What Loach Should I get for my Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What kind of loach should I get for my fish tank?

• Clown Loach

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Kuhli Loach

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Horsehead Loach

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Weather Loach

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yoyo Loach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zebra Loach

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MagicGirl33

Reaction score
I really want a loach too! Keep in mind I organised these polls to fit almost all the other fish I want to get so the water parameters are taken care of. also please pick 2 because loaches are one of my favourite types of fish!

This is the same response I gave for your tetra thread. :)

What other fishes are in the tank?

How long has the tank been set up for?

Do you have a picture of the tank?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Please note, not all members of this forum use gallons and we don't all know how big a 240 gallon tank is. The tank could be tall and narrow or wide and low. These factors affect what fish can be kept. :)

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Without the above information, you are asking the equivalent of how long should a piece of string be :)

This is the same response I gave for your tetra thread. :)

What other fishes are in the tank?

How long has the tank been set up for?

Do you have a picture of the tank?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Please note, not all members of this forum use gallons and we don't all know how big a 240 gallon tank is. The tank could be tall and narrow or wide and low. These factors affect what fish can be kept. :)

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Without the above information, you are asking the equivalent of how long should a piece of string be :)
Wow. Lots of questions. Anyway, so I want to put in a peaceful pleco, hopefully some tetras, maybe a silver dollar fish (probably not), and a pearl gourami but these options will probably change depending on what loach or pleco I get.
My tank is about halfway through the nitrate cycle (2ish weeks)
I do not have a picture of the tank yet, I'm hoping to take one when it looks a little nicer and I'm not ready to share images on here yet (due to technical issues)
Also my tank is 79" long, 25.6" wide and 25.6" high.
Sadly, my local pet store does not test water for us so I'm going to have to wait until my test kits arrive.

For GH, and possibly KH, look on your water provider's website for hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement as there are several units they could use. If they give KH, they'll call it alkalinity. Again you need a number and the unit. They may also give the pH, which they may call 'hydrogen ion'.

GH or hardness is the most important parameter for choosing fish. We should aim to keep fish which originate in water with similar hardness to our tap water.

Can I ask how you are cycling the tank? With both fishless and fish-in cycling, you need a test kit. Only silent/plant cycling can be done without.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back