What Puffer and FW Puffers

tcamos said:
Even though a 10 gallon tank seems big enough please understand that it's actually a rather small tank.
The 36 gallon is a tank you can work with. If you have your heart set on a puffer, like a green spotted puffer which is a great beginner puffer, then perhaps you can rehome the other fish you have and use that tank for the puffer.

Dwarf puffers will work in the 10 gallon and if you are sure to buy only one male, two if the tank is heavily planted, and the rest females you can manage to have a few in there. It's the males that you really have to worry about when it comes to territorial aggression. I kept two males and eight females in a 29 gallon tank. It was planted with tall plants like Amazon swords. It also had other fish in it and the dwarfs were fine with them.

So, if you want puffers in the 10 gallon then it's dwarfs. If you want bigger puffers then you need to get another tank or use that 36 gallon.

Ah the thing is, mine were male and female and the female killed the male. And sexing them when they are this big ------- is hard :/ I'd still say only 2 in the 10 gallon. It's only 2 gallons bigger than mine was.

They're only ever that big. ;)
I've had great experience with my puffers. I can't speak to your particular experience, sounds like a bad one. :(

tcamos said:
They're only ever that big.
wink.png

I've had great experience with my puffers. I can't speak to your particular experience, sounds like a bad one.
sad.png

They get bigger than this ------- They reach about 1.5-2" long as you can't breed them till they get to that size. Also, mine were about an inch before they started fighting.

Edit: They get to an inch. I was thinking of another species. And mine were fully grown when they started fighting. Definitely male and female and the female killed them male.

Ok how bout this what about turning it into a clam, snail,crab,lobster ETC tank any sudggestions

I'll leave this to you tcamos. I only know about puffers really, an Axolotls but a 10 gallon isn't big enough for an Axolotl.

Well I really think I've said what needs to be said and so has everyone else. I think by this time you've heard how hard they are to keep, what challenges come with them, and that only a dwarf puffer is right for a 10 gallon tank.

I agree with Paradise that whenever you think there might be a problem then go with caution. Paradise is totally right in saying that they are difficult to sex and since that's the only way I would ever recommend several I feel the advice to keep only a couple is perfect. That also gives you a chance to understand the fish better and make sure you know everything it needs before trying to keep more or larger ones.

Puffers are my thing and I've kept literally dozens of them over the years so it's very possible that my good experience is due to my own experience keeping them.

I recommend you go with Paradise's advice and be cautious because that's always the best advice for someone just starting out with a new species.

Go slow, build up knowledge, don't risk the fish. You have Paradise telling you about horrible carnage so you MUST consider that in any choice you make.

As for newts, or Axolotls if that's the official name...I have kept fire newts and that's all so I do not have a lot to say on them. I have very limited experience and that was quite a few years ago when I was a teen.

tcamos said:
Well I really think I've said what needs to be said and so has everyone else. I think by this time you've heard how hard they are to keep, what challenges come with them, and that only a dwarf puffer is right for a 10 gallon tank.

I agree with Paradise that whenever you think there might be a problem then go with caution. Paradise is totally right in saying that they are difficult to sex and since that's the only way I would ever recommend several I feel the advice to keep only a couple is perfect. That also gives you a chance to understand the fish better and make sure you know everything it needs before trying to keep more or larger ones.

Puffers are my thing and I've kept literally dozens of them over the years so it's very possible that my good experience is due to my own experience keeping them.

I recommend you go with Paradise's advice and be cautious because that's always the best advice for someone just starting out with a new species.

Go slow, build up knowledge, don't risk the fish. You have Paradise telling you about horrible carnage so you MUST consider that in any choice you make.

As for newts, or Axolotls if that's the official name...I have kept fire newts and that's all so I do not have a lot to say on them. I have very limited experience and that was quite a few years ago when I was a teen.

Thank you and I am just saying what is best for someone new to keeping them. I made the mistake of trying to breed them once I managed to sex them and the female just killed the male. They were separate to begin with and then they reached maturity, I sexed them and tried breeding them. They were my first puffers and my last so far though I hope to keep them again in the future and just start slowly again.

Axolotl's are not exactly newts lol. They are Salamander's :)

I like to give lots of information and sometimes in the giving it seems like I am approving of a certain course of action. I want to make sure that I'm just putting the info out there but that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea for someone starting out.

Puffers are my favorite fish and I really get into them. That excitement for them can sometimes come off as if I think everyone should keep them. I don't think that!

I think the OP should have enough information from this thread to decide and know if he's doing it right to start or wrong.

Ah...salamanders...I've kept some that I caught locally but that was when I was like 8 years old...I didn't know what I was doing then and don't now. They lived out of luck I think then we put them back where we found them.

Ok we can close this topic but I have another question that I will start a new topic for

Okay...hope this one gave you enough information.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back