What Is This Massive Fish

-SPB-

Fish Addict
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
778
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
Stevenage, UK
As the title says.

giant-fish.jpg
 
It's massive.
Hope they let it go again after the picture was taken.
 
Thanks nick16 for the info. My nephew was looking and asked me what it was, i'll show him this thread.

I'm with you wilder, hope they put it back, it's a lovely specimen

Just read this on wikipedia and was shocked, what a horrible way to die:

Since the arapaima needs to swim up to breathe air, traditional arapaima fishers often catch them by first harpooning them and then clubbing them dead.
 
Poor things. Bet that one didn't survive then.
 
Just read this on wikipedia and was shocked, what a horrible way to die:

Since the arapaima needs to swim up to breathe air, traditional arapaima fishers often catch them by first harpooning them and then clubbing them dead.


What else do you expect them to do? Put it to sleep with clove oil? they're traditional hunters, and no doubt been doing it for thousands of years.

Nice fish, I bet it made good eatin' :)
 
aparently there is about 70KG of meat on one of those things and its delicious.
 
What shocks me is the amount of people who try to keep these things in aquariums:rolleyes:.

They are awesome fish though.
 
I saw that one too! Impressive fish!

that is a great show! i got hooked in a couple weeks ago. I missed that episode but I know you can see them online! The one about the aligator gar is pretty cool.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top