What's Dwarf Gourami Health Like These Days?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The pearl Gouramis are gorgeous!! I have a pair in a planted tank with everything from kribs and corys to rummynose and hatchetfish :)

They are easy to sex and do great as a pair :)

I was thinking of adding a dwarf gourami to my tank now I'm having second thoughts. Can you suggest any other smaller and hardier gourami species suitable for a 110L?

Loads of alternatives :)

Red Honey Gouramis
Yellow Honey Gouramis
Orange Thicklipped Gouramis
Banded Thicklipped Gouramis
Pearl Gouramis
Moonlight Gouramis might grow a little large...
Sparkling Gouramis

And if you feel brave... there is always Paradise fish!! they can be narky lil beggers though

Thanks for all your help with this. I looked at some Golden Honeies today and they're lovely. I will definitely be up for getting one as long as just a few things:

1. Do they grow any bigger then Dwarfs?

2. Can I keep just one?

3. Are they usually passive like Dwarfs or are they like some other Gouramis?

i have never kept endlers but i think they're quick enough to avoid possible aggression. my dwarf gourami actually goes after corys more than anything else, which is pretty unusual. never to the point of major concern though.
Mine too! He likes the shrimp pellets I feed them so sometimes he'll go down to the bottom and bully the corys out of the way to get them.

I have had a lot of these little guys over the past 5 or 6 years. Two of them lived a year plus, all the rest died fairly quickly. I don't think they are very hardy. I have one now that was doing fantastic for 6 months, he even built nests regularly, but he seems to be developing dropsy now :(

Thanks for all your help with this. I looked at some Golden Honeies today and they're lovely. I will definitely be up for getting one as long as just a few things:

1. Do they grow any bigger then Dwarfs?

2. Can I keep just one?

3. Are they usually passive like Dwarfs or are they like some other Gouramis?

1.around the same size... slightly smaller than dwarfs

2.yes

3.they are one of the least aggressive gouramis... even more so than dwarfs

Thank you! Sold :)

Is it the same deal with the females as the others? Mostly silver?

With wild coloured honeys the females are silvery beige, but with the yellow ones, the females are yellow too. It can be hard to tell the sexes with this colour, but any fish with a hint of a stripe from nose to tail is more likely to be a female. But that doesn't mean that fish without it are males, as some females don't have a stripe, just to make it awkward.

With wild coloured honeys the females are silvery beige, but with the yellow ones, the females are yellow too. It can be hard to tell the sexes with this colour, but any fish with a hint of a stripe from nose to tail is more likely to be a female. But that doesn't mean that fish without it are males, as some females don't have a stripe, just to make it awkward.

Lol thanks. Not that having an male would be an issue coz I'd only have one it's just I really want to call he Scarlett and I don't want a male to be picked on by the others for having a girl's name! :lol:

Honey Gouramis dont getr nearly as big as Dwarf Gouramis and their temperment is MUCH calmer, they are easy to sex, i would get a pair if you can... the females are a little bigger, fatter and much paler than the males, the tail on the males will have a red tinge to it and just you wait until your male colours up!! stunning!!

Honey Gouramis dont getr nearly as big as Dwarf Gouramis and their temperment is MUCH calmer, they are easy to sex, i would get a pair if you can... the females are a little bigger, fatter and much paler than the males, the tail on the males will have a red tinge to it and just you wait until your male colours up!! stunning!!

lol easier to sex? if you cant sex dwarf gouramis you must be blind. :p

I can't tell the difference with any of them. I can't see how the male's fin is more pointed. I can only tell with the colours.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back