What's The Big Deal Anyway?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Learning to ride a bike is almost a rite of passage.
I've just bought a bike after not riding one for 25+ years & it's true, you never forget how.
It's good exercise & I'd recommend it to anyone thinking about it, even if it's just for short trips to the shop

If you haven't learned to ride one in the first place I think it would be a different story. Driving is the same though-you get a sense of freedom with that too.
Shel-I would love that, me and her going bike riding along country paths. It's the initial step I need to take though, it seems to be the biggest hurdle. 

Ny82 said:
I actually know what would happen. I would buy a bike with the intentions of learning, then get frustrated that I can't do it because lets face it, nobody had time to teach me back then, who has time to teach me now? We all do our own thing. The bike would get put in the shed and never looked at again. 
How easy/difficult would it be for someone like me, who's never been on a bike before, to learn?

That pic was taken a few weeks ago. I am in my 30's 
blink.png

blush.png
 that's too old to learn to ride a bike, I am just like why? What's the point?
Never too old.

I only occasionally rode a bike when I was a child, probably less than a dozen times for about 50m a time! I started cycling 5 years ago at the age of 31 when I decided to do a long distance triathlon. I love it (but do hate a lot of the drivers that try and kill me on a daily basis). It keeps me fit, means I don't need to have a car so I save money, plus thanks to going straight to the pub after work and the stables each evening whilst wearing cycling shorts and a hi viz jacket, I no longer have any vanity left :D

I used to cycle 30 miles a day from home to work to horse to home until I moved nearer.

I have my bus pass & have just taken up cycling again, so if I can do it after so many years not doing it then you certainly can, if you keep making excuses then you'll never do it

Have you tried to get on one? I have always wondered if an adult would innately know how to balance on a bike if never taught to as a child. After adulthood we are used to our bodies and own center of gravity. I would bet that it would be easier than you think.

you should learn to ride one mainly because there a great from of transportation, im planning on biking down to the most southen point of england in the summer, just  for the hell of it 

and my ex never knew how to ride one 

My daughter (22 yrs old) can ride a bike but she is terrible on it, fallen many times, even once fainted as a girl going on a small bicycle ride during a family outing. Me, I much rather walk than use a bicycle even though I have no problems on bicycles. 

I would say to you though, don't let fear hold you back. Allow yourself the experience and if it is not for you, then that's OK too! 
good.gif

stanleo said:
Have you tried to get on one? I have always wondered if an adult would innately know how to balance on a bike if never taught to as a child. After adulthood we are used to our bodies and own center of gravity. I would bet that it would be easier than you think.
I have never needed to so no. We went to an outdoors shop yesterday and they have a test area for bikes and scooters. My daughter and I were going lying on the scooters! It makes you feel like a child again. I was really wanting to go on the bike but didn't in case I fell.

mike455555 said:
you should learn to ride one mainly because there a great from of transportation, im planning on biking down to the most southen point of england in the summer, just  for the hell of it 

and my ex never knew how to ride one 

I am glad I am not the only one!

tcamos said:
Never too late to learn.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=450580681683851&set=a.301060533302534.62033.301030083305579&type=1&theater
It's a useful skill to have even if it's just to spend time riding with your little ones. They find it quite fun and that fun just increases when mum does it with them.

That's really nice of them :)

Meeresstille said:
My daughter (22 yrs old) can ride a bike but she is terrible on it, fallen many times, even once fainted as a girl going on a small bicycle ride during a family outing. Me, I much rather walk than use a bicycle even though I have no problems on bicycles. 

I would say to you though, don't let fear hold you back. Allow yourself the experience and if it is not for you, then that's OK too! 
good.gif
Thanks, it's a lot to think about.

Just want to thank everyone for the positive comments. I wish I would have learned before now. The only reason it's bothering me now is because of my 3 year old. I don't want her to be a lazy child in front of the tv all day. I had an active childhood and want her to have the same. I just think it would make a difference if I could do it with her. 

That's an awful thing to say! My friend and I are doing race for life which is for breast cancer uk. 

If you want to give it a go from scratch, try this.

1. Sit on the bike (adjusted properly for your height and leg length) and keep your 'off' foot on the floor.  Use your 'working' foot to practice moving the pedal backward in a circle.  You need to move the pedal to a position near the top so that your foot is as high as you can get it while resting securely on the pedal.
2. Make sure the bike is upright not leaning to one side, hands on the handlebars, looking straight ahead.
3. Push down on the pedal from the top to the bottom so that the bike moves forwards a short way.  Don't try to go too slowly or too fast.  Leave your 'off' foot trailing a few inches above the floor ready to put down if you start to wobble.  Don't try to turn the pedals further yet, just concentrate on keeping your balance.

The aim is to practice moving forward in a straight line and see how far you can go without putting your foot on the floor.  As you get used to balancing you can bring your 'off'  foot on to the pedal and start to cycle further.

My five year old is struggling to ride a bike and this is the technique we are using to help him gain confidence, with great success so far :)

Edit - oh, and when you brake, use the left brake not the right one to start with!  That's how I broke my arm :blush:

Thanks Daize, you make it sound so simple. That's a great technique to use for your little one.  I am really wanting to try it now. I was looking at balance bikes for my little one, the concept is they push themselves along then lift their feet up when they feel more confident, they lift their feet up and free wheel and they can balance. It helps them ride a bike without the stabilisers stage. I don't know about the pedals though because balance bikes don't have any. So how would they know to pedal? 

Take a video of your first go on a bike, would be great! ( possibility of winning big bucks if you have ' funniest home videos ' show in uk. ;) )

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back