What's The Big Deal Anyway?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Why is it bothering you?  Answering that question will determine whether or not you need to take the plunge and learn.  

I don't want to be a disappointment to my girl. I don't want her laughing at me. I don't want to be left out when her and her dad go riding their bikes and I can't go because I can't ride a bike. If I wasn't a parent it probably wouldn't bother me. 

Then there's your answer.  You need to learn for all the reasons you just described.  Its obviously important to you.  You can do it, it will just take a bit of time and practice.  It doesn't matter what other people think, it only matters what you think, and you obviously feel like you'd be missing out if you didn't learn.  Go do it, and post up a quick vid and link it here when you do!  
good.gif

If I wasn't a parent it probably wouldn't bother me.

That's what called love....One would go out of their way to please the subject of their love :)

eaglesaquarium said:
Then there's your answer.  You need to learn for all the reasons you just described.  Its obviously important to you.  You can do it, it will just take a bit of time and practice.  It doesn't matter what other people think, it only matters what you think, and you obviously feel like you'd be missing out if you didn't learn.  Go do it, and post up a quick vid and link it here when you do!  
good.gif
Thanks. Oh could you imagine, I would feel so proud!

snazy said:

That's what called love....One would go out of their way to please the subject of their love
smile.png

Exactly. I just don't want her to think i'm a failure.

Ny82 said:
good.gif
Thanks. Oh could you imagine, I would feel so proud!

snazy said:

That's what called love....One would go out of their way to please the subject of their love
smile.png

Exactly. I just don't want her to think i'm a failure.

You're only a failure if you quit trying.  You can teach her persistence, etc. by having both of you learn together... it might even maker her feel better about her own struggles.

This indeed is true. We can motivate each other even though she's 3 and all she wants is to go faster 
rolleyes.gif

Ny82 said:
I have never needed to so no. We went to an outdoors shop yesterday and they have a test area for bikes and scooters. My daughter and I were going lying on the scooters! It makes you feel like a child again. I was really wanting to go on the bike but didn't in case I fell.
Go back to this place next time your girl is at nursery - ask them for advice and a test ride. Most cyclists can be quite evangelical about cycling and welcome any opportunity to encourage new people to the hobby!

Yes, you may well fall off. So what, everyone does! Especially if you ever decide to go 'clipless' and have your feet attached to the pedals so you can't put a foot down to stop yourself tipping over - I've had many comedic slo-mo falls that way :D

If you're worried about hurting yourself, wear pads and protection etc, but don't let a fear of falling stop you - it's not far to fall.

Balance is the main skill, and I'll bet you've got tons of natural balance having been a gymnast. I found it really was quite instinctive to learn.

Go for it...

The only difference there is between you learning to ride a bike as a kid and learning to ride a bike as an adult is all the hang ups and fear of failure that you have as an adult.

As I kid, you don't think twice, you just do it! As adults, people spend to much time worrying about not getting it right or failing and in worrying so much, the only thing you fail to do is live your life and enjoy it as it happens.

Get out there and learn to ride a bike, you know inside you want to do it and have listed more reasons as to why you want to learn that why you do not.

Can't remember who wrote it as it's been so long but my dad got sick of me being the same and made me read a book called 'Feel the fear and do it anyway', was a good book :)

MBOU said:
The only difference there is between you learning to ride a bike as a kid and learning to ride a bike as an adult is all the hang ups and fear of failure that you have as an adult.

As I kid, you don't think twice, you just do it! As adults, people spend to much time worrying about not getting it right or failing and in worrying so much, the only thing you fail to do is live your life and enjoy it as it happens.

Get out there and learn to ride a bike, you know inside you want to do it and have listed more reasons as to why you want to learn that why you do not.

Can't remember who wrote it as it's been so long but my dad got sick of me being the same and made me read a book called 'Feel the fear and do it anyway', was a good book
smile.png

*Likes*  :)

MBOU said:

Can't remember who wrote it as it's been so long but my dad got sick of me being the same and made me read a book called 'Feel the fear and do it anyway', was a good book
smile.png
I have that book - it's by Susan Jeffers and is very good.
Don't worry about what other people think, Ny, if you fall it's not the end of the world and no-one is going to suffer from your actions. Your ego and rump might get bruised but that's as bad as it gets!

Thanks guys, I am going to do it. I am going to learn how to ride a bike. It's been too long and now I have a reason to learn. I shouldn't care what people think i've done so many stupid things hahaha!

In Australia I find it is kind of a given.... I've never met anyone who didn't know how to ride a bike over the age of 9-10 .

Ny82 said:
Thanks guys, I am going to do it. I am going to learn how to ride a bike. It's been too long and now I have a reason to learn. I shouldn't care what people think i've done so many stupid things hahaha!

Yeah...Go Nylah  :)

I'm clicking the imaginary "Like" button  :)  
Just imagine us cheering you on! 
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back