What's Dwarf Gourami Health Like These Days?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I know they have problems with dwarf gourami disease. Is this still as common? Anyone got any recent experience?

I'd like to hear opinions on this, too. I'll be stocking a new tank over the next month or two, and I'm hoping to put one dwarf in it.

Me three! I'd also like to know exactly what it is, what to look out for and if there's any way to prevent it. I heard you can't really cure it :(

Can anyone help us out here?

Can anyone help us out here?

this probably isnt the answer anyone is looking for but i believe the whole "dwarf gouramis aren't hardy" theory is a myth. People almost always either stock more than one male in their tank or they put the dwarf in with bigger fish. this obviously causes stress which leads to a lot of early deaths. ive had nothing but good experiences with dwarf gouramis because i always keep them singly as the biggest fish in the tank.

this probably isnt the answer anyone is looking for but i believe the whole "dwarf gouramis aren't hardy" theory is a myth. People almost always either stock more than one male in their tank or they put the dwarf in with bigger fish. this obviously causes stress which leads to a lot of early deaths. ive had nothing but good experiences with dwarf gouramis because i always keep them singly as the biggest fish in the tank.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I'm planning on having one male Dwarf Gourami, and it will likely be the biggest fish in my tank (unless Zebras, Guppies, or Neon Tetras would get big enough to bully). So hopefully I will have a good experience.

That's actually just the answer I was looking for :) I am planning on keeping it alone with cories and endlers. My slight worry is that the endlers might become a snack?

Lol yes I'm happy with that too as I'm the same. I'll have one DG and my other fish will be male Platys, Harlequins and Pygmy Corys.

Thanks for your help.

you dont see very many healthy ones in stores these days
and they do have high mortality
just keep chemistry right and they should thrive

That's actually just the answer I was looking for :) I am planning on keeping it alone with cories and endlers. My slight worry is that the endlers might become a snack?

ah, thats nice, i was expecting to debate :lol:

i have never kept endlers but i think they're quick enough to avoid possible aggression. my dwarf gourami actually goes after corys more than anything else, which is pretty unusual. never to the point of major concern though.

the only aggression ive seen from my dwarf gouramis has been nothing but quick nips. he never chases smaller fish, just declares his dominance... once they swim away the conflict is done with. when the DG builds a nest and wants to mate the aggression might increase a bit but still never to the point of death or even noticeable injury. a well planted tank with lots of hiding is ideal. not only for the smaller fish, but for the gourami as well. hope this helps :good:

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest. I think I'm going to get 1 male dwarf and quarantine him in the 5 gall for a good few weeks.
In the meantime, I can get the main tank setup (with plenty of plants) and some cories in there.
Then eventually, put them all together :good: That's going to be a lot of water changes for a while!

I'm hoping to get a female DG (if I can find a nice one) which I hope will eliminate any agressions probs.

I'm very naughty as I don't have a quarentine tank, I'm just going to hope for the best.

I've never had one as I've never really had a community tank, just bettas and endlers and a few shrimp. Trying to do it 'properly' now though :)

Working in the trade, i see a LOT of Dwarf Gouramis and these have gone from being one of my favourite species to one of my least favourite due to the stress and hassle and death!

All gouramis i get come in from reputable suppliers and are in good health but the stress of the shipment i dare say doesnt help but whether it is a day or a month, you generally always see problems in all the colours.

Frankly, im sick of the species, if it isnt one thing it is another, bacterial and fungal infections often around the mouth and pectoral fins, sunken eyes and bloatedness of iridovirus...

I have fallen in love with Honey Gouramis and Thick Lipped Gouramis, You can get Thick Lips in the same colours as the Dwarf Gouramis and they get to the same size but have none of the same health problems. Personally i prefer the golden honey gouramis, i have a group of them and they are cute as anything! They are more active than the dwarves and less finnicky!

If i was going to sell a dwarf gourami to anyone, i wouldnt sell them to anyone with a tank under 6-8 months mature and with good filtration, id even be tempted to ask if they minded me doing a water test to check... thats how little faith i have in the general health of dwarf gouramis...

Thanks for the information, MBOU. I will definitely consider other types of Gourami in addition to the Dwarf, since I only plan on having one in the tank. I like some of the pics I have seen of the Pearl Gourami.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back