FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meeresstille said:
I'm clicking the imaginary "Like" button  
smile.png

Just imagine us cheering you on! 
yes.gif

:lol:

Ride like the wind and for the love of god wear your helmet!

Thanks everyone. I will update this as I start to learn. Like a progress thing. 

TT-I don't mind getting helmet hair in the name of safety! I can't stand people riding bikes without helmets. 

Just read through this topic, and all I can say is I am glad you have decided to learn, you will not regret it...

On Sunday I went for a bike ride with my brother (came to visit), sister and nephew (yes, the gravel washer 11 y/o).  We rode to ...

...yes you have guessed it my LFS to buy a fountain for the garden, no fish this time.  We then sat on a grass bank at the garden centre and ate our tuna/red onion wraps and drank fresh orange in the sunshine, it was a lovely ride, enjoyed by all.  My brother rode my bike (more later), my nephew rode a friends bike (even though I have bought him a Raleigh Racing bike) and guess what?  The answer to all your problems Ny, I was the Captain, and my sister was the Stoker, on the recent edition to my bike family ...

">http://
Tandem_original_zps92d8934d.jpg

I bought the above with a friend via e-bay and won it in the last 30 seconds of the auction (having lost others).  She mentioned she could no longer keep up with me so I said for a joke, lets get a tandem.  When people say they have seen us on it, I usually reply with "were we laughing" and the answer is a resounding "yes".  It has been a laugh a minute and my friend had the biggest laugh when I fell off it!  I have fallen off it twice and both times it was stationery!  The second time, my friend split her sides laughing and I actually hurt myself but nothing major, although to be honest it was very funny.  I was not holding the handle bars and she was unloading the panniers of her stuff stating that my plants had fallen over in the pannier, I turned to look and the tandem went into a spin, I could not stop it from doing a circle on its own and in the end landed on my helmet, which is now grazed, bruised my knee and bent back my small finger.  She said if she had not sat on her wall she may well have had an accident, and just could not stop laughing.  After, I got up from being under the tandem and the pain began to cease I too was in hysterics and we still laugh about it today.  This is not to put you off at all, as I was stationery and tandems can have a mind of their own!  

A tandem behaves very differently to a normal bike but it is a great way for someone to get the feel of being on a bike and balancing.  Using an experienced cyclist, which believe it or not I am, at the front (the Captain), the learner can then ride on the back (the Stoker).  It is a different experience as you must fully trust the front rider as the rear rider does not steer or change gear or brake!  As I was hurtling towards some bollards one time my friend shouted from the back, which one are we going through, I replied "does it really matter as you are following me anyway", followed by another bout of laughter.  We have done nothing but laugh since we have got this Tandem, and have spent about another £100 changing the rear saddle/stem for her (the Stoker), and the handlebars/stem for me (the Captain).  Our friends think it is a hoot.

In respect to normal cycling I have just replaced the gearing and chain on mine having now done over 2000 miles since fitting a bike computer to it.  I can drive but choose not to, and do everything by bike.  Last year I bought a bike trailer as well, and do all my shopping with this, and am a regular visitor to my LFS via the bike.

So see Ny if you can find anyone locally with a Tandem, or a Tandem Club that may assist you on your mission.  We all look forward to hearing more re: your cycling journey, may you continue to journal it for us all.  I look forward mostly, to you sharing a ride with your daughter, eating homemade sandwiches and drinking a cool drink on a sunny day.

Aww thanks RCA that did make me laugh. I used to say to my other half that he should buy a tandem so he can cycle and I would sit there and try and balance. What a laugh we had about it. 
I am looking for a bike, no point buying a brand new carrera bike like my other half did at £300
blink.png
  he can ride one I can't. A cheap £50 2nd hand one from gumtree will do me fine to crash on. If the paintwork gets scratched then it's ok.

I will take the opportunity here to vent about my car since I can't put it anywhere else. It is probably going to sound really stupid but once again-whatever :p

I have owned my car for the past 4 years. I wouldn't have met the amazing people I have if it wasn't for my car. It was the super rare 16v cupra only 45 left but it came to the point where the bodywork was just past it and the arches had to be taped for the mot. So on tuesday I sold my pride and joy. I did cry, I also said to the guy who bought it that he better look after it and not run it into the ground or I will hunt him down. 

Goodbye my boy 
sad1.gif

03599728-a7e1-4a83-9682-582a8530de4e_zps952f2477.jpg

I miss him terribly. I loved that car, but it wasn't financially feasible to fix it.
So the plan was I would wait a while and get some more money together, buy something newer and a lower engine. The cupra was a 2L 16v I was averaging about 15 MPG. 
I saw a car yesterday and ended up coming back with it 
rolleyes.gif
 this is my "new" car

DSC01741_zps7dae5d38.jpg

I know, it totally defeated the purpose, I love vw/seat and the golf GTI is just such an iconic car. I couldn't say no 
tongue2.gif
 I had the 1989 mk2 golf GTI 8v-what a car, loved it. I couldn't justify going that old so got the mk3 instead. 
I have to admit I am not feeling it just yet I just miss my other car like crazy. Now that that's sorted, the bike hunt can begin. 

I'd take that car back.  The steering wheel is on the wrong side!!! :p

It's on the right side 
rolleyes.gif

You crazy UK folks don't drive on the right side.

at least our steering wheels on the right side haha

Ok. Your steering wheels are on the "right" side, but we drive on the "right" side. :p

Yeah so there we go, 1 out of 2 aint bad for both of us :p

eaglesaquarium said:
Ok. Your steering wheels are on the "right" side, but we drive on the "right" side.
tongue2.gif
That's because you're just weird, Eagles! UK and Oz have got it correct (was going to say right, but thought it might confuse the issue! lol)

Mamashack said:
Ok. Your steering wheels are on the "right" side, but we drive on the "right" side. :p
That's because you're just weird, Eagles! UK and Oz have got it correct (was going to say right, but thought it might confuse the issue! lol)
That's right. Oz has for it correct..... In everything. :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back