What's The Big Deal Anyway?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think we're supposed to be encouraging her, TT, not trying to put her off!! lol
It must seem quite daunting at the moment Ny, but it will so be worth it when you can go out with your daughter and have the fun-packed days you had as a child!

TallTree01 said:
Take a video of your first go on a bike, would be great! ( possibility of winning big bucks if you have ' funniest home videos ' show in uk.
wink.png
)

Oh very good :p give everyone a right laugh.

When starting out the chances are you will fall off many times so be prepared for that...

It's just a bike. It's not like you can't swim.....that would be bad.

IMO

Ny, my missus was in her late 30s (and pregnant, although not heavily) when she learnt to ride a bike. Whilst she's not hugely confident, we know quite a number of 100% car-free cycle routes locally, where we as a family (all 6 of us) can go have a ride, and we couldn't do that if she hadn't learnt.

TallTree01 said:
When starting out the chances are you will fall off many times so be prepared for that...

Helmet, elbow pads, knee pads and shin guards? I won't be able to move lol
SO19Firearms said:

IMO

Well...that's another story lol i'm just kidding I can swim just not been swimming for years. 
the_lock_man said:
Ny, my missus was in her late 30s (and pregnant, although not heavily) when she learnt to ride a bike. Whilst she's not hugely confident, we know quite a number of 100% car-free cycle routes locally, where we as a family (all 6 of us) can go have a ride, and we couldn't do that if she hadn't learnt.

Aww well done her! Did it take her long? Was she able to balance straight away? I would love for me and my girl to go somewhere  where she can be safe on her bike too and build up her confidence. 

Ny82 said:

Aww well done her! Did it take her long? Was she able to balance straight away? I would love for me and my girl to go somewhere  where she can be safe on her bike too and build up her confidence. 

Not particularly, no. I treated it just like I'd treated the kids, but she, being adult, picked it up a lot quicker. It's the same set of reactions that you use if you walk along any sort of balance beam, it's being able to interpret what the balance organ in your ears is telling your brain quickly enough. As an adult, you are better at doing so than a 5yo.

SO19Firearms said:

IMO

I agree with this...  probably because I never learned to ride a bike either.

If it were me Nylah.... first of all it would have to be something I really wanted to do and not pushed in to... 

I would beg steal or borrow a bike and find somewhere Quiet and teach myself  at my pace and in my own time. ;)

Have you watched that episode of 'friends' with phoebe? :D

Yes. Several thousand times. *shudders*

the_lock_man said:
Yes. Several thousand times. *shudders*

I don't know that I'd admit that publicly.  
unsure.png

the_lock_man said:

Not particularly, no. I treated it just like I'd treated the kids, but she, being adult, picked it up a lot quicker. It's the same set of reactions that you use if you walk along any sort of balance beam, it's being able to interpret what the balance organ in your ears is telling your brain quickly enough. As an adult, you are better at doing so than a 5yo.

Ah that's interesting. Obviously i'm not expecting just to sit on it and away I go into the sunset-that's not going to happen!

eaglesaquarium said:

IMO

I agree with this...  probably because I never learned to ride a bike either.

Oh i'm not the only one! Like I said earlier, it's never bothered me until now. Are you bothered about it?

>pete< said:
If it were me Nylah.... first of all it would have to be something I really wanted to do and not pushed in to... 

I would beg steal or borrow a bike and find somewhere Quiet and teach myself  at my pace and in my own time.
wink.png

It bothers me now for 2 reasons. First it's like i'm being ridiculed because I wasn't taught this life skill of riding a bike and 2nd because of my daughter. I will pick up a cheap bike. Where I stay is a huge hill, I see my girl go flying down it laughing her head off and I just walk thinking that does look like fun!

Shelster said:
Have you watched that episode of 'friends' with phoebe?
biggrin.png

No! I haven't lol 

I'm not bothered a bit about it, honestly.

Do I ever wish I could ride a bike?  I guess every so often that notion has crept into my head, but 99.99% of the time, I couldn't care less.  My wife is going to teach my son how to ride a bike.  

I know some people talk about the long rides, etc.  If I want a long ride, I drive - and then I stop somewhere and enjoy the place I am.  And I don't have to worry about being tired, sweaty, or wet (rain).  If I want a shorter ride, I walk.  Then I can really enjoy the scenery around me.  

I know how to fly a glider though, so maybe that makes up for it!  I don't really care about not being able to to ride a bike though.  It mattered when I was a kid, but not anymore.

I love driving. That's what I do, my mates and I go out when it's a nice day and go for a drive along a scenic route. It's brilliant, driving in convoy there's nothing like it! 
Then, there's the issue of riding a bike which has been bugging me for the past few weeks now lol. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back