What Is Flaming?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flaming, also known as bashing, is hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. I guess some people take exception to hybrids, for whatever reason.

As already said, it's referring to people bashing hybrid fish. I've seen quite a bit of this in regards to blood parrots elsewhere on the nets, but haven't looked around much in the world of hybrids.

saying things such as hybridizing fish is cruel and the born are too deformed and should be put out of there misery etc etc etc is what the forum is telling you not to do.

This forum is for the discussion of hybrids and their care. Flaming and bashing of hybrids or their keepers will not be tolerated and all such posts/threads will be deleted immiedietly. All posts concerning hybrid species should be posted here and in no other forums.

As stated in the pinned topic, please keep it within the Hybrid Section rules.

Dunno what the big taboo about hybrids is, unless the resulting fish where in discomfort, see far more harm in those goldfish who can hardly swim guess they are selectively bred cant see them surviving in the wild lol, hybridization can and does happen in the wild so yeah, not the end of the world. Flaming is more people kicking up for no justified reason or giving no justified reason n just wanna have a go.

Dunno what the big taboo about hybrids is, unless the resulting fish where in discomfort, see far more harm in those goldfish who can hardly swim guess they are selectively bred cant see them surviving in the wild lol, hybridization can and does happen in the wild so yeah, not the end of the world. Flaming is more people kicking up for no justified reason or giving no justified reason n just wanna have a go.
+1. I unintentionally hybridized platys and swordtail (didn't know they could interbreed when i got them) and they are doing very well. I know its not quite as intricate into hybridizing as some go, but like you said, there is no discomfort or damage to the fish....and i do feel for those goldfish that are selectively bred to the point they have trouble swimming and such.

+1. I unintentionally hybridized platys and swordtail (didn't know they could interbreed when i got them) and they are doing very well. I know its not quite as intricate into hybridizing as some go, but like you said, there is no discomfort or damage to the fish....and i do feel for those goldfish that are selectively bred to the point they have trouble swimming and such.

the problem most of us have with Hybridisation is. NONE (ok, very few) of you are qualified to make the sort of determinations, that are needed, in order to ensure YOUR GUESSES about the fishes well-being. are in fact correct..
the fact the fish does not have three heads or, other, obvious deformities.,does not make it healthy.
Personally, I'd put Goldfish breeders, who act as is stated, in the same category.. lol, and Pedigree dog/cat breeders too.
in nature fish that can interbreed, and live in the same area, dont (generally). there is a reason for that. even the fish know its bad for their group.

is it too much to ask fishkeepers to use the same logic?

the problem most of us have with Hybridisation is. NONE (ok, very few) of you are qualified to make the sort of determinations, that are needed, in order to ensure YOUR GUESSES about the fishes well-being. are in fact correct..
the fact the fish does not have three heads or, other, obvious deformities.,does not make it healthy.
Personally, I'd put Goldfish breeders, who act as is stated, in the same category.. lol, and Pedigree dog/cat breeders too.
in nature fish that can interbreed, and live in the same area, dont (generally). there is a reason for that. even the fish know its bad for their group.

is it too much to ask fishkeepers to use the same logic?

Same thing goes for all fish then? lol, not every fish especially in the fish trade will be healthy cos of inbreeding etc, but i bet you've brought heavily inbred fish before like fancy guppies, same as with pedigre dogs, makes them weaker. If fish are that closely related that they can breed naturally theres no reason why there should be a problem with the outcome. I've caught roach/bream hybrids before so yeh lol. IMO if the fish is bright and eating with no other signs of stress of discomfort then its healthy, without asking the fish how hes feeling or dissecting it to find out if its been in comfort or not.

Same thing goes for all fish then? lol, not every fish especially in the fish trade will be healthy cos of inbreeding etc, but i bet you've brought heavily inbred fish before like fancy guppies, same as with pedigre dogs, makes them weaker. If fish are that closely related that they can breed naturally theres no reason why there should be a problem with the outcome. I've caught roach/bream hybrids before so yeh lol. IMO if the fish is bright and eating with no other signs of stress of discomfort then its healthy, without asking the fish how hes feeling or dissecting it to find out if its been in comfort or not.
Inbreeding is not the same thing as cross breeding. My juveniles are cross bred. They are platy/swordtail hybrids. Mating a purebred dog with its sister to maintain genetic integrity is inbreeding. Basically, what has happened in my community, is the same thing as breeding a beagle with a cocker spaniel. There is no harm in this as the animals are relatively the same size, but it produces a modified species of animal. Now if I were to let my juveniles mate with their mother, then I would have a problem.

I think breeding platys x swordtails is fine. As there are no obvious signs of discomfort to the offspring. They will live a good life.
Whereas with the blood parrot- they can swim properly, they cant eat properly. These live a poor life.

I think breeding platys x swordtails is fine. As there are no obvious signs of discomfort to the offspring. They will live a good life.
Whereas with the blood parrot- they can swim properly, they cant eat properly. These live a poor life.
+1

I think hybrid fish are some true beauties, but I feel for the ones that have issues and cannot truely thrive.

+1

I think hybrid fish are some true beauties, but I feel for the ones that have issues and cannot truely thrive.

I think blood parrots are gorgeous, but i wont buy any, and boycott the breeders.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back