Just bought an acrylic aquarium

Jennet15 72

Fish Crazy
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Jul 20, 2026
Messages
285
Reaction score
389
Points
63
Location
Stourbridge, UK
I've been out today and bought a 24 litre acrylic aquarium that I will have room to sit next to my 80 litre tropical fish aquarium. I have long term disabilities that caused me to retire early and do not always have a brilliant amount of money, especially having to get my car sorted out today so that I can keep it on the road for the next year.

Does anyone else keep shrimps in acrylic aquarium? Please don't tell me you cannot keep shrimp in acrylic, or I may just cry. 🫣😜
 
Does anyone else keep shrimps in acrylic aquarium? Please don't tell me you cannot keep shrimp in acrylic, or I may just cry. 🫣😜
I've kept shrimps in an small acrylic tank in the past. I wouldn't know why not...
 
I've been out today and bought a 24 litre acrylic aquarium that I will have room to sit next to my 80 litre tropical fish aquarium. I have long term disabilities that caused me to retire early and do not always have a brilliant amount of money, especially having to get my car sorted out today so that I can keep it on the road for the next year.

Does anyone else keep shrimps in acrylic aquarium? Please don't tell me you cannot keep shrimp in acrylic, or I may just cry. 🫣😜
Just thought I should mention this, acrylic aquariums are easily scratched so be careful when cleaning yours. I think the typical magnet cleaning pads will scratch acrylic tanks.
 
Have got a sponge cleaner that feels like like my non scratch sponge in the kitchen, the one I use on Teflon coated saucepans, but thanks, I never thought of that. Still have an old magnetic one in my drawer where I have recently got the old beach cobbles out of that I had when I previously had aquarium (almost 40 years ago now). 🤣🤣😜
 
It could also be your fish QT...& then become a shrimp tank after your bigger tank is stocked with fish. No need to rush into many tanks...yet, lol. Almost all my QTs turned into permanent tanks...
 
I have a small acrylic tank with shrimp. I painted 3 sides black and rarely clean those, its shrimp food. This tank does have less plants and less control over lights than my others so does get more algae - I found this stuff brilliant https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DF32KWVT?tag=fishforums-20.
I bought a 10 pack in Aug 25 and still have half a pack. I also use it to clean the living room windows where my shepherd dog frightens off the Amazon delivery vans :rofl: . They turn around in the cul-de-sac in front of his window so he is very active there.
 
It could also be your fish QT...& then become a shrimp tank after your bigger tank is stocked with fish. No need to rush into many tanks...yet, lol. Almost all my QTs turned into permanent tanks...
I paid under $34 for it, so even though I still have 2 new tyres to get for my car following MOT, I recon I can easily afford to get another to use as a quarantine tank...... now then, race ya to the fish store!!! 🤪
 
May I ask what you feel would be best to use as a base for shrimp on this little tank for when I get it cycled please? I have pea gravel (eg. not sharp) and have always used this for my aquarium previously. Would that be suitable do you think, so I would have maybe a couple of small pieces of wood on top of this and anything else you may suggest?

@seangee My Rottweiler takes the place of your ?GS in our house, and I already have some of what you have linked to. 😊
 
I am not a shrimp expert but from what I experienced the little guy's sure poop a lot. Pea gravel might let the waste fall to the bottom of the tank, unfortunately for shrimp you cannot do industrial level gravel cleaning because you end up sucking up a lot of the shrimplets and you have to find them in the waste water bucket. It might be ok to settle between the gravel but then it might not, I used a type of sand for my shrimp which kept the poop on the surface making it easier to gently vacuum it off. I let my tank develop a reasonable algae growth before I added the shrimp. I raised Neocardinians only, they are easy to raise but initially kind of delicate, I lost 4 or 5 early on then hardly lost any as time went on.
 
Try sand. My red cherry are on small pebbles and I do not like that so much. But the colony has lived in that tank for about 15 years now. While this tank a 5.5 gal. (20.82L ) is used to hold 2 or 3 small fish as well. It has been shrimp only now for over 5 years for sure. My blues are in 3 tanks, all have many plants and two have small fish and an albino bristlenise pleco

My shrimp are all in tanks that are heavily planted. I almost never vacuum these as what that does, imo, is to remove plant food.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top