concerned about these with cories, especially if breeding. But aside from this, the 15-20+ cories is without question the best here for their own well being.

You could easily keep 15 or more cories the size of Sterbai in a 40g, and they definitely seem much happier in larger groups - how many really depends on your other stocking, the total bioload of the tank - and I don't know a thing about peacock gudgeons so I can't help there.
I currently have 18 cories in a 36g, and they're doing absolutely fine, don't seem overly crowded, although I am upgrading the tank to have more footprint partly for their sake - but it's a heavily planted tank with weekly 50-60% W/Cs.
My gudgeons like the mid-bottom section of the tank and the female is the one who travels to the middle but the male like the caves and mostly stays low.
But that's AMAZING that I can have that many! So cool!
In a standard 40g breeder tank (I had one, showed you photos in an earlier post) I would recommend at least 15 Corydoras, up to 20. I had 40, but they were moved from my 70g when I moved and had to downsize, and I did not intend giving up my cories. The 40 did very well for three years, until my terminal cancer issue forced me to give my tanks away this past Spring. There were some 20 upper fish as well.

As I mentioned in another of your threads a few months back, the Gudgeons are the big question. I've never kept them, but I would be concerned about these with cories, especially if breeding. But aside from this, the 15-20+ cories is without question the best here for their own well being.
That's great to hear! My gudgeons are only an inch and at full length so they shouldn't want to be aggressive with the corydoras or most fish.
They are only known to go after fish that can either fit in their mouth or if they are their own species.
Thank you for all your advice!

Also I'm so so deeply sorry about your having cancer. I saw that thread about you having cancer and I didn't really respond when I found out... I honestly didn't know what to say. I did pray but I just didn't know what to say to you at all.
Be strong Byron!

My gudgeons like the mid-bottom section of the tank and the female is the one who travels to the middle but the male like the caves and mostly stays low.
But that's AMAZING that I can have that many! So cool!

That's great to hear! My gudgeons are only an inch and at full length so they shouldn't want to be aggressive with the corydoras or most fish.
They are only known to go after fish that can either fit in their mouth or if they are their own species.
Thank you for all your advice!

Also I'm so so deeply sorry about your having cancer. I saw that thread about you having cancer and I didn't really respond when I found out... I honestly didn't know what to say. I did pray but I just didn't know what to say to you at all.
Be strong Byron!

Thank you indeed for the kind words. We do seem to be getting the upper hand on the cancer with the new drug, the latest CT Scan shows that the spots have for the second time reduced in size and no new ones have appeared. Kinda sorry I gave my tanks away, but at that time there was a very real possibility that I would only have a few months at best, and I wanted to find a good home myself. What's done is done. Not sure I should get another tank, this is such a roller coaster issue.

Thank you indeed for the kind words. We do seem to be getting the upper hand on the cancer with the new drug, the spots have for the second time reduced in size and no new ones have appeared. Kinda sorry I gave my tanks away, but at that time there was a very real possibility that I would only have a few months at best, and I wanted to find a good home myself. What's done is done. Not sure I should get another tank, this is such a roller coaster issue.
Yah, don't over due stress.
A small calming tank is nice that doesn't need much maintenance.
Glad to hear you are finding solutions to it.
Hopefully it's not a few months. Hopefully it's years and years!

Thank you indeed for the kind words. We do seem to be getting the upper hand on the cancer with the new drug, the latest CT Scan shows that the spots have for the second time reduced in size and no new ones have appeared.
It's completely made my day to hear this!! You're a fighter and a trooper, @Byron ! kicking cancer butt!!
I hope you're feeling stronger and not so wiped out from the treatment. It's certainly been wonderful to see you posting here much more; I was hoping that was a good sign that you were feeling better in yourself at least! ❤️

Kinda sorry I gave my tanks away, but at that time there was a very real possibility that I would only have a few months at best, and I wanted to find a good home myself. What's done is done. Not sure I should get another tank, this is such a roller coaster issue.

I'm sorry that you had to give your tanks away - but I still think you did the right thing. At the time you were really struggling with the mediations and feeling guilty about not being able to maintain them as much as you'd like, and pushing yourself to look after them when you needed to conserve your strength to look after you. Adding the worry about what might happen to them if you lost your fight... it gave you peace of mind when you needed it.

Now that things are different, you could always consider whether a smaller and easily maintained tank is possible, if you wanted! You did the right thing at the time you had to, and I know you'll make the right choice now that circumstances have changed, in deciding whether to get another tank. :)

It's completely made my day to hear this!! You're a fighter and a trooper, @Byron ! kicking cancer butt!!
I hope you're feeling stronger and not so wiped out from the treatment. It's certainly been wonderful to see you posting here much more; I was hoping that was a good sign that you were feeling better in yourself at least! ❤️

I'm sorry that you had to give your tanks away - but I still think you did the right thing. At the time you were really struggling with the mediations and feeling guilty about not being able to maintain them as much as you'd like, and pushing yourself to look after them when you needed to conserve your strength to look after you. Adding the worry about what might happen to them if you lost your fight... it gave you peace of mind when you needed it.

Now that things are different, you could always consider whether a smaller and easily maintained tank is possible, if you wanted! You did the right thing at the time you had to, and I know you'll make the right choice now that circumstances have changed, in deciding whether to get another tank. :)
I want to give multiple reactions to this...
😍✅🏆

Mannnnnn I missed this greatest news I've heared for years. That is really really great Byron. Keep up that steady line man.

He has a point that albinos, of any wild animal, tend not to survive in the wild. But within the hobby I don't see a problem with them personally - aquarium fish should never be released into the wild.
If that's the criteria we've some more.
I think all linebred fish such as longfins, allmost all kinds of goldfish, angels, discus, etc etc.... won't survive in the wild.

Attachments

• 20220831_113958.jpg
    20220831_113958.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 30

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back