What Is Flaming?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

[the reason you are hidden away in your own private hole (where, generally, people are not allowed to make adverse points) is, most keepers agree with me.fortunately.
It is not all hybrids though. Some hybridization occur in closely related species, not neccessarily through human interferance. Endler/guppies, Platys/swords, as well as numerous species of Mbunas are known to interbreed. And these hybrids are living quality of life that is good. One of my platy/sword hybrids, that I have raised since it was born, just had her first batch of babies. So, she swims fine, eats fine, and can produce young.

So it is not all hybridizations that are a big problem. I agree with hybridization amongst closely related species, but only if you are keeping them. As someone said, people selling hybrids as pure species is just wrong. I would not attempt to force something on a species that is not known to already occurr. I give my babies away for free as they are not pure species of platys or swordtails, and anyone who takes my babies know that they are getting hybrids.
What is closey related? What you believe is closely related could be very distantly related to another. I have hybrid snakes. It is an intrageneric hybrid, meaning its a hybrid across different genera. Is this closely related enough for you? The hybrids are perfectly healthy and can produce fertile offspring. Heck, a 30 species cross WOULD be fertile. Raptorrex believes the next generations of hybrids will look like its grandmother. Have you seen a Red Texas? Tell me that looks like a texas or a Blood Parrot. How about a blood parrot? They don't look like a midas or a Synspilum? Yes, you will have a few that will look more like one species or another, That is where culling comes in. I plan on making a Texaguar( Texas X Jaguar). The 1st generation of males will be sterile but the 2nd and 3rd generation will be fertile. Is that OK? These hybrids are for me and and any hobbyists that might be interested. There are a lot of closeted hybrid fans. There is very likely more than you think. Many Hybrid keepers quit going on forums because butthurt purists don't stop bashing on them and don't except an opinion other than there own. Some of the things you believe are fact only apply to certain animals such as Ligers. My hobbies (cichlids and snakes) don't follow your "facts". I see these arguments all they time. I'll tell you what happens in the end. No one wins and Few if any opinions are changes.
I'm not against hybridization, I am against experimentation. If you have done your research and know what to expect from the hybrids your create, then go for it. But what got to me was when it was stated that anyone is qualified to "experiment." I would be wrong of me to judge people who hybridize as most of my livebearer stock is hybrid. I think it is awesome that you have researched and know what to expect from the species your cross. Heck, I would love to see pictures.

[the reason you are hidden away in your own private hole (where, generally, people are not allowed to make adverse points) is, most keepers agree with me.fortunately.
It is not all hybrids though. Some hybridization occur in closely related species, not neccessarily through human interferance. Endler/guppies, Platys/swords, as well as numerous species of Mbunas are known to interbreed. And these hybrids are living quality of life that is good. One of my platy/sword hybrids, that I have raised since it was born, just had her first batch of babies. So, she swims fine, eats fine, and can produce young.

So it is not all hybridizations that are a big problem. I agree with hybridization amongst closely related species, but only if you are keeping them. As someone said, people selling hybrids as pure species is just wrong. I would not attempt to force something on a species that is not known to already occurr. I give my babies away for free as they are not pure species of platys or swordtails, and anyone who takes my babies know that they are getting hybrids.
What is closey related? What you believe is closely related could be very distantly related to another. I have hybrid snakes. It is an intrageneric hybrid, meaning its a hybrid across different genera. Is this closely related enough for you? The hybrids are perfectly healthy and can produce fertile offspring. Heck, a 30 species cross WOULD be fertile. Raptorrex believes the next generations of hybrids will look like its grandmother. Have you seen a Red Texas? Tell me that looks like a texas or a Blood Parrot. How about a blood parrot? They don't look like a midas or a Synspilum? Yes, you will have a few that will look more like one species or another, That is where culling comes in. I plan on making a Texaguar( Texas X Jaguar). The 1st generation of males will be sterile but the 2nd and 3rd generation will be fertile. Is that OK? These hybrids are for me and and any hobbyists that might be interested. There are a lot of closeted hybrid fans. There is very likely more than you think. Many Hybrid keepers quit going on forums because butthurt purists don't stop bashing on them and don't except an opinion other than there own. Some of the things you believe are fact only apply to certain animals such as Ligers. My hobbies (cichlids and snakes) don't follow your "facts". I see these arguments all they time. I'll tell you what happens in the end. No one wins and Few if any opinions are changes.
I'm not against hybridization, I am against experimentation. If you have done your research and know what to expect from the hybrids your create, then go for it. But what got to me was when it was stated that anyone is qualified to "experiment." I would be wrong of me to judge people who hybridize as most of my livebearer stock is hybrid. I think it is awesome that you have researched and know what to expect from the species your cross. Heck, I would love to see pictures.
I have done research. It was dumb of me to say anyone is qualified to breed hybrids. I agree a good amount of research should be done before any hybridization attempts. I do think it is okay to experiment sometimes though. A fertile Texas Jaguar hybrid has not been bred to my knowledge, Only 50/50 Jaguar Texas hybrids where the males are sterile. I plan on making a fertile hybrid that is 62.5% Texas and 37.5% Jaguar. This has never been done, so in a way I am experimenting. Most of my points were aimed toward raptorrex. I have a couple Pictures of a 50/50 Jaguar Texas cross but its not mine
post-658-1110205760.jpg
IMG_7876.jpg

I want to breed for a long body with worm pearling. These are just a straight Texas Jaguar Hybrid, I think wit selective breeding, it could become something even nicer!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back