What Do You Get Out Of Fishkeeping ?

It's at that point I normally find I have a wet carpet too :rolleyes:

I've been there a few times. Or looking at the bucket and noticing that the end of the syphon is going to come out and there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop the impending mini-flood.

I love fishkeeping, love doing the maintenance especially when my killi's come and nibble at my hands. Just watching them swim about and greeting you when you go near the tank. Everything about it really lol!!!!
 
Shelagh, Such a fantastic & honest post. :) I think you are amazing

I got into fish keeping by chance (but always wanted to). Fish are beautiful, interesting and addictive lol

I think that I am now one of the "completely nuts" fishkeepers. really. my kids don't understand the deal, luckily my partner is as mad as me, and loves them just as much.

My 16 year old son is amazed that I watch the fish and not the TV. lol I think I know which is best . (Also, my big tank is right next to the computer, and that is why it takes so long for me to write a reply) :fish: :fish:

What do I get out of it? A sense of achievement, an ongoing project, and nature in my living room. and hopefully, most of all content, happy fish!
 
It's at that point I normally find I have a wet carpet too :rolleyes:

I've been there a few times. Or looking at the bucket and noticing that the end of the syphon is going to come out and there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop the impending mini-flood.

hahaha, i've been there so many times...it seems every waterchange i do, results in a carpet cleaning also..
i live in a dorm..it really sucks cause sometimes that hose is really moving water and it gets away from me and under the desk or w/e...feel sorry for the guy that lives in here next haha
 
Well I got into fish keeping because I wanted a pet, my Dad lives in an apartment (but I am allergic cats), and my Mom is allergic to anything with fur/feathers, and my Dads girlfriend was a bit squeamish with reptiles and little rodents and such, so I was really limited to fish. I found it an awesome experience getting the tank set up, and then going to the LFS and seeing all the fish, and fish I could choose from. It was just really neat to me. Also learning so much about fish keeping, it was much more complex then I had first thought. One day I was looking at pictures of different sizes of tanks on Google, and stumbled upon ratemyfishtank.com. While browsing photos on there I again stumbled upon a photo of a Brilliant Turquoise Discus and was mesmerized with the colors and shape of the fish, I was awestruck to find out they were freshwater. Browsing a few weeks later I looked at the "advice" box on one of the pictures and saw a link to this site, and that's how my real love for practical fish keeping began. I think fish keeping is an amazing hobby, just knowing I am taking care of my fish properly makes me feel good. I know I am doing the right thing for them, and it makes gives me a feeling of euphoria and accomplishment.

Shelagh, congratulations on the sobriety, I know it can be very tough, as people in my family have had to do the same. You should be proud of your self for accomplishing it! :)
 
Keeping fish gives me something else to do when the kids are at nursery and school
i have MS and get extremly fatigued - but cant sleep very well cos of the pain , i also have problems concentrating on things and keeping to routines

Now i have more fish tanks , i get up in the morning sort the kids out and when they've gone to school and nursery (if i cant take them neighbour does) i'm no longer just sat zonked out on the sofa , i now have a routine set (by alarms - cos i forget to do things)
i come back from school run , let the dog out give him his meds and brush him , turn on all the tank lights (we dont have timers to make sure i do it and check the fish) check everyone is ok - which gets me moving around the flat :) then uncover and feed and clean the budgies , then feed the fish (not all get fed everyday) by the time i've done all that the alarms going off to collect lacy from nursery
It's surprising how much more my days are filled just by having the tanks and i'm getting better at doing routines and i cant not do them cos they rely on me

not sure if making much sense or just warbling cos have taken my tablets lmao
 
1. Entertainment
2. Stress reliever. (Just stare at the tank, and eventually then you forget about the bad stuff. :D
3. A feeling of accomplishment
4. Lots of more responsibilities.
5. Empty wallet.
6. A nickname that would separate me from the other Kevin's in highschool.

:) I PLAN on sticking with fishkeeping for many years!
 
Shelagh, if people can talk to plants and elicit a positive response in the form of improved health and growth, wouldn't we be nuts NOT to talk to our fish?

Personally, I think sanity is overrated, and I have done a lot of stressing and grieving over various fish, but I COULD NOT manage without them.
I trashed the tendons in both hands and arms several years ago, had an unpleasant lab diagnosis of a progressive disorder, lost my ability to do almost anything, (although having gradual, almost imperceptible improvement in the tendons over time) along with my horse, home, my life, my income (apart from my horse, such as they were, lol) and moved back in with my parents after living on my own for years.

I could carry things over my left arm, although it hurt like a swine, at least it didn't just instantly 'go' on me, and I could carry dump buckets with the edges on my curled fingertips (the one position using things not trashed, because not otherwise used) with a careful hand and arm position straight up and down and tip the bucket for dumping with a knee, and manage rather sloppy and time consuming water changes (fouled up my fingers as well, with thumbs the absolute worst, and one elbow too-often outright refusing to bend or straighten,) and sufficient fish and dog related stuff to get by - I could still DO something, which meant SUCH a lot.

I was mostly eating a slice of bread a day, as getting anything else was too slow, frustrating and painful, although I did eventually manage to get even tins of dog food open when required, etc - I think and hope my animals never suffered (apart from a lack of physical petting for my dog) as a result.
Without my dog and fish, there would have been really nothing of any use remaining that I WAS able to do in that period.
Although I did get practice swearing. (My area of expertise.)

And while I often dropped the lightweight, disposable water glasses and coffee cups I could barely manage for the first year or so, (drinking through a straw rather than trying to lift and hold them, once carried over to where I sat,) I never once actually dropped anything live or broke anything fish-related.
(Of course, I'd do things like that first, before my arms worsened with everything done through the day, but still, thank gawd...)
I couldn't do much of anything for long, and, while gradually improving, compared to the so-distant normal, still can't, although more than before every season, as far as the tendons go; it's still too easy to sometimes overdo and wind up having trouble turning a doorknob to let my dog out or manage a cup of tea, but I generally do one large or several smaller waterchanges a day in rotation and have had to learn to not push to do too much at a time.

And I have access to the internet here at my parents, something I didn't have before - spent a LOT of time looking up 'fish stuff' and on forums.
I often get too tired and/or depressed to be able to talk to or face people in person, but I have my dog and my fish, so who needs a life, lol?

Many of the people on this board, like many pet owners off it, are suffering health issues, disabilities, emotional trauma, etc., and additional results such as depression, poverty from income loss or reduction, and a loss of respect from family members or others who can't remember you have problems or understand why you can't just 'shake it off and manage' with some semblance of normalcy, as you have may have managed to more or less do with other injuries and issues.
But as long as you can manage their needs, pets don't know or care about such things.
And not only do they fill your life and make it worth living, but they provide an imperative reason to keep going, because they utterly and absolutely depend on you.

All this apart from the more often discussed aspects of fishkeeping, such as the calming effects of fish watching, the beauty of an aquarium (not yet stricken with some new form of algae, lol,) the emotional attachment to fish who often have very definite personalities and may interact with us in a manner that sometimes surprises those who've not spent much time with fish.

Probably a lot of us could say we get almost everything out of fishkeeping - including the provision of the multi-tank channel obviating the need for TV, and balancing the cost of electicity used, in this and many ways.
They really ought to be tax-deductable as therapeutic and health-improving...
 
My tank started as I just wanted fish and had a cut out in a wall that was screaming for a tank. Then I became crazy about researching everything about them. I enjoy learning about all the types of fish and everything down to plants lighting you name it I looked it up at least once. It keeps my mind occupied.

It was when I was pregnant that my tank really helped me. It kept me busy when I was no longer working. It kept me grounded when my hormones were making me feel crazy. With out it I would have been bored out of my mind. Then at the end of my pregnancy all I did was wait and wait and get bigger and more and more uncomfortable. My fish tank kept my mind off all that. Honest to god I did a water change while in the first stage of labour before the contraction got bad.

Even with my baby I still make time for the weekly water changes and I still take time to just chill and watch my fish. Now my little girl watches them with me. We are even setting up a 55 gal that is cycling right now. I put my baby in her bouncy chair in the room with the tank and she loves to watch what I'm doing.

So I totally get what your saying.
 
I dunno really what I get out of it.
I think part of my obsession with the fish hobby is b/c I want to have children.
Me taking care of fish, maintaining the tanks, etc etc is somewhat filling that want.
 
no you arent a nutter & if you are then I dont want to be sane! I also talk to my fish & tickle the glass.

For me its a few different things, fish keeping is a huge therapy, i've had post natal depression twice & was starting to feel very low when I took up fishkeeping, I originally wanted chickens & a veggie patch but hubby talked me into fish (I think he wishes he hadnt somedays).

I have three kids from 16mths to 10yrs, the baby still doesnt sleep at night & is a very demanding little boy, my eldest daughters is full of hormones & my middle son is obsessed with poo & boobs lol, hubby works long hours & often works away so everyday is a challenge.

I found I was spending all my time & money on making everyone else happy, me & my hobbies came last in a very long list.

Thats all changed now, ok, so my needs will never come first in this house, but at least I can claim a higher place than before, I drag them out all over the place now, we go to the lfs at least twice a week, & we are off to collect new tank in 2 hrs.

Its been great for my eldest too, she's at that age where she's outgrown most toys, but is too young to enjoy teenage things, she loves the fish & is busy planning my next three tanks lol, its also good for my youngest as he is abit um, how do I put this nicely? a hyper, nutty little monster sometimes, the fish seem to have acalming influence on him, his first words every morning now are 'eh oh fishie fish'.

Its an absorbing,consuming,addictive, relaxing, tons of fun hobby!
 
Wow - these stories are amazing, keep them coming!

I can't match them... I'm just a nature lover, and I'm really into natural looking aquariums that look like you've lifted part of a stream into a glass tank and stuck it in your house. I've always wanted fish, and a few years ago I conned my parents into getting me a 5 gal. I then overstocked it with pregnant livebearers, so a few fry raisers resulted... you get the picture, it's up to 24 tanks and full blown MTS.

Right now they are definitely the stress relief, they keep my feet on the ground... you know, staring at some ember tetras doing their thing for a few minutes is a pretty good antidote to homework headaches.

But the main thing I get out of it is the fish really... betta keepers will understand what I mean, they have names, and individual personalities. They are just like any other pet - Shelagh tickles the glass, I tickle the fish. Literally... I have a brackish community with a heap of sailfin mollies in it. I know all of them by name and they know me - they will swim into my hand and just sit there. I swear they actually LIKE being touched.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top