WHAT IS THIS?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That’s a damselfly nymph.

A predatory nymph that will become a dragonfly when becomes adult.

It will basically predate on your small fish and shrimps unfortunately.

Would recommend taking this out and disposing of.

Easiest method is to use a syphon hose, fill with water as usual, thumb over the end of hose and other end of hose to hover just above the nymph then take thumb off end of hose and suck up the nymph into syphon hose and into the bucket.

That’s what I did when had nymphs in my tank years ago.

You can try using a net but not that easy as they are deceptively quick swimmers.

Nasty but very fascinating critters.
Dang, it’s ugly. I say suck him out with a siphon & flush.

Respect for the fire tetra! :oops:

T
I got part of the little devil and the fish in a pic. I think the fish keeps picking it up and chewing on what's left. I got a good look while it was floating and it's definitely the nymph. LOL I can't believe how relieved I am.

Attachments

• PXL_20211011_211055741.jpg
    PXL_20211011_211055741.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 36
I got part of the little devil and the fish in a pic. I think the fish keeps picking it up and chewing on what's left. I got a good look while it was floating and it's definitely the nymph. LOL I can't believe how relieved I am.

Sure looks like the remains of a head from a nymph.

If that’s the case then that’s probably the best thing to happen to be entirely honest with you :nod:

Circle of life and all that jazz ;)

Only joking. I caught a cricket and a spider in the house & released them outside. Use Havaheart live traps for rodents.

Any chance you could be introducing something undesirable into a habitat they are not native to?
Ok... Rodents... Especially if its an infestation... I would say: "Sorry but the purge is coming"

Never had an infestation. Live in the woods & an occasional creature gets in, including a flying squirrel once. Tiny cute guy.
Aww... When I say "rodents" ig I mean rats and mice... I dont mind pet ones but when a wild one comes in and finds a food source they'll bring their buddies for a feast.

You lot must live in nice houses because the last place I lived in had more wildlife inside than outside. When I first moved in there were ants all over the place including in the walls and under the floors. They used to eat paper and drink toilet water. I had to keep my toilet paper in an airtight container to stop the ants eating it. They ate mail/ bills too. I would go into the bathroom in the morning and the entire toilet would be covered in ants and they were drinking the dunny water. And yes I flush every time, the ants were apparently just thirsty.

I dealt with the ants and then had a moth plague with thousands of tiny moths appearing inside at night. As soon as I turned the light on they all took off and hid.

After the moth plague was the millipede mobs, and there were literally thousands in piles crawling under doors and through the gaps in the sliding windows.

I had cockroach problems whenever a neighbour went into their shed and disturbed the rotten bugs. I would see thousands of roaches crawling over, under and through the gaps in the fence and would have hundreds inside the house for the next few weeks. They were so bad at times if you went outside at night and walked on the grass, the ground would crunch underfoot and the entire ground would be covered in roaches. These were introduced roaches too, not native ones.

Then came the micro flies that were so small they would land on the fly screen and walk through the gaps in the flyscreen wire before flying off. These flies would deliberately fly into your eyes, up your nose and into your mouth and ears. I have no idea why they did this but it was bloody annoying and used to drive me up the wall.

All the time these bugs were everywhere, the spiders were also coming inside and when I left the place, there were hundreds of spiders consisting of over 10 species living happily right through the house. Yes I used to go on a killing spree every now and then but they bred and moved in faster than I could kill them.

The last 6 months I was there and I had the mouse plague, which came from the jerk out the back who knocked down a couple of sheds in his backyard. Within 24 hours of him doing that I had mice in the house.

I had giant gold beetles flying around inside. Slugs and snails came in. There was even a snake that got in somehow, along with numerous lizards and geckos, and cats everywhere out the back at night and sometimes they came inside too if I left the back door open.

Most of these things came inside while the house was closed up so I don't know how they got in but they did.

You lot must live in nice houses because the last place I lived in had more wildlife inside than outside. When I first moved in there were ants all over the place including in the walls and under the floors. They used to eat paper and drink toilet water. I had to keep my toilet paper in an airtight container to stop the ants eating it. They ate mail/ bills too. I would go into the bathroom in the morning and the entire toilet would be covered in ants and they were drinking the dunny water. And yes I flush every time, the ants were apparently just thirsty.

I dealt with the ants and then had a moth plague with thousands of tiny moths appearing inside at night. As soon as I turned the light on they all took off and hid.

After the moth plague was the millipede mobs, and there were literally thousands in piles crawling under doors and through the gaps in the sliding windows.

I had cockroach problems whenever a neighbour went into their shed and disturbed the rotten bugs. I would see thousands of roaches crawling over, under and through the gaps in the fence and would have hundreds inside the house for the next few weeks. They were so bad at times if you went outside at night and walked on the grass, the ground would crunch underfoot and the entire ground would be covered in roaches. These were introduced roaches too, not native ones.

Then came the micro flies that were so small they would land on the fly screen and walk through the gaps in the flyscreen wire before flying off. These flies would deliberately fly into your eyes, up your nose and into your mouth and ears. I have no idea why they did this but it was bloody annoying and used to drive me up the wall.

All the time these bugs were everywhere, the spiders were also coming inside and when I left the place, there were hundreds of spiders consisting of over 10 species living happily right through the house. Yes I used to go on a killing spree every now and then but they bred and moved in faster than I could kill them.

The last 6 months I was there and I had the mouse plague, which came from the jerk out the back who knocked down a couple of sheds in his backyard. Within 24 hours of him doing that I had mice in the house.

I had giant gold beetles flying around inside. Slugs and snails came in. There was even a snake that got in somehow, along with numerous lizards and geckos, and cats everywhere out the back at night and sometimes they came inside too if I left the back door open.

Most of these things came inside while the house was closed up so I don't know how they got in but they did.
Where... In the universe did you live then... That sounded like a HUGE problem... I mean we get millipedes and an occasional cockroach but never that... Did you ever spray deterrents?

Aww... When I say "rodents" ig I mean rats and mice... I dont mind pet ones but when a wild one comes in and finds a food source they'll bring their buddies for a feast.
Think my dogs would chase any invaders out, other than a occasional intruder.

Where... In the universe did you live then... That sounded like a HUGE problem... I mean we get millipedes and an occasional cockroach but never that... Did you ever spray deterrents?
I was in Falcon, a suburb about 15km south of Mandurah in Western Australia (WA). Mandurah is about 80km south of Perth, the capital city of WA. It was a coastal suburb and was well developed with houses and paths, and very few trees or bushland. The main problems were caused by the council spraying chemicals everywhere and killing the birds and plants. This meant there were few insect predators. Following on from that was most people in the area used an ant powder that contained Fipronil or something else and both chemicals killed all insects and spiders. This killed all the bees, wasps, praying mantis or other predatory insects, and when an insect bred in the area, there was nothing to control it. Finally it was caused by dirty neighbours that couldn't/ wouldn't clean up their sheds or do anything to control the pests.

It was stressful and my neighbours must have thought I was nuts going off all the time.

I don't like killing things and initially tried using natural repellants but they didn't do anything. I tried stepping on things and catching and moving things outside. But eventually it became too much and I went nuts and started using alcohol in a spray bottle and a cigarette lighter. By the end of it I was pretty close to looney bin status and had zero tolerance for anything that moved. It was awful.

There were also flies that would appear between September and January. They were horrible bloody things. You literally couldn't go outside during the day otherwise they mugged you. And this continued for several hours after the sun went down. They didn't go away when you waved your hand about. They were persistent and would be straight up your nose, in your mouth and eyes. You would have so many on your back while walking along it looked like you were wearing a black shirt. The locals would say "the flies are friendly today", while I would be doing the crazy dance waving my arms about screaming and yelling bloody murder at them. I'm sure the locals had a good laugh after they saw me trying to shoo the flies away.

During spring the flying ants would come out and they would be so bad you couldn't see the end of the driveway. The local crows and magpies (birds) would be sitting on the driveways eating the flying ants as they crawled out of the holes in the ground. The birds would eat so many ants they could barely fly away at the end of the day. And they didn't make any impact on the insects. For every ant eaten, 10 more would escape. You could see streams of them just crawling out and flying away. I walked down the road one day to go to the shop. By the time I passed 3 houses, I was literally covered in flying ants and had to return home because they were crawling all over me.

I was in Falcon, a suburb about 15km south of Mandurah in Western Australia (WA). Mandurah is about 80km south of Perth, the capital city of WA. It was a coastal suburb and was well developed with houses and paths, and very few trees or bushland. The main problems were caused by the council spraying chemicals everywhere and killing the birds and plants. This meant there were few insect predators. Following on from that was most people in the area used an ant powder that contained Fipronil or something else and both chemicals killed all insects and spiders. This killed all the bees, wasps, praying mantis or other predatory insects, and when an insect bred in the area, there was nothing to control it. Finally it was caused by dirty neighbours that couldn't/ wouldn't clean up their sheds or do anything to control the pests.

It was stressful and my neighbours must have thought I was nuts going off all the time.

I don't like killing things and initially tried using natural repellants but they didn't do anything. I tried stepping on things and catching and moving things outside. But eventually it became too much and I went nuts and started using alcohol in a spray bottle and a cigarette lighter. By the end of it I was pretty close to looney bin status and had zero tolerance for anything that moved. It was awful.

There were also flies that would appear between September and January. They were horrible bloody things. You literally couldn't go outside during the day otherwise they mugged you. And this continued for several hours after the sun went down. They didn't go away when you waved your hand about. They were persistent and would be straight up your nose, in your mouth and eyes. You would have so many on your back while walking along it looked like you were wearing a black shirt. The locals would say "the flies are friendly today", while I would be doing the crazy dance waving my arms about screaming and yelling bloody murder at them. I'm sure the locals had a good laugh after they saw me trying to shoo the flies away.

During spring the flying ants would come out and they would be so bad you couldn't see the end of the driveway. The local crows and magpies (birds) would be sitting on the driveways eating the flying ants as they crawled out of the holes in the ground. The birds would eat so many ants they could barely fly away at the end of the day. And they didn't make any impact on the insects. For every ant eaten, 10 more would escape. You could see streams of them just crawling out and flying away. I walked down the road one day to go to the shop. By the time I passed 3 houses, I was literally covered in flying ants and had to return home because they were crawling all over me.
This is in Australia?? Jeez... Yah, after a while I think I'd be pretty annoyed as well. By the point you were at, I would've been dumping poison on the bugs and covering my self in deterrents... HECK, that house probably wouldnt even be standing if I was the one there 😂😂

Last edited by a moderator:
This is in Australia?? Jeez... Yah, after a while I think I'd be pretty annoyed as well. By the point you were at, I would've been dumping poison on the bugs and covering my self in deterrents... HECK, that house probably wouldnt even be standing if I was the one there 😂😂
I cursed in this post? I never do... It must have been a typo cause seriously I wouldnt have cursed... Sorry for that 😕😬

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back