You have four items on your shopping list:
A year spent sleeping in Europe;
The tears of my enemies;
A sense of the miraculous in everyday life;
and tuna.

I live in a very strange household.

@TheLavenderBadger
Sounds like an average shopping list to me 😆

Today is my fourth year anniversary of being associated with The Great TFF Forum . Way back in the olden days of 2019 I had but one tiny container with a single male Betta. I had not had an aquarium since 2007 at the time even though I was an on again off again aquarist since 1965. Today I have six real aquariums and several temporary containers for various Killifish breeding endeavors. Today I have a dedicated fish room and various live food cultures I keep. Today I have a subscription to Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine and a membership in the American Killifish Association.
Today I give recognition to The Great TFF Forum and its illustrious members for inspiring me to new and higher fish keeping goals , some realized and others in formulation. Is this a great hobby or what ?

Speaking of TFH do I get the feeling Axelrod in no longer held in esteem? I can't see the tax fraud issue being very influential.... :)
Herbert R. Axelrod passed away a few years ago and it is in poor taste to speak ill of the dead so I won’t. He was a genuine character according to his contemporaries and he seems to have had a reputation for abrasiveness, philanthropy and showmanship but he was a successful businessman who built an empire out of the pet trade. I read everything he printed when I was a kid in the 1960’s and he was a hero to me . Later on I read unkind things about him but I dismiss those things to retain my image of him as a tropical fish authority , photographer and explorer . Here is where social media is a bad thing. People who have never met a man repeat things they’ve heard but don’t really know. An ignorant fool only knows what other ignorant fools have said.

I started a decade or two later but his publications books and mag were about the only data I could find on topic locally. I would not know anything without those.. Only us old farts understand how hard it was to acquire information pre-internet.
Back in the olden days you read the Innes book and TFH material. That’s about all there was besides obscure things you might happen upon accidentally. But one very vital thing we had then that is scarce these days is local aquarium societies. Nothing beats interaction with fellow tropical fish hobbyists.

Besides trying to figure out my internship extreme bureaucracy (it's easier to get a tourist visa than this), yesterday I tried to draw my Betta splendens:

1685147005567.jpeg

The picture:
1685147042041.jpeg

Also, today I tried to pick more tiny BSFL for my betta (I have a BSFL culture). Tomorrow I should give for him and check if he'll approve or not, since these larvae have very good nutritional value (and I fished Oreochromis niloticus even under windy and cool days).

These were the tilapias I got June last year:
289056036_5165154350270407_8714953148780104391_n.jpg

288833189_5165154226937086_377781892353555068_n.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss. What was this black thing around his snout?

I had a Boxer for 13 years. She passed away last year and I wrote even poetry about her.

Well, I'll try to translate to English:

Thirteen infinite winters

Rests here, the creature
Sweet soul
And bravery from a murmillo

Eleven years ago
Originated even other lives
Eight lives were,
One of them passed away precociously

Rests here, the dog
Robust spirit
Delicate sentiments

It was a Saturday morning,
Hot suns, powerful,
Tiny was her,
Adopted by us

This spirit was a contrast
Gladiator forces
Fragile emotions

In her last years
Part of her visions was lost
She knew it, however, the light and the dark
She was unaware only of the signification
Because didn't see the obscure

If knew the human souls' suffering
Already said goodbye to them.
Because here passed away,
The dog with a sweet soul,

I'm sorry for your loss. What was this black thing around his snout?

I had a Boxer for 13 years. She passed away last year and I wrote even poetry about her.

Well, I'll try to translate to English:

Thirteen infinite winters

Rests here, the creature
Sweet soul

Eleven years ago
Originated even other lives
Eight lives were,
One of them passed away precociously

Rests here, the dog
Robust spirit
Delicate sentiments

It was a Saturday morning,
Hot suns, powerful,
Tiny was her,
Adopted by us

This spirit was a contrast
Gladiator forces
Fragile emotions

In her last years
Part of her visions was lost
She knew it, however, the light and the dark
She was unaware only of the signification
Because didn't see the obscure

If knew the human souls' suffering
Already said goodbye to them.
Because here passed away,
The dog with a sweet soul,
It’s a head halter called a gentle leader. It gently turns their head towards you if they pull, and doesn’t choke them like a collar does

I'm being thrilled to have central A/C again as it's been out for like 3 years. The A/C is water based with a chiller that pumps cold water through the building. The water goes through the cooling unit in each apartment. Sounds kind of odd but works. Anyway the old chiller went south and was replaced but there was a oil in it that was not flushed out. This oil contaminated the PVC lines destroying the entire system; both A/C and fire retardant sprinklers. Every line on both systems had to be replaced in a three story fifty unit building.

I will say that the management DID buy window units for all the apartments but a window unit really does not do the job for the entire apartment. At least they tried.

Today I gave a ride to a neighbor and I made some money, although the roads here are terrible. Giant potholes, dirt roads, several (tall) speed bumps, and the valetas (I don't know if there's an English word for this). I also sold some adult artemias to a fishkeeper.

Well, it's a 2013 Fiat Mille Fire Economy. Manual transmission, without power steering, air conditioner... despite this, I love him (because I simply like to drive, so I think it funny to drive even a Ford F-1000 with manual transmission). The 1.0 engine with 66 hp fits well with its low weight, the visibility's wonderful and it's easy to park in our several Brazilian cities, with narrow streets, as in Europe (okay, our infrastructure is poor). His suspension is robust for terrible roads, as well as his engine for our poor fuel.

heoFH6c.jpg

I know you may say that's an Uno. And it is, indeed ("Mille" is Italian for "one thousand"). It's a 1984 Uno with a FIRE engine, and rear suspension from 147 (Brazilian version for 127) because the rear suspension from the original Uno didn't resist the Brazilian roads.

niMxfdT.jpg

His fuel economy is better with ethanol, then I use this usually. The ethanol sold here is E0, that is, without any gas added to the mixture. There's an extra small tank for adding gas on the engine day, in situations during cold days.

In the past, Brazil exported some Unos to Europe (including Italy).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back