What's The Big Deal Anyway?

Mamashak trust you to come in and confuse everyone even more haha :p

TT I can't keep up with you playing musical avatars! Everytime I look it's different!

Anything's got to be better than that demented snail zooming off every 5 seconds! You'd think the poor thing would be dizzy by now!

Mamashack said:
Anything's got to be better than that demented snail zooming off every 5 seconds! You'd think the poor thing would be dizzy by now!
Well you'd think so wouldn't you?
But alas, he is still pocketing my rocket fuel and using it to fuel his adventures ;) .

So I have been looking online for a bike. There are so many options. Mountain bike, road bike, city bike, hybrid bike-what am I actually looking for? 
I would need to re-evaluate the size as well. I went into halfrauds and they sat me on a bike that I felt was massive I could hardly reach the ground and was wobbling while stationary. My inside leg is 28" I am 5'5. It was ridiculously big but he insisted it was the right height 
evilmad.gif

Go for a hybrid bike as these are easier to use and you get the best of both worlds.  Avoid a mountain bike as the tyres are too thick and it is like pedaling through glue as the tyres "stick" to the road, rather than glide.  Also, aim to get a bike with 700c wheels as this makes pedaling a lot easier, as you go further for each pedal revolution.  I would also tend to go for less gears than most bikes as you would probably not need them, so aim for a single gear mechanism of up to about eight gears.

I do not like the bikes from the big chain stores as they tend to have cheap components and therefore if anything breaks it can cost more than a better bike generally speaking.  I have what is called a Comfort Bike, which keeps me in an upright position avoiding any back strain.  It is made by Haro (famous for BMX) and I can honestly say it is the best bike I have ever owned.  My friends have both bought one and love theirs equally as much.  This is similar to mine, although mine is now kitted out with mud guards, pannier racks, bar bag and a trailer (when needed).  I go everywhere on it and do all the shopping with it.  Alas, sadly these bikes are no longer available which is a darn shame.  Also, I would recommend a step-through, which looks like the second image in here, which also shows the whole range of these lovely bikes.

Claude Butler do a nice bike, but to be honest it depends on your budget?  Best thing is to go to an independent cycle store as you tend to get better overall service.  Make sure you sit on any bike you are planning to purchase and that you feel comfortable on it.  Once I had sat on the Haro Heartland Express nothing else ever matched it.  People who have had a go on my bike cannot believe how smooth it is and so easy to ride.  The shop I got my bike from fit everything for free and fine tune it as and when I need it.  Other chain stores wanted £5 to fit a mirror, so I do not buy from the large chain stores but use my regular independent store.

If you find a bike you like then come back and tell us make and model and we can advise prior to purchase.  Also, have you looked on Gumtree?

Any further questions, feel free to fire away :)

Ny82 said:
So I have been looking online for a bike. There are so many options. Mountain bike, road bike, city bike, hybrid bike-what am I actually looking for? 
I would need to re-evaluate the size as well. I went into halfrauds and they sat me on a bike that I felt was massive I could hardly reach the ground and was wobbling while stationary. My inside leg is 28" I am 5'5. It was ridiculously big but he insisted it was the right height 
evilmad.gif
Is there an Evans Cycles near you? They tend to be quite good. Unfortunately your foot should barely reach the ground when you're sat in the saddle - tip toe maybe - as otherwise you will hurt your knees very quickly, and it will also take far more effort to pedal forwards. I'm guilty of having my saddle a fraction lower than it should be for security's sake, but I still need to tip the bike to the side to put my foot down.

You will be able to adjust the saddle anyway. The main thing is that the frame suits you - the distance of your reach to the handlebars, and if like me you ride a mens bike with a higher crossbar, is there enough, ahem, crotch clearance so that you can stand with the bike between your legs without it bashing any sensitive bits! 

What I would do if I were you is go in to an evans or even halfords, try out a few bikes, see what size suits you best, then go onto ebay. I've always bought bikes new but have sold all but the one I have now on ebay.

I echo what RCA said with regard to bike types. Though I would suggest if you live in an even vaguely hilly area, you go for a double chainset (I think most bikes these days would come with a triple or at least a compact/double). This means you will have two big chain rings where the pedals are, plus the little cassette with 8-10 options on the back wheel - you should have something for almost all gradients there.

I woke up at 4am this morning with a gurgling stomach and a mad desire to go for an early morning bike ride.
So I tiptoed downstairs, threw on some clothes and got hubby's bike out of the garage.  I cycled to the local beauty spot, a small lake in the woods.  The water was steaming off the lake and the sunlight was touching the treetops.

It was probably very beautiful but I just felt awful.  I was out of breath, felt like my heart was going to explode.  Damn I knew I needed exercise but I didn't realise I was that unfit!

Then I realised what was wrong.  I'd caught my toddler's vomiting bug!  That explained the gurgling stomach :p

So I ended up retching in the trees a mile from home on a beautiful summer's morning.  Then on the way home the pedal fell off hubby's bike and I had to keep stopping to fix it back on.  Stupid bikes!

I bet you really wanted to hear that story! :p

Seriously, I am going to go shopping for a new bike for myself too.  Tired of hubby's bike falling apart!

Lol. My old bikes handle bars were very loose and I still had 6 kilometers to get home! I had to ride there with no handles! :eek:

daizeUK said:
I woke up at 4am this morning with a gurgling stomach and a mad desire to go for an early morning bike ride.
So I tiptoed downstairs, threw on some clothes and got hubby's bike out of the garage.  I cycled to the local beauty spot, a small lake in the woods.  The water was steaming off the lake and the sunlight was touching the treetops.

It was probably very beautiful but I just felt awful.  I was out of breath, felt like my heart was going to explode.  darn I knew I needed exercise but I didn't realise I was that unfit!

Then I realised what was wrong.  I'd caught my toddler's vomiting bug!  That explained the gurgling stomach
tongue2.gif

So I ended up retching in the trees a mile from home on a beautiful summer's morning.  Then on the way home the pedal fell off hubby's bike and I had to keep stopping to fix it back on.  Stupid bikes!

I bet you really wanted to hear that story!
tongue2.gif

Seriously, I am going to go shopping for a new bike for myself too.  Tired of hubby's bike falling apart!
Your story started off beautifully Daize and I could just picture you, wishing you had a camera to capture that moment, and THEN!

As with Ny82 keep us posted on your potential purchase and we will advise you prior to spending your £'s.

TallTree01 said:
Lol. My old bikes handle bars were very loose and I still had 6 kilometers to get home! I had to ride there with no handles!
ohmy.png
I can ride non-handed too but choose not too these days, although do it now and again to impress the nephew ;)

Had a similar experience shortly after obtaining the Tandem, went round a round-about with the Nephew on the back when he shouts "Stop Auntie ...", I pulled over to find he had the rear handlebars in his hands, no longer attached to the Tandem!  That will make up for the fact he puts his feet on the back rack and does not contribute to the pedaling, hmmm maybe something sharp needs to go on there 
laugh.png

My husband nearly wet himself laughing when he woke up this morning and I told him what happened.  Then he gave me a right rollicking for going off in the middle of the night without telling anyone! :lol:
Ugh I feel horrible

Aw bless you.  Next time just leave a note and take your mobile, and maybe a sick bag and some toilet roll ;)  Hopefully that will appease him ...at least he cares.

Hope you feel better soon Daize! Was a funny story tho! lol

Daize, hopefully it's the short-lived kind of stomach bug and you can go bike shopping soon! Your story, TallTree's and RCA's made my morning though, it's great when you can start the day with a laugh! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back