Dwarf Red flame gourami isn't well help

Crafty Nana

New Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2026
Messages
25
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Location
US
I have a dwarf flame gourami that is not acting normal. He has been hovering underneath of a spout and it has not acted his normal feisty self and his stomach looks distended. He seemed to want to eat this morning, so I'm not sure that anything's going on but I know that he's not his normal self. I have a picture attached that I think you can tell how his stomach looks distended. Can someone give me some pointers on what could be going on?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2879.webp
    IMG_2879.webp
    89.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2885.webp
    IMG_2885.webp
    255.9 KB · Views: 108
Is it equally distended on both sides, or just the side shown? If just the one side it could be a tumor. If both sides it could be bloat.
Have you checked water parameters?
 
Is it equally distended on both sides, or just the side shown? If just the one side it could be a tumor. If both sides it could be bloat.
Have you checked water parameters?
It appears to be equal on both sides and yes, my water is it's fine and I don't see any other signs of it on any of the other fish if it's a bloat what can I do about it and how did they get it?
 
Here is a good picture of the back view where you can see both sides
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2889.webp
    IMG_2889.webp
    81.8 KB · Views: 69
Is it equally distended on both sides, or just the side shown? If just the one side it could be a tumor. If both sides it could be bloat.
Have you checked water parameters?
I just posted a new picture and it shows him from the back view so you can see both sides
 
Causes for bloat can be poor water quality, overfeeding or tumor. If the water parameters are good then when was the last time he ate?

What size is the tank and what are the other inhabitants? I would still do a severe (60-80%) water change and not feed the tank anything but shelled peas; cut up or mashed, for a couple (2-4) days and see if there is any improvement. Of course continue with smaller 30% water changes and if you have any almond leaves, they would be beneficial.

Additionally you can give him an Epsom soak to see if that provides some relief. Take some tank water and in a separate container dissolve 1-2 tablespoons per 5 gallons and soak him for 15-20 min.

Dwarf gouramis suffer from issues due to inbreeding, living in poor water quality and being gluttons to the point of eating themselves to death. One bonus is that he doesn't look like he is pineconning, so no signs of organ failure.
 
Are you by chance feeding freeze-dried bloodworms or f-d tubifex?
 
Causes for bloat can be poor water quality, overfeeding or tumor. If the water parameters are good then when was the last time he ate?

What size is the tank and what are the other inhabitants? I would still do a severe (60-80%) water change and not feed the tank anything but shelled peas; cut up or mashed, for a couple (2-4) days and see if there is any improvement. Of course continue with smaller 30% water changes and if you have any almond leaves, they would be beneficial.

Additionally you can give him an Epsom soak to see if that provides some relief. Take some tank water and in a separate container dissolve 1-2 tablespoons per 5 gallons and soak him for 15-20 min.

Dwarf gouramis suffer from issues due to inbreeding, living in poor water quality and being gluttons to the point of eating themselves to death. One bonus is that he doesn't look like he is pineconning, so no signs of organ failure.
I'm not familiar with pineconning what is that? I will try the Epsom salt bath so that sounds. Like a good treatment. I forgot about the shell peas thing. I'll try that too. I tried that with another fish that was having problems and they do like them. Good suggestions and I'm gonna give it a try. The water quality is fine. There's nothing wrong with the water and I don't feed. I just feed them once a day at night and I don't overfeed him. Yeah I used to manage a pet shop so I really aware of that but thank you for reminding me, I don't see my second picture posted so I'm going to post it again on this link so that you guys can see a better picture of what it looks like on both sides of his stomach
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2889.webp
    IMG_2889.webp
    81.8 KB · Views: 55
He's in a 75 gallon breeder tank with other Gouramis, corydoras, Apple snail some tetras and a LG eater and a couple of bristle nose plecos. I got two sponge filters and a Vevo tank filter running in it. It's planted with live veg and I've got UV light going in it. I mostly feed them flake food, bug bites, Spirulina , silk worm, krill wafers, tetra color granules, freeze dried brine, shrimp. They get a treat every once in a while of freeze dried seaweed strips. I watched my fish while they eat. I have never seen him like gorge himself so I am not sure that that is a problem, but I'm not any kind of a doctor to analyze it either. His color is good. He swims around not a lot, but he does swim around. He kind of hovers around the waterfall that I have coming out of the big filter. Here's a picture of my whole tank.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2891.webp
    IMG_2891.webp
    245.5 KB · Views: 105
Pineconning is when fish is so swollen that the scales just out like a pine cone.

Does he fight with the other gouramis?
 
"Additionally you can give him an Epsom soak to see if that provides some relief. Take some tank water and in a separate container dissolve 1-2 tablespoons per 5 gallons and soak him for 15-20 min"

How often should I do this Epson soak?
 
You can do it daily until he shows any positive (or negative) reactions. Negative would be stress from catching him on both your and his part, lol .
 
Pineconning is when fish is so swollen that the scales just out like a pine cone.

Does he fight with the other gouramis?
No, he's not fighting with the other Gourami. He's mostly just docile. He sits underneath of that waterfall most of the time and just.
 
You can do it daily until he shows any positive (or negative) reactions. Negative would be stress from catching him on both your and his part, lol .
Yeah, definitely stress on both of our parts and positive would be if I just saw the swelling going down or him becoming more active.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top